For the aviation fans

Lotus

51 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Or he will meet his maker sometime soon

I saw a clip this morning about him apparently swapping out the engine on that plane as it still had a Lycoming engine, but he crashed it with a Continental engine... Maybe he installed a zero hours engine to make some money from the Lycoming?

the plot thickens. Did he try to commit insurance fraud now as well?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been away from the forum for a while, no flying with some added covid hassles but am off back to work in Kuwait this weekend…….looking forward to it with a trip Steteside planned early Feb.

in the meantime FB reminded me of a trip to A Carunña in north west Spain 6 years ago today. Was the Classic Global Express. I won’t forget that weather!F1E7CC37-0971-4151-8EE9-7378AF2157A5.jpeg.11ce8d1c429756779010a0b127b2d50d.jpeg0BDAB110-1ABB-478C-A1C6-9CF2D219E788.jpeg.d5bb17180d493cfb6bf023d8c4d50cd5.jpeg1E45C739-BE4D-4292-A31E-B9B6F1E78628.jpeg.cc943c787c5d171bda416fe40bcc06a3.jpeg

Edited by Spokey
Finger trouble

• 2 weeks later...

So BA had a 777 door get ripped off of the fuselage in Cape Town last week after the plane was being moved to a parking stand away from the gate.

18 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

So BA had a 777 door get ripped off of the fuselage in Cape Town last week after the plane was being moved to a parking stand away from the gate.

How can this happen? Who is responsible? Air crew? Ground crew? BA? Airports Company? 

6 hours ago, DJR said:

How can this happen? Who is responsible? Air crew? Ground crew? BA? Airports Company? 

That would be airports company.  No air crew involved here anymore.  So whoever pushed back the aircraft with the tractor did so when the bridge was not moved away.

On 2/5/2022 at 11:50 AM, Bateleur1 said:

That would be airports company.  No air crew involved here anymore.  So whoever pushed back the aircraft with the tractor did so when the bridge was not moved away.

On 2/4/2022 at 11:10 AM, Robbie Stewart said:

On 2/5/2022 at 11:50 AM, Bateleur1 said:

Mind boggling considering that the tug they push back with is connected to the nose gear at the front of the plane.... a few meters from the air bridge / cabin door. I'm guessing someone did not move the air bridge far back enough and the open door got hooked up on it as the plane was pushed back

Maybe LWB will have a better idea as he should be familar with these kind of "big aeroplane" formalities 😁

On 2/5/2022 at 6:45 AM, DJR said:

On 2/5/2022 at 12:50 PM, Bateleur1 said:

4 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Mind boggling considering that the tug they push back with is connected to the nose gear at the front of the plane.... a few meters from the air bridge / cabin door. I'm guessing someone did not move the air bridge far back enough and the open door got hooked up on it as the plane was pushed back

Maybe LWB will have a better idea as he should be familar with these kind of "big aeroplane" formalities 😁

Whoever is at fault I'd hazard a guess that the tug driver is no longer pushing planes.

18 hours ago, SwissVan said:

I'm still wondering how this happened. If the correct procedure was followed then there are a few guys to blame. 

When moving an aircraft for a re park which is what I believe this was, you need an engineer in the cockpit to release/set brakes, check all doors are closed, ensure hydraulic pressure is good etc etc. Then on big aircraft like this you need another engineer that sits on/in the tug that has a headset connected and he is able to talk to the guy in the cockpit. The reason you need this guy on bigger planes and not smaller ones is you can't see the tug from the cockpit on the bigger planes and if the tow at breaks the plane needs to be stopped asap. Then you obviously need the tug driver. 

The guy in the cockpit should only release the brakes once he knows all doors are closed and the tug is connected. 

The guy on the headset should only allow the tug driver to move once he sees the air bridge is clear and he has been told the brakes have been released. 

And naturally the the driver should only push the aircraft if he sees its clear and it's not like the bridge is small or far away. 

Id love to see a final report...... 

9 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I'm still wondering how this happened. If the correct procedure was followed then there are a few guys to blame. 

When moving an aircraft for a re park which is what I believe this was, you need an engineer in the cockpit to release/set brakes, check all doors are closed, ensure hydraulic pressure is good etc etc. Then on big aircraft like this you need another engineer that sits on/in the tug that has a headset connected and he is able to talk to the guy in the cockpit. The reason you need this guy on bigger planes and not smaller ones is you can't see the tug from the cockpit on the bigger planes and if the tow at breaks the plane needs to be stopped asap. Then you obviously need the tug driver. 

The guy in the cockpit should only release the brakes once he knows all doors are closed and the tug is connected. 

The guy on the headset should only allow the tug driver to move once he sees the air bridge is clear and he has been told the brakes have been released. 

And naturally the the driver should only push the aircraft if he sees its clear and it's not like the bridge is small or far away. 

Id love to see a final report...... 

I think the BA insurers as well.

Flew from Kuwait to the island of Anguilla last night. 14.5 flight hours…….buggar this jet goes a long way, she really is a magnificent machine….though not without fault, as in any relationship there are issues ha ha! Pics are through the HUD, brightness enhanced for the pic, winds aloft and the panel in the dark.06B1A0E6-1808-45B2-A522-CEFFB5789B3F.jpeg.75110d87fe25df831dbd84966824e5c7.jpeg27934A41-B5AC-4A8B-9762-7BEB8A172FF1.jpeg.14afb47fd6a5bb6159379b1443c966b7.jpeg66F32BC8-EE5A-4D9A-8E9B-442B9EAE8E17.jpeg.f9f6da211813c49a1613b6955e9c74cb.jpeg

Edited by Spokey
Spelling

Really a magnificent aircraft Spokey.  Do you have a ADS-B transponder on the Aircraft?  Is it compulsionary to have one?

Yes we have ADS B out. However we have blocked our movements from non regulated tracking like Flight Radar. Yes, it will be mandatory in in time to come, however I do not know when right now………I would need to  look that up!

Edited by Spokey
Spelling,,,,,finger trouble

4 hours ago, Bateleur1 said:

Really a magnificent aircraft Spokey.  Do you have a ADS-B transponder on the Aircraft?  Is it compulsionary to have one?

Ha good question, how long is a ball of string

Many countries and many different requirements, some countries are delaying it. For example the USA mandated it from Jan 2020 and RSA it was delayed until some time this year. 

For the big heavies its not a major issue, its the smaller aircraft owners and operators who are trying to avoid the costs of upgrading

ADS-B Update 2021 ADS-B UPDATE 2021 – WHERE ARE WE NOW (universalweather.com)