Croatia ...sail and bike cruise

Uni

Anyone have first hand experience of the bike/ sail cruises? I rather opt for that than have to worry about accommodation, storing and moving bike around etc.

Tx

Sounds interesting subscribed to this. Wonder what countries would be good to cruise and go ride

Have a family member that went, it looked like an awesome trip, they cycled a lot but not that hard, certainly not a tough holiday but it looked like fun. Think a lot depends on the average strength of the party.

I went on one last year, was great just went in August in the middle of a heatwave and it was ridiculously hot. We went with https://www.sail-croatia.com Will DM you some details when I get a gap. Awesome way of seeing the country.

Edited by marcfr

I went on one last year, was great just went in August in the middle of a heatwave and it was ridiculously hot. We went with https://www.sail-croatia.com Will DM you some details when I get a gap. Awesome way of seeing the country.

Also did a trip with them, in Aug'16. Was amazing. Highly recommended. Not sure how you would pair it with cycling as you wouldn't be able to take a bike on board or have enough time to actually go "cycling". We rented bikes in Split though and rode around town and around the Park Suma Marjan which was great - but I wouldn't expect to do a big ride on each island.

I think a better option would be to spend a week cycling, then a week sailing.

Also did a trip with them, in Aug'16. Was amazing. Highly recommended. Not sure how you would pair it with cycling as you wouldn't be able to take a bike on board or have enough time to actually go "cycling". We rented bikes in Split though and rode around town and around the Park Suma Marjan which was great - but I wouldn't expect to do a big ride on each island.

I think a better option would be to spend a week cycling, then a week sailing.

We did the cycle and sail tour. They supply bikes that are on board, so in the morning after breakfast you go for a cycle on the island you at (3-4 hour, usually includes a swim stop along the way) and return for lunch, you then spend the afternoon touring the island, swimming or sailing to the next island. You usually spend the evening out on the island and sleep on the boat ready for the next days cycle.

I have been on one and my outlaws goes year after year for the last decade.

Awesome experience!!

Get a local skipper - They are amazing! They will sort you out with docking space and fees. They know the locals and bargain on your behalf. They phone ahead and arrange.

I went in June, just at the start of summer. About 24 degrees all day and night.

Be aware of hidden fees like, diesel (although you sail, you need diesel), Internet, docking fees etc. You also need to provide skipper with meals. They slot in with your eating plans.

I am sure you will be able to cycle, but as previous replies, not much space on the boat for bikes. The roads are quite narrow seeing that it is islands.

Hope it helps.

Did a bikepacking trip through Italy quite a while back followed by a few days in Croatia with a local skipper and then some more touring. We definitely did more riding in Italy as its just more suited for it.

Definitely on my bucket list. Croatia is one of those countries that has endless beauty along its shores, and I've been wanting to do this for ages (since 2003, when I first heard about Sail Croatia)

I am sure you will be able to cycle, but as previous replies, not much space on the boat for bikes. The roads are quite narrow seeing that it is islands.

Hope it helps.

Nope, I'm definitely only interested in the specific sail / bike packages, hop on, hop off , ride bike, they take care of the schlepp between islands 

Sounds like fun. We are going there in the summer...but no cycling... Just lazing by the beach and pool and doing day sailing trips.... And a bit of game of thrones nerding

Sounds like fun. We are going there in the summer...but no cycling... Just lazing by the beach and pool and doing day sailing trips.... And a bit of game of thrones nerding

I'm not a sun worshiper and I figured if I end up travelling solo, this is something I'd enjoy doing .

You worried about travelling post brexit ? (tangenting here - it's my thread so ) 

Croatia is a beautiful country and really worth the visit.

Would i want to go cycle there......NO.

The roads are very narrow with loads of trucks and buses and people don't tend to keep to the speed limit.

Hotels and guest houses aren't really accommodating for bikes unless there is a race on in the area.

Mountain biking is pretty big there but that's to be expected with all the hills and open area.

I'm not a sun worshiper and I figured if I end up travelling solo, this is something I'd enjoy doing .

You worried about travelling post brexit ? (tangenting here - it's my thread so )

Neither am I.. But with 3 teenagers we need to do some sun worshipping. I'll entertain myself with snorkling, checking out kings landing and maybe a day trip to Bosnia.

I'm an EU passport holder... So not really