For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, RoddieJ said:

Thanks @Spokeyfor an entertaining read ????????

Pleasure man, I would love to comment more on some of my trips but only as an encouragement to peeps who are in early stages of flying or those trying to build there careers in this difficult time. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be employed at my age in the corporate field however I am 9 years with my Boss and they clearly value loyalty having released an FO this time last year who was low time in the company. I am  around 15 years older than my colleagues so am very grateful. 

Edited by Spokey
Spelling

On 11/14/2021 at 1:28 AM, Spokey said:

Pleasure man, I would love to comment more on some of my trips but only as an encouragement to peeps who are in early stages of flying or those trying to build there careers in this difficult time. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be employed at my age in the corporate field however I am 9 years with my Boss and they clearly value loyalty having released an FO this time last year who was low time in the company. I am  around 15 years older than my colleagues so am very grateful. 

Thanks for the pictures and trip description, definitely imo the pinnacle of civilian piloting!

Are you allowed to say who your employer / company is?

On 11/11/2021 at 6:11 AM, Spokey said:

60226E3D-3361-41BF-B4AB-904FC5E96238.jpeg.798f4846eac0289d917eab60dc952997.jpeg99C7BC2A-A58A-43DE-9FFF-B6D9C1F18EDD.jpeg.12db4ee7619ad79c07de1df238b0432f.jpegD05FDD94-4636-43E7-B56B-D67964AF6156.jpeg.87e4dc8054daeac6aa4e1add745ce1a0.jpeg0C5CC23A-C158-415C-9208-98947F4CE03D.jpeg.1723257a1b21fb7d1b635e20baaa0adc.jpegWas very tight parking In Teterboro. The tug driver expertly positioned us after shut down.

Looks like SAAT during lockdown. Couldn't swing a cat there were so many planes parked. Only other time I have seen SAAT so full was the night of the 2010 soccer world cup final. And within 3 hours of the game ending all the planes left. We have never worked so hard in such a short time. 

On 11/15/2021 at 7:41 PM, SwissVan said:

Thanks for the pictures and trip description, definitely imo the pinnacle of civilian piloting!

I've also been curious..

On 11/15/2021 at 9:41 PM, SwissVan said:

Hi Swiss, sorry for the late reply, I have just returned to the sandpit from a swift jaunt around Euroland. Sadly, nope, I am not at liberty to disclose who the owner is. Suffice to say that I have been 11 years with the ExecuJet Group in SA and ME. Sorry if I sound like a **** but you understand how it works.

Edited by Spokey
Content.

13 hours ago, Spokey said:

Hi Swiss, sorry for the late reply, I have just returned to the sandpit from a swift jaunt around Euroland. Sadly, nope, I am not at liberty to disclose who the owner is. Suffice to say that I have been 11 years with the ExecuJet Group in SA and ME. Sorry if I sound like a **** but you understand how it works.

No worries, I’ll just let my imagination fill in the blank spaces ????

So I was pottering around the house late evening around 23H00 over the weekend and heard a big plane go overhead from the North West heading to Cape Town Intl. Curious as to who would be approaching so late and from such a strange angle (I live close to Blouberg so usually only European heavies approach from the north of me, but not at that time of the day) I checked on Flightradar24. I was surprised to see it was a A340 on approach from Antarctica. 

Seems like Antarctic flights from Cape Town is a thing now.

• 2 weeks later...

Flew for the first time in over 4 years on the weekend.  Flew Air France from Munich to Paris and then from Paris to Joburg.  Was the last Air France flight for a couple of days as flights got cancelled.  Suppose it was my lucky day.  The first time I flew on the 777.  Personally I thought it was a noisier aircraft that the airbus.  Other than that it was a good flight.  Now to see if I can fly back to Europe on the 11th with KLM. 

6 hours ago, Bateleur1 said:

Flew for the first time in over 4 years on the weekend.  Flew Air France from Munich to Paris and then from Paris to Joburg.  Was the last Air France flight for a couple of days as flights got cancelled.  Suppose it was my lucky day.  The first time I flew on the 777.  Personally I thought it was a noisier aircraft that the airbus.  Other than that it was a good flight.  Now to see if I can fly back to Europe on the 11th with KLM. 

Well with those two massive engines one could hardly think it was quiet. I flew on the 777 to Dubai and back a few years ago. I actually enjoyed it. It was much better than A330 / A340 by a country mile. I can't speak for the A350 and A380 though.

I just flew on an A350-900 from Munich to Denver and it was very nice.  We flew pretty much in a straight line for just over 10 hrs passing near Iceland,  over Greenland and down over Canada.

24 minutes ago, Spokey said:

Easy on rate, not so the radius! Man, that guy is having fun!

The comments had me chuckling. I mean, who wouldn't given the same chance ?