Petrichor Adventures

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The organisers have plans to improve the final 5 kms  :thumbup:

Starting and finishing in the historic Overberg town of Swellendam; the full distance route takes in many of the region’s most spectacular sights. The rolling gravel roads cut through the emerald green wheat fields and canary yellow Canola blooms. At the 100 kilometre mark the race crosses the Breede River on the country’s only remaining hand-drawn ferry. Before embarking on the Malgas Ferry riders will be able to refuel, enjoying a 45 minute neutral zone, on delicious roosterbrood – hot from the fire. The final 60 kilometres return to rolling hills; which the locals know as die Rûens, for the hills’ appearance like a series of backs stretching off towards the Langeberg Mountains. 

At the foot of the mountains the finish line awaits. As one approaches it the vegetation becomes greener, lusher, better nourished by the rain clouds which bank up against the high peaks above Swellendam. In previous years the final few kilometres have failed to live up to the splendour of the rest of the route. Not so in 2019, thanks to Swellendam Municipality. 

“We are thrilled that Swellendam Municipality have agreed to road closures in town, which allows us to provide a fitting end to the Chas Everitt Around The Pot - Overberg 100Miler - Presented by SEESA,” Rudolf Botha of Petrichor Adventures enthused. “The final five kilometres now take riders through town, showcasing some of the historic Cape Dutch architecture of Swellendam and providing an easier run into the finish at the Swellendam Showgrounds.”

The organisers have plans to improve the final 5 kms  :thumbup:

Starting and finishing in the historic Overberg town of Swellendam; the full distance route takes in many of the region’s most spectacular sights. The rolling gravel roads cut through the emerald green wheat fields and canary yellow Canola blooms. At the 100 kilometre mark the race crosses the Breede River on the country’s only remaining hand-drawn ferry. Before embarking on the Malgas Ferry riders will be able to refuel, enjoying a 45 minute neutral zone, on delicious roosterbrood – hot from the fire. The final 60 kilometres return to rolling hills; which the locals know as die Rûens, for the hills’ appearance like a series of backs stretching off towards the Langeberg Mountains. 

At the foot of the mountains the finish line awaits. As one approaches it the vegetation becomes greener, lusher, better nourished by the rain clouds which bank up against the high peaks above Swellendam. In previous years the final few kilometres have failed to live up to the splendour of the rest of the route. Not so in 2019, thanks to Swellendam Municipality. 

“We are thrilled that Swellendam Municipality have agreed to road closures in town, which allows us to provide a fitting end to the Chas Everitt Around The Pot - Overberg 100Miler - Presented by SEESA,” Rudolf Botha of Petrichor Adventures enthused. “The final five kilometres now take riders through town, showcasing some of the historic Cape Dutch architecture of Swellendam and providing an easier run into the finish at the Swellendam Showgrounds.”

Ag no man.... it was nice passing all the gravel bikes in the last 5km

Ag no man.... it was nice passing all the gravel bikes in the last 5km

Haha I think we will still be able to! That jeep track and singletrack next to the N2 is still 10km from the finish. 5km from the finish is where the single track next to the N2 stops. They will probably make us turn right onto Swellengrebel Road just after that N2 singletrack and take us through town instead of turning left on the gravel road that runs through the dodgy outskirts if I had to guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Ja its the same same, left or right, hope we go down the houses(like D.C) and not via main road dodging pedestrians with monthly groceries...

Thats going to be fast but will try out my 36 x 10 conversion. It worked lekker at Swartberg 100. AMPED to kick some GR ass...gulp

My wife decided a few weeks ago she wants to do a 100km race. I think Around the Pot 60miler is a good place to start. On the one hand I'm excited that she's starting to show interest in my hobby. This could get really fun in a year or two if she gains a bit of cycling fitness and we can do some proper events together as a team. On the other hand my target of sub 4 is now a target of sub 7 and my gat is already hating me..

Weather predicted to be 6 to 21 degrees C with no/little wind.Nice chilly start

Waayyy too soon to rely on that prediction..

My wife decided a few weeks ago she wants to do a 100km race. I think Around the Pot 60miler is a good place to start. On the one hand I'm excited that she's starting to show interest in my hobby. This could get really fun in a year or two if she gains a bit of cycling fitness and we can do some proper events together as a team. On the other hand my target of sub 4 is now a target of sub 7 and my gat is already hating me..

As a matter of interest, how much training has your wife done?

As a matter of interest, how much training has your wife done?

She's a runner, so her general fitness is good I think..but that doesn't really translate directly to good fitness on the bike.. She still pedals slowly and skill level not great. We did a 78km ride with 800m climbing about a month ago averaging around 17kmh without any training. Since then we basically did two or three 20km rides with 400m climbing, but she still runs around 35km-40km per week. The plan is to get her on the indoor trainer from tomorrow for an hour everyday or every second day until the Tuesday before the race just to get her used to sitting on the saddle.. even that won't be enough to get used to the saddle for a 7 hour ride, but it's better than nothing.

She's a runner, so her general fitness is good I think..but that doesn't really translate directly to good fitness on the bike.. She still pedals slowly and skill level not great. We did a 78km ride with 800m climbing about a month ago averaging around 17kmh without any training. Since then we basically did two or three 20km rides with 400m climbing, but she still runs around 35km-40km per week. The plan is to get her on the indoor trainer from tomorrow for an hour everyday or every second day until the Tuesday before the race just to get her used to sitting on the saddle.. even that won't be enough to get used to the saddle for a 7 hour ride, but it's better than nothing.

She will be absolutely fine - I did the 100 last year and it’s nice route and with her fitness no problem as there is no major climbing, more like rolling hills - I’m doing it again, 160 too much time in the saddle for me

Fri    4 to 11 degrees  60% chance of rain

Sat   2 to 13 degrees  30% chance of rain

Nice camping weather