commuting with a full face helmet

Sampaj

I did a birthday ride a couple of years ago, ended up planting my face at 40km/h. If I was wearing a full face, it would have saved me 2 hours of surgery, and an overnight stay in hospital...

It would have probably reduced the severeness of my concussion.

More worried about overheating and blowing my radiator if I had to ride with a Full faced helmet in the Gauteng summer...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how long till the mtb community "insist" on light weight and well ventilated FF helmets .... and manufacturers follow on.

it does look like many FF lids are getting better at this.

I did a birthday ride a couple of years ago, ended up planting my face at 40km/h. If I was wearing a full face, it would have saved me 2 hours of surgery, and an overnight stay in hospital...

More worried about overheating and blowing my radiator if I had to ride with a Full faced helmet in the Gauteng summer...

Ja.....heat stroke is a also a serious condition.

Ever done a XCO or XCM with a normal helmet and got hot.... now imagine with a full face.

Life is dangerous, stuff happens and we just can’t protect ourselves 100% of the time.

#sitenrus

Edit: Did not read your post properly ????

Edited by SwissVan

I spotted a commuter in Greenstone last week on what looked like an e- trail bike with a full face helmet

Cars appeared to give him lots of space

I spotted a commuter in Greenstone last week on what looked like an e- trail bike with a full face helmet

Cars appeared to give him lots of space

Back from Witbank I see.

I saw a family cycling in the spruit this weekend. The little kiddos were all on their various size BMX's and wearing full face helmets. Apart from looking very cool, I thought this was a really good idea for kids. I've never seen it before but I'm wondering if this will become a thing?

Which part? South Africans taking safety seriously or South African families enjoying bike rides? There's only enough thoughts and prayers for 1 :ph34r:

I saw a guy on the spruit with handguards on his bike, thought with maybe a set of cycra pro bends on my bicycle I could ruin as many car rear view mirrors as I used to do as a student on a motorbike...

I saw a guy on the spruit with handguards on his bike, thought with maybe a set of cycra pro bends on my bicycle I could ruin as many car rear view mirrors as I used to do as a student on a motorbike...

side mirrors?

I've broken my jaw in multiple places and shattered a bunch of teeth from a 10kph OTB that set me back about R50k in hospital and dentist bills with a 2 year painful recovery period. It doesn't take much speed/force at all, though I'm very tall, riding an XL, so I have a fairly long way down.

The reason I still don't often wear a FF is mainly due to heat, and the constant up/down nature of JHB trails. The added weight is also really fatiguing.

I'm still surprised that the vast majority still wear absolutely no protection whatsoever on trails that can be pretty rocky and fast, especially the fully lycra clad boys and girls. I've had people laugh at me for wearing knee/elbow pads, though the reason I was wearing them was quickly borne out when I ate dirt 10 minutes later.

The stigma against wearing protection on a bicycle needs to die. Practically every second mtb vid from other parts of the world has people hitting trails wearing FF.

• 4 weeks later...

I once completed an IronMan wearing a full-face during the TT. Don't let the haters hold you back.

FULLFACE-1000x0-c-default.jpg

Remember to post some lekker selfies on the Commuter thread. :thumbup:

Is there a story behind this?

Most aero helmet you had?

180km , jislaaikit your neck must be strong

• 2 years later...

Reboot of thread. Just got peppersprayed (wind took most away) and almost pulled off my bike by some 4 *#@&*# on my commute home. Luckily got away.

I feel now after hearing about friends getting planked/bricked off their bikes too, there may very well be a time and a place for full face visored commuter helmets. Think "Kask lifestyle" with a chinny and more vent holes.

Edited by V18