Safety on the roads ... and cyclists behaviour...

ChrisF

Yeah. That didn't really work. There was no causal link between the "broken windows" policing and the reduction of felony crimes. The end result was that more people hated (and distrusted) the cops, and more people were brought into the criminal justice system, often with negative effects.

"...report — by DOI Commissioner Mark Peters and NYPD Inspector General Philip Eure — takes direct aim at the “broken windows” policy that Bratton famously began pushing in the 1990s. Their report notes the cost of that policy “in police time, in an increase of the number of people brought into the criminal justice system and, at times, in a fraying of the relationship between the police and the communities they serve.”

"For instance, the report found that such crack-downs on small crimes disproportionately happened in precincts with large numbers of black and Hispanic residents, while precincts with large percentages of white residents were much less affected.

And yet, the report notes, when the NYPD decreased its quality-of-life policing from 2010 to 2015, the number of felony crimes kept dropping, suggesting that there wasn’t a causal relationship between the two.

The data showed that felony crime didn’t increase between 2010 and 2015 and in many cases decreased — at the same time that the number of quality-of-life summonses issued declined significantly.

“Broad generalizations about quality-of-life summonses as a panacea are not supported by empirical evidence,” the inspector general’s review said.

From an easy to read summary by the Washington Post

For a more hardcore read, check out this

"There is also no consensus on the existence of a link between disorder and crime, and how to properly measure such a link if it does indeed exist"

There was more than a plausible causal link between the advent of crack cocaine and a massive increase in mortality rates amongst the drug addicted and their supply chain for the drop in crime rates in New York. Freakonomics et al went in to this. Basically it quite quickly killed all the criminals as it was so addictive. Nor criminals no crime...

Back to the issue though - safety is something that starts with you and then moves on to others. The higher the risks to you the more cautious you have to become and over account for others who will do crazy things. I must lok crazy going out down Cedar with back and front flashers blazing but i have also seen the random **** the taxi drivers do (and car drivers) down this stretch of road.

Stay safe out there and if it looks risky it probably is.

Very few people have died from stopping at stop streets and traffic lights that are red...

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The roadworks over the N1 at Bellville has been ongoing for more than 2 years. The bridge hardly has space for two cars next to each other ....

A barricade was set up and a pedestrian and cycling lane (of sorts) was made to allow safe passage over the N1.

NOPE .... 23 December three cyclists sees fit to cycle over the bridge, North bound - UP and over the bridge at about 10km/h .... YES, they were single file. But, there simply is no space !!

Seeing the situation for what it was, I switched on my hazards, and stayed behind them. Should have seen the kamakazi moves of other drivers to get past me !!

These three cyclists were blissfully unaware of the near accidents they caused ...

Sorry to burst your bubble ... but there still is that small percentage of cyclists that makes life difficult for the rest of us.

Fanie, I understand what you are saying but also the mindset of SA motorists that cyclists are just a nuisance needs to change. In the absence of a dedicated cycle lane, a cyclist has as much right to use the surface of a road (car lane) as a motorist does and the obligation is on the motorist to overtake the cyclist when it is safe to do so. Wekk, that's the theory anyway....[emoji849]

It's also the law but it appears no one gives a hoot

It’s not just the legality side of it that, it properly bugs me that we have such shitty attitudes where we can joke about justifying our stupid actions because of other people’s stupid actions. Or joke about cars crashes because of silly headlines.

If you want to try and justify jumping red traffic lights, come up with a better argument than “well cars speed”.

It’s not just the legality side of it that, it properly bugs me that we have such shitty attitudes where we can joke about justifying our stupid actions because of other people’s stupid actions. Or joke about cars crashes because of silly headlines.

If you want to try and justify jumping red traffic lights, come up with a better argument than “well cars speed”.

Just like the 'It's ok to drunk drive because there are rapists and murderers out there!'

Living in Muizenberg and observing the behaviour of the festive cyclists I am entirely flabbagasted that more people haven't died.

The traffic light at the Checkers isn't even a yield sign, the stretch of Main Road from Fish Hoek to The Toad is a free for all with a lot of fingers and mutterings from both cyclists and motorists alike. I stopped at the light at Checkers on the 31st while 2 guys blew straight through it. When I caught them and asked them politely why, I got abused. I told them it is difficult to justify your *** attitude and unlawful decisions when you're dead and rode off. Idiots.....  :whistling:

I suppose it's also Argus training time as well as 'new year new me' promises that have led to the bikes being dusted off in an attempt to burn off the excess food, booze and general bad decisions a lot of people make over the season.

With all of that and the angry tourists from upcountry who are always in a hurry, the atmosphere is electric!

Just like the 'It's ok to drunk drive because there are rapists and murderers out there!'

Living in Muizenberg and observing the behaviour of the festive cyclists I am entirely flabbagasted that more people haven't died.

Us country folk out here in Somerset West are always astounded at how grumpy, rude and indignant the cyclists on that side are (again, a generalisation). On this side we all wave at each other (roadies even wave at MTBers, and MTBers wave back. Even the triathletes will break their aero pose for half a second to give a flick of their fingers in recognition). We all seem to be generally a bit more friendly. We also tend to have the same approach to motorists, and mostly, I think motorists reciprocate.

Riding on that side is complete shock to the system - cyclists give you deathstares, motorists are impatient, and pedestrians operate on random path mode. Very scary indeed!

Us country folk out here in Somerset West are always astounded at how grumpy, rude and indignant the cyclists on that side are (again, a generalisation). On this side we all wave at each other (roadies even wave at MTBers, and MTBers wave back. Even the triathletes will break their aero pose for half a second to give a flick of their fingers in recognition). We all seem to be generally a bit more friendly. We also tend to have the same approach to motorists, and mostly, I think motorists reciprocate.

Riding on that side is complete shock to the system - cyclists give you deathstares, motorists are impatient, and pedestrians operate on random path mode. Very scary indeed!

I just waved at somebody on a black and red Cervelo, didnt wave back, obviously wasn't you.

I just waved at somebody on a black and red Cervelo, didnt wave back, obviously wasn't you.

Why are you texting and riding huh?!

Probably another Gautenger. I'd hoped the roaring South Easter yesterday would have scared all you guys away!

He's rolling a stealth Canyon now. 

You may not even see him if his kit is also blacked out.  :huh:

How did you know? Thought I'd wear my black Amabubessi top for the first time today. With black shorts.

Although the white shoes, socks and helmet still need to be worked on!

Probably another Gautenger. I'd hoped the roaring South Easter yesterday would have scared all you guys away!

hahahaha the mass exodus starts now with school going back on the 9th.

Then there is no excuse for grumpy folk who are always in a hurry!

Don't worry long term forecast shows humping SE 4 CTCT

How did you know? Thought I'd wear my black Amabubessi top for the first time today. With black shorts.

Although the white shoes, socks and helmet still need to be worked on!

Ok, this time it was definitely him, furiously waved at these mysterious white socks and shoes, couldn't see the rest, and nothing. 

Maybe he needs to start wearing white gloves.