Pretoria :Groenkloof- Safe to ride

4x4biker

Is it safe to ride in Groenkloof  Nature Reserve between the Road to Kloofsig M 18 and the R 21 

post-88209-0-29472400-1547722276_thumb.jpg

Edited by 4x4biker

It used to be a danger area for all kinds of activities (3-5 years back) but quite recently I've been there with my MTB and was absolutely stunned by the amount of people there. Hikers and runners dominated but there were a few cyclists as well.

There hasn't been any reports of attacks or robberies in a while BUT it still is South Africa so don't go riding alone.

Anyways, awesome trails! Just be aware of what's happening around you and stay safe.

Was there on Saturday and had no issues at all. Trails were a bit rough after the rain and some branches / trees need trimming, but they provide a good work out. I did ride alone which is probably not recommended?

• 4 months later...

Saw some posts on Facebook indicating people are riding here again

Has anyone had any issues lately in the reserve or are we back to the good old Groenies days?

Edited by Markellis

Saw some posts on Facebook indicating people are riding here again

Has anyone had any issues lately in the reserve or are we back to the good old Groenies days?

Nothing recently . Groups are using it again .I have ridden there on my own .

• 1 month later...

Sad news

At around 15:00 today at around the halfway point 2 perps jumped at 2 youngsters.

The boys shouted. One perps ran away one trued to catch the bpys armed with a knife

Fortunately it was junior youngsters. They outsprinted the perp.

1km down the road they saw a Saps vehicle and reported it to him. He sped down the road.

They reported it to the guard at the top gate and left.

Very rattled. These are youbg boys 17 years old. Maybe they did not reacted perfwctly but they got really scared.

Keep an eye out still not 100% at Klapperkop

Sad news

At around 15:00 today at around the halfway point 2 perps jumped at 2 youngsters.

The boys shouted. One perps ran away one trued to catch the bpys armed with a knife

Fortunately it was junior youngsters. They outsprinted the perp.

1km down the road they saw a Saps vehicle and reported it to him. He sped down the road.

They reported it to the guard at the top gate and left.

Very rattled. These are youbg boys 17 years old. Maybe they did not reacted perfwctly but they got really scared.

Keep an eye out still not 100% at Klapperkop

Glad you got out safely, that is all that matters!

Sorry for poor typing/spelling

Please contact me for proper info if needed

082triplethree4801

Sorry for poor typing/spelling

Please contact me for proper info if needed

082triplethree4801

Hi Zeffer,

Was this at Klapperkop or Groenkloof? Happy that they weren't harmed.

Sorry only saw now this is a Groenkloof thread. My apology.

I re-posted on the Klapperkop Safety update thread.

There is a new gang operating the area and while Groenkloof is safe the hotspot is outside the reserve on the road between the two gates. Will update on Klapperkop in that thread.