Turn back and help

Cois

How many of you will stop or even turn back to help a cyclist in need?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you will stop or even turn back to help a cyclist in need?

• Yes, I will help regardless
    • Yes, I will help if I know him / her
    • No, someone else will help
    • No way man. Time will be lost

I nearly always stop... even going to work in the car' date=' I will check that cyclist on side of road can cope....[/quote']

You know, I've been meaning to do the same. Everytime I see someone, even just a commuter, pushing their bikes becasue of a flat, I wasn to help but I can't because I don't have spares or tools in the car. Maybe just buy a bunch of el-cheapo tupes in all shapes and sizes and hand it out to the person in need. Maybe even just quickly halp them change it. I'm sure you will get help back when you need it most.

I once stopped for the "damsel in distress" and missed a sub 2h45 Carousel time. It would have been my best ever. Not again.

Every competitor must be equipped and knowledgeable to see after themselves. On well organised races there is a broom wagon or roving marshalls who can assist.

They should not rac if they cannot help themselves.

It's a tough call.

If you're racing in licensed groups its hard to give up your race to help someone but on the other hand if it were you standing at the side of the road with a problem, for whatever reason, you'd also like someone to stop for you.

Everyone should be equiped to handle a puncture and they should also be sure that they are able to change a tube themselves without help - hell its for your own good and safety.

stop and help?!?!!? are you guys insane!!! That's what the Warthogs are there for hahahahaha LMAO!!!

I'm with Dr. Zuess.

Racing, only stop if its someone I know, or if it looks serious. (last years Argus I gave my chainbreaker to fellow tandem riders, at the bottom of Suikerbossie...) still managed to catch a few tandems up the climb, and dragged their lazy a$$es to the finish.

Training rides, will always stop and offer assistance.

It all depends at the situation. If I sit in a good bunch I wil definately not stop to help someone. If I already dropped from the bunch and cruising to the finish Confused I will stop as it is a welcome oppertunity to rest. Have stopped at some tail enders at the craddle of human kind on my way home. Two blokes were standing about 3 km's from the end, both in their first race trying to patch the tube. They had all the spares with them. They were so tired firstly they battled to get the tyre back on and I helped them to do that, then went to the car to get the pressure pump,  the one guy tried to pump but could not so had to helped out.

I think these type of guys really need help when stuck on the side of the road as they still getting used to cycling.

Anyway if you race in say A to D and the licenced groups most of the guys there that don't carry spare tubes or pumps do so to get an "advantage" so why give up your race for them.

When you are marshalling it's a no-brainer.  During training rides I will always stop and ask.  During most funrides I'll ask if the person is OK.  If it's a situation of (for example) a cyclist having to replace a tube in a dodgy area I'll sometimes stop and chat while he/she fixes the problem. 

When you are racing in a licenced group, don't bother stopping, unless there has been a bad accident and you can assist.  Otherwise the sweep vehicle/marshals will adress the problem. 

But heck, if you are doing a funride, who cares if your time is a few minutes longer?  I believe the wheel always turns...do unto others as you would have others do unto you.....Thumbs%20Up

now you making me feel this big DR (c pic).........and no, that's not a Warthog shirt hiehiehie, but really, when I'm racing I don't stop, except if you look like you broke somehting and there is no1 else in sight and I'm not talking about your bike. On social/group rides, sure I'll stop, then I got all the time in the world to help out a fellow cyclist, but come race day you better be ready for anything!

20061024_031842_how_big_i_am.jpg

Supporting the vets i have wheels, toolkits and other items in the team car.

At the shova Andre T was in the chasing bunch for 3rd postition in the 35 - 39 cat and 10km from the end his chain brokeAngry, was able to help however we lost and he was able to finnish

Will assist if possible especially in the licence cats

first question is - is she cute or not????Evil%20Smile just kidding. Helped a lady at D2D , saw her fixing a flat being helped by another rider, and after a while she came past me. And 500m further she stopped again, had a flat again, but at least it was 2k from the finish. She didn't have a pump, so I lent her mine. I'd say if there's little to lose, why not stop. If youre having a good race, don't.