Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

I see in most cases the only numbers reducing are number of people still on track and even bothering to fill in the sheet.....it is sad but unfortunately a reality...once you pass that 100 kg mark the slide gets steeper and more difficult to return.

Just a word of warning...as you get heavier so your health takes a dive...you become less energetic...it becomes more difficult to motivate yourself to get out and do stuff in general ...you start snoring...etc etc. 

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting frustrated with the numbers not going down as fast as it used to when I was 125kg. I've already put in 310km and 5000m climbing the first half of this month, but the scale is stuck on 92.1kg. I guess I can't expect anything else because after Saturdays Gravel Travel 50km MTB race we stayed there for pizza and MULTIPLE beers afterwards. I really have to get out of that 'reward yourself after a hard effort' mentality. First time having pizza in maybe more than a year though, but I feel so guilty about it.. Usually I just binge on braaivleis after a long ride but that also has to stop.

I see in most cases the only numbers reducing are number of people still on track and even bothering to fill in the sheet.....it is sad but unfortunately a reality...once you pass that 100 kg mark the slide gets steeper and more difficult to return.

Just a word of warning...as you get heavier so your health takes a dive...you become less energetic...it becomes more difficult to motivate yourself to get out and do stuff in general ...you start snoring...etc etc.

Ha - I am one who had a negative move there for a month lad. On it like a car bonnet this month. Expect to have a very satisfying number to gooi on the sheet come end of may.

I'm getting frustrated with the numbers not going down as fast as it used to when I was 125kg. I've already put in 310km and 5000m climbing the first half of this month, but the scale is stuck on 92.1kg. I guess I can't expect anything else because after Saturdays Gravel Travel 50km MTB race we stayed there for pizza and MULTIPLE beers afterwards. I really have to get out of that 'reward yourself after a hard effort' mentality. First time having pizza in maybe more than a year though, but I feel so guilty about it.. Usually I just binge on braaivleis after a long ride but that also has to stop.

Can't exercise yourself out of a bad diet. 

Here’s an interesting (to me anyway) observation. When I was 112 + kilos in December, my sleeping heart rate was in the low 70’s. As I have lost weight, it has dropped down to mid to high 50’s. I have been getting fitter, but not significantly, so have to conclude that less weight is making my heart work less hard when I am sleeping.

I do notice that, if I have a couple of drinks on an evening (at a braai or something), my sleeping heart rate shoots right up that night, normally to the mid 70’s as well.

Not sure what to conclude overall, but presumably a lower heart rate when sleeping is a good thing

Yuup, 80% diet ,20% exercise.

If you want to go striclty fat loss, you can even do that on 100% diet (without having to resort to calorie counting or BS like keto), but ja, exercise plays a role and can help to speed up the process. 

When I was cycling I also fell into the trap of overeating: you go out riding with a bunch of calories in your bottle, throw in a gel/bar and then gorge when you get home, but you actually only burnt around half of the calories that you end up consuming. Not a recipe for success. 

Here’s an interesting (to me anyway) observation. When I was 112 + kilos in December, my sleeping heart rate was in the low 70’s. As I have lost weight, it has dropped down to mid to high 50’s. I have been getting fitter, but not significantly, so have to conclude that less weight is making my heart work less hard when I am sleeping.

I do notice that, if I have a couple of drinks on an evening (at a braai or something), my sleeping heart rate shoots right up that night, normally to the mid 70’s as well.

Not sure what to conclude overall, but presumably a lower heart rate when sleeping is a good thing

I live with my Garmin on my wrist and love to obsess about my RHR. What I've noticed is that it's quite fickle and easy to upset. 

I'm usually in bed around 21h00 during the week. If I stay up later than that, my RHR slowly creeps up by about 1-2 bpm for every hour after bedtime. Alcohol also pushes it up big time. I was on a bender a few months back and clocked about 170bpm right before blacking out. 

Sugar is also a big one. If I have some sweet stuff (jelly sweets/ice crea), my RHR also starts to climb by about 5-7bpm after about an hour of eating and stays elevated for about half a day. 

Edit: Stress raises it big time. And running can bring it back down again. 

Edited by Odinson

Yeah, I have noticed a massive drop in heart rate as I dropped the weight and gained a quite a bit of fitness. Was also in the low 70s resting heart rate at 125kg. As I'm sitting here now I'm at resting heart rate 41 bpm. At night time it's even lower as you can see.. I have actually started to worry about it going so low!

post-119556-0-99551800-1557907006_thumb.jpg

Alcohol also pushes it up big time. I was on a bender a few months back and clocked about 170bpm right before blacking out. 

Hahaha that's actually amazing! That's it, from now on I'm getting up and drinking at 05:00 in the morning instead of cardio to get the HR up!

Yeah, I have noticed a massive drop in heart rate as I dropped the weight and gained a quite a bit of fitness. Was also in the low 70s resting heart rate at 125kg. As I'm sitting here now I'm at resting heart rate 41 bpm. At night time it's even lower as you can see.. I have actually started to worry about it going so low!

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20190515-095022_Gallery.jpg

Good grief - that is an incredible number. Well done. At least I think we’ll done. Maybe it needs to be checked out by a doc. Looks good to my idiot brain anyway. Edited by BigDL

I live with my Garmin on my wrist and love to obsess about my RHR. What I've noticed is that it's quite fickle and easy to upset. 

I'm usually in bed around 21h00 during the week. If I stay up later than that, my RHR slowly creeps up by about 1-2 bpm for every hour after bedtime. Alcohol also pushes it up big time. I was on a bender a few months back and clocked about 170bpm right before blacking out

Sugar is also a big one. If I have some sweet stuff (jelly sweets/ice crea), my RHR also starts to climb by about 5-7bpm after about an hour of eating and stays elevated for about half a day. 

Edit: Stress raises it big time. And running can bring it back down again. 

Dancing on tables will do that to you

Good grief - that is an incredible number. Well done. At least I think we’ll done. Maybe it needs to be checked out by a doc. Looks good to my idiot brain anyway.

Yeah I thought the same..then I started reading up on it and found stuff like Bradycardia which scares me a bit, and other places where they say it is normal for your HR to go that low when you are getting fitter. What worries me a bit is that when I've been sitting for a while and my HR is low, and quickly stand up, I almost get a blackout where my vision goes black for a couple of seconds

Yeah I thought the same..then I started reading up on it and found stuff like Bradycardia which scares me a bit, and other places where they say it is normal for your HR to go that low when you are getting fitter. What worries me a bit is that when I've been sitting for a while and my HR is low, and quickly stand up, I almost get a blackout where my vision goes black for a couple of seconds

Blood pressure perhaps low too?