Low tire pressures - Road

Furbz

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

75 kgs, 25mm GP4000ii tires

5.0 front - 6.0 rear (not sure how accurate my pumps pressure gauge is)

i'm now pumping my tires to 5 bar and allowing them to drop to 4 or 4.5 bar before pumping up again.

running 25mm GP4000ii tires.

my rims have an extremely wide internal width of 20.7mm so loads of air is able to get into the tube.

i weigh 69kgs so i feel i can somewhat get away with it.

yes i know the pothole risks.

the comfort level is unreal. i mean really truly unreal compared to 6 or 7 bar.

the only time i'll increase my pressures is for racing. and thats more because in a peloton its not always easy to miss road debris due to the tight riding.

anyone else doing the same?

i'm not sure i will go any lower in pressure, but would be interested to hear what others are doing.

I did the same for an Audax once. Ran 6 bar on Conti GP4000S IIs 25mm fore and aft. Suffered a sidewall tear, sent tyre in for warranty claim. End result was my claim was turned down because of "under inflation". 

Weight - 74kg.

My recommendation - don't do it. 

75 kgs, 25mm GP4000ii tires

5.0 front - 6.0 rear (not sure how accurate my pumps pressure gauge is)

Several articles I've read state most floor pumps aren't as accurate as we might think. I'm looking at a more accurate pump, what can people recommend? Currently have a Ryder floor pump with needle gauge. 

I did the same for an Audax once. Ran 6 bar on Conti GP4000S IIs 25mm fore and aft. Suffered a sidewall tear, sent tyre in for warranty claim. End result was my claim was turned down because of "under inflation". 

Weight - 74kg.

My recommendation - don't do it. 

never even crossed my mind that.

i see the minimum is 95psi - +- 6.5 bar.

hmmm

Also use Conti's like OP.

When I train, I ride 6 bar front and back, weight is 95kgs.

Haven't had any problems with the tires.

During races, pump them to 8 bar.

Several articles I've read state most floor pumps aren't as accurate as we might think. I'm looking at a more accurate pump, what can people recommend? Currently have a Ryder floor pump with needle gauge. 

Get a digital gauge to check.  My track pump was off by 1 bar i.e atmospheric correction, so I just inflate 1 bar more.  I think the calibration goes off most pump gauges.

on my roadbike 9 bar (25c, vittoria zaffiro), the harder the better, especially when it comes to glass and potholes

commuter 6 bar (28c, WTB thickslick) only reason it's softer is I commute via a gravel section and the tire's I fitted is a bit more puncture resistant  

Wow, that must be really uncomfortable! 25c tyres at 9 bar!

I run my 25c conti tyres at 6,2 front and 6,4 rear with a weight of 67kg.

89kgs 

Running Stock 23c P-R3 tyres at 7 bar, only pump when they feel soft or sluggish 

I hate riding under inflated tyres,  feels like im leaving myself open to punctures and rim dings. 

These suggestions of lower pressures appears to be a natural progression to tubeless for those not yet there.? :)

93kgs

Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless 25s (they sit at about 27mm on the American Classic Victory 30s)

5bar front and back

Have ridden 5 races on them, including Amashova and 947 last year, including all the training in between, no issues whatsoever, even though I have hit some inevitable potholes during events.

My race results improved significantly after making the switch, so wouldn't say it has a negative effect on performance on these specific tyres.

100 kg .Gatorskins 25mm ,running 6 Bar on both without any problems for two years now .previously i pumped them to 5 bar ,but had a couple of pinch flats 

Archived