USA road cycling experiencing bad times

Chris NewbyFraser

I read on Velonews.com(4 January) that road cycling sponsorship is possibly going through its worst year ever. Multiple domestic team sponsorships have been withdrawn. Some riders even switched focus to gravel and mtb as a means to stay alive.

I read on Velonews.com(4 January) that road cycling sponsorship is possibly going through its worst year ever. Multiple domestic team sponsorships have been withdrawn. Some riders even switched focus to gravel and mtb as a means to stay alive.

there's a rumor that Sagan is considering going back to MTB come 2020. Maybe there's fire underneath that sponsorship smoke.

there's a rumor that Sagan is considering going back to MTB come 2020. Maybe there's fire underneath that sponsorship smoke.

Possibly but Sagan said he wants to get out because the Peloton is not a happy place to be anymore. It might not be the real reason though. 

Possibly but Sagan said he wants to get out because the Peloton is not a happy place to be anymore. It might not be the real reason though.

I tend to agree. In MTB the peloton cannot “mark him” like they do in WT or the Ckassics. it’s become very negative racing for him unfortunately.

I tend to agree. In MTB the peloton cannot “mark him” like they do in WT or the Ckassics. it’s become very negative racing for him unfortunately.

Fair comment but not entirely true anymore. It was some time back, now there riders who race to win. Sagan in turns find this disrespectful cause they don’t jump when told to, they attack to try win.

Is there really more money in MTB ?

I cannot think that's true 

I don't think it's about 'more money'?

Sagan is Sagan.. He is, himself, a very successful 'business'.

IF the rumours are true, it would probably be more because he wants to get away from the toxicity that exists within the bunch.

The pro cycling world can't be a nice place with all the cynicism, the lies and the fact that he is marked by the entire peloton.

It would be a valid move away regardless of what career it was. If i worked in a really crap company that was constantly under scrutiny AND I was the man most in the spotlight I would also want to step away for a bit. 

This is all conjecture and based on IF the rumours are true..... I mean, currently there are rumours that the FBI is investigating whether Trump is actually a Russian Spy and a threat to national security.... Rumours eh? 

Fair comment but not entirely true anymore. It was some time back, now there riders who race to win. Sagan in turns find this disrespectful cause they don’t jump when told to, they attack to try win.

If you say it’s changed in the peloton, I will take that it has ????????

I do think that the point that he can just let his legs do the talking in MTB and not have to deal with road race complexities might make the racing more straight forward for him.

Hell, maybe he just wants a change of scenery... he is human after all, if only barely.

Interesting article as I’ve seen many of the smaller teams here in Europe fall away.Some sponsors seem to be moving towards sponsorship for ladies teams.

Shop teams are also down to a handful of riders at the races.

Pure conjecture but I reckon it has more to do with the Olympics. Do Olympic courses ever suit sprinters? He probably wants one of those prestigious medals. He's won everything else! 

Sagan has only won a National TT never a TT world event  which is the race of truth as there are no team tactics involved. 

If you say it’s changed in the peloton, I will take that it has

I do think that the point that he can just let his legs do the talking in MTB and not have to deal with road race complexities might make the racing more straight forward for him.

Hell, maybe he just wants a change of scenery... he is human after all, if only barely.

I agree with this and I really think he is more on the change of scenery - new things - new challenges.

I agree with this and I really think he is more on the change of scenery - new things - new challenges.

Motivation...and that travelling..urgh would get to me too

Yeah he has won a lot.. not everything yet..that elusive Milan-San Remo..comes to mind.

I think if he has ticked that off when his Bora contact runs out we will see him on the mtb scene be if xco or marathon ..

And I would be just fine with that.

Olympics are a big draw card - remember he rocked up at the 2016 Olympics for xc just because.

Yep and it drew quite a lot of attention to that race.

Olympics are a big draw card - remember he rocked up at the 2016 Olympics for xc just because.

This was THE best. 

Archived