Safety on the roads ... and cyclists behaviour...

ChrisF

Three cyclists were injured, one critically, when a minibus taxi crashed into them on the M4 in Durban on Sunday morning, paramedics said.

Netcare 911 paramedics responded at 7.20am to reports of a crash on the M4 southbound just before the M27 Umdloti off-ramp, Netcare 911 spokesman Shawn Herbst said.

“Reports from the scene indicate that three cyclist were struck down by a minibus taxi. One of the cyclists sustained critical injuries and was treated on [the] scene by an advanced life support paramedic. Two other cyclists sustained moderated injuries.”

Once stabilised, the patients were transported to hospital by ambulance for further treatment. All necessary authorities were on the scene, Herbst said

https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/accidents/2066982/three-cyclists-injured-after-minibus-taxi-crashes-into-them-in-durban/

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Three cyclists were injured, one critically, when a minibus taxi crashed into them on the M4 in Durban on Sunday morning, paramedics said.

Netcare 911 paramedics responded at 7.20am to reports of a crash on the M4 southbound just before the M27 Umdloti off-ramp, Netcare 911 spokesman Shawn Herbst said.

“Reports from the scene indicate that three cyclist were struck down by a minibus taxi. One of the cyclists sustained critical injuries and was treated on [the] scene by an advanced life support paramedic. Two other cyclists sustained moderated injuries.”

Once stabilised, the patients were transported to hospital by ambulance for further treatment. All necessary authorities were on the scene, Herbst said

https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/accidents/2066982/three-cyclists-injured-after-minibus-taxi-crashes-into-them-in-durban/

1 passed away later sadly. This was the group I used to ride with when I rode.

Horrible to hear this sort of news (especially while we sit in our safe offices debating the ideology of road use). 

Credit to the Citizen for using the right language - not once was the term "accident" used. (Neither did they mention the colour of the cyclist's kit, or whether they were wearing helmets etc., as has become the norm).

• 1 month later...

Sjoe! Some posts indicate ANGER!

I get what the OP say and yes I get what most of the others say, but don't you think these are all symptoms? There is a bigger problem out there leading to the anger in the first place. Lets consider a couple of things we know. When a cyclist meet steel, the cyclist will always come of worst. Following the rules of the road is deteriorating daily in South Africa, whether you're in a car, bus or on a bike, more and more drivers choose to make their own rules. There may be many reasons for this deterioration, but it is becoming more and more like an anarchy and every road user feel he/she has the right to justify his/her actions (eg. 9 years old being run over and then blamed for a baby on a bike. see https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/181322-so-my-9-year-old-was-in-a-hit-and-run-on-monday/page-1). 

What I see is that every post here has an opinion. I see some pleading others to be considerate, I see others insisting on their rights, but 19 pages of anger leads to absolute no resolution. Yes, cyclists have a right to be in the road, but due to the potential speed difference it is foolish. Yes, the law is there to protect all parties, but if you're dead or lying crippled in a hospital, what does it matter if you were right? And if you are successful pursuing a legal case and you win, does the sentencing or guilt of the other party make you well?

As South African we live in an angry environment. People get out of bed angry. If we as cyclists get on to the road, we enter a war zone. Just observe other road users when you are in you car for a change. The expressions, beating the steering wheel, the sign language...

I think this is a much bigger problem we care to admit. As cyclists, we're just one step above the pedestrian in vulnerability. Some of us get hurt and we seek sympathy from the Hub, but the bottom line we too are angry. Sometimes its justifying, sometimes not, but we get the sympathy because we are cyclists.

Is there a solution, a silver lining to the dark clouds? I like to believe in people and because of that I would love to say yes, but reality speaks loud and I cannot hear anything positive at the moment. I think there is a general disrespect for life, rules and others and to change that will take years, generations to fix. If I am correct, that does not bode well, but I think the question we have to start asking ourselves if we are part of the problem? Be honest to yourself. If everyone - not just cyclist - starts asking this question and they act positive about it, I am willing to bet things can change. 

• 2 months later...