[Event] Around The Pot 100miler

Petrichor Adventures

Event Name: Around The Pot 100miler
When: 20 July 2019
Where: Swellendam Showgrounds, Western Cape
Category: MTB

WHEN: Saturday 20 July 2019

FORMAT:Solo, Teams of 2, Teams of 3 and Teams of 4

​REGISTRATION FOR ALL 3 DISTANCES WILL BE IN THE AFTERNOON ON FRIDAY 19 JULY 2019 FROM 15:00 TO 21:00 OR ON SATURDAY MORNING BETWEEN 05h00 AND 06h30

ONLINE ENTRIES WILL CLOSE ON WEDNESDAY 17 JULY 2019 AT MIDNIGHT

GOODIEBAGS ONLY FOR THE FIRST 500 ENTRIES

THE RACE BRIEFING WILL BE AT THE START LINE 15min BEFORE THE RACE START.

ALL FINISHERS WILL RECEIVE A RACE MEDAL AND A FINISH LINE HAMBURGER.

PRIZE-GIVING WILL BE AT 15:00 ON SATURDAY​

Tented village will be available at race venue and can also be booked online with entry

Go to Event Page

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Hubbers,

As a pre-race to my much anticipated first K2C this year, I am considering entering the Around The Pot 100 Miler, either the 40 or the 98km route.  I am looking for info from those that have done this race i.e. is it technically challenging etc etc etc.  Any info would be great!

TIA!

We did the 100 miler on gravel bikes last year.

It is absolutely non-technical with fast flowing undulating gravel district roads. Quite a lot of climbing with some steepish gradients at times which can make it challenging.

But honestly it was one of the best events of the year for us ????

I rode a hardtail and have no doubt it was faster for me than a gravel bike - in fact I subsequently sold my gravel bike - to the OP, I did the 60 miler and it’s great practice for the K2C - faster and easier but a good warm up at that distance - still not brave enough for 100 miles myself

The road is non-technical, but never flat, you will however want to build on your core strength. ( A strong core makes it easier to go up a hill while you are laughing at all the jokes being told in the bunch.)         This race has a great vibe!!

Perfect training at the right time before the Karoo2Coast I would say! Relatively new to longer distances this is exactly what I did last year. Entered for the 60miler(100km). Had proper fun! It's rolling hills all the way, no long climbs like the K2C, but also not a lack of climbing. Even if you do it just for the vibe and the breakfast roosterkoek in the 45min neutral zone at the ferry it's well worth it! I ended up doing Around the Pot in 5 hours, and Karoo2Coast in 5 hours 30min a few months later. 

Just remember, it's rolling hills DOWN to the ferry at 48km, and rolling hills UP back to town. The second halve of the race is definitely more climbing..on a stomache full of roosterkoek..on legs that got cold in the 45min neutral zone. Just keep that in mind. I went full-out on that first 48km down to the ferry at an average of almost 25kmh, and then around 70km I really started to struggle because I didn't keep any reserves in the tank. Ended with an average of 20kmh, so the second halve was real slow going for me. 

They had a grader on that road just before the race, so smooth gravel roads all the way(except the last few km)..easier terrain than Karoo2Coast.

I was on the verge of entering for the full 100miler this year, but my wife is trying to get back into cycling again, so we entered as a mixed team for Around the Pot 60miler. She's a runner so the general fitness is there, but the cycling training is not up to speed yet..we'll probably just aim for 7 hours, enjoy the atmosphere and stop at all the waterpoints.

Perfect training at the right time before the Karoo2Coast I would say! Relatively new to longer distances this is exactly what I did last year. Entered for the 60miler(100km). Had proper fun! It's rolling hills all the way, no long climbs like the K2C, but also not a lack of climbing. Even if you do it just for the vibe and the breakfast roosterkoek in the 45min neutral zone at the ferry it's well worth it! I ended up doing Around the Pot in 5 hours, and Karoo2Coast in 5 hours 30min a few months later. 

Just remember, it's rolling hills DOWN to the ferry at 48km, and rolling hills UP back to town. The second halve of the race is definitely more climbing..on a stomache full of roosterkoek..on legs that got cold in the 45min neutral zone. Just keep that in mind. I went full-out on that first 48km down to the ferry at an average of almost 25kmh, and then around 70km I really started to struggle because I didn't keep any reserves in the tank. Ended with an average of 20kmh, so the second halve was real slow going for me. 

They had a grader on that road just before the race, so smooth gravel roads all the way(except the last few km)..easier terrain than Karoo2Coast.

I was on the verge of entering for the full 100miler this year, but my wife is trying to get back into cycling again, so we entered as a mixed team for Around the Pot 60miler. She's a runner so the general fitness is there, but the cycling training is not up to speed yet..we'll probably just aim for 7 hours, enjoy the atmosphere and stop at all the waterpoints.

Thanks for this! Very helpful indeed! :)

• 1 month later...

So fresh off my first 100miler (Amarider) I know the feeling of climbing 2250m (according to my GPS). 

Anyone with the climbing figures for this event's 100miler?