Giant Trance 29 vs Scott Spark

thebob

Almost all reviews of the Trance 29 are very positive. This is the only review that I found that isn't overwhelmingly positive, just okay...

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/giant-trance-advanced-pro-29-1-review/

I generally like the mag. They do cool reviews and nice product. I also like the comparisons. However..they are #Enduro bef%@ Sure Its the name of the publication, so I guess they are allowed to be biased. 

We all like to think were Enduro superstars in our dreams, but, in actual fact we are mostly just guys who ride trails, up and down and generally enjoy mountain bikes therefore trailriders who should own trailbikes.. If you're not into serious gravity, I'd say getting anything more than 120-130mm travel bike is a waste anyway. Is that AM?  

Back to the point, that Trance review was a part of a "Best trailbike money could buy" test. However all they rated the bikes by was the ability to go downhill very fast and how stable and planted they were going down "the mineshaft" 

Seriously. Trailbikes with 160mm travel front and rear.. Perhaps it should say, the Downhillers trailbike shootout.

I think they are only trailbikes because in most of those brands range there were bike that were even more slack and longer travel, therefore the 6.5' bike has to be a trailbike right?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just sold my Old Trance X29 that I used to race XC with and very often killed a couple of hard tail yielding snakes with - I am in the market for a new XC racer... the question and conundrum I sit with is that I REALLY want a new Anthem Advanced Pro but this new Trance is also calling my name...

I have a 2014 Trance Advanced fitted with a 150mm pike and Monarch plus with the super crazy enduro Tyres when I just want to do some shredding.

So I ask now - very confused - do I buy an Anthem or Trance advanced - considering I am keeping my 650B Trance K.I.A. machine???

Edited by s14phoenix

I really like what the new 29'er Trance is offering and it is a bike I certainly would not mind swinging a leg over

Hi,

I've ridden the Spark quite a bit. Currently the owner of the new Trance 29'er and my neighbor owns the Spark. In terms of comparing OUR bikes,

• he has narrower rims and more trail focused tyres on, my bike came std with wider rims (30mm internal) and DHF / DHR tyres which grip like its nobody's business, but are a bit slower to pedal to the top.
  • His has rmote lock out, mine is analoqgue
  • My bike came with DVO's Topaz shock that has a piggy back

Other than that they are both carbon frame, dropper posts, wide bars, 1x12, etc, etc.

If I could answer your question as short as possible. The Spark is closer to a stage / marathon type trail bike, where the Trance leans more toward being a proper all mountain bike. I've ridden the new alu Trance with a normal shock and even that one felt more like it wants to play than cover miles. It is still a good miles bike, just feels a bit more comfortable on rougher stuff. 

I'm sure either will be great, so best would be to ride a new Trance and then decide from there. 

Well, whaddya want it for? Racing, or general tomfoolery?

Racing... but I like a VERY capable race bike... hence the predicament - I am not sure the new anthem is quite up to what I want. I know the new trance 29 is but I fear it just not quite enough in the races.

Racing... but I like a VERY capable race bike... hence the predicament - I am not sure the new anthem is quite up to what I want. I know the new trance 29 is but I fear it just not quite enough in the races.

Well.... Test it. ????

Well.... Test it.

I wish Giant would have a bike test day around here in Gauteng but I have not heard of any such.

More than likely I would buy an Anthem - have a specific weapon for the specific task.

I wish Giant would have a bike test day around here in Gauteng but I have not heard of any such.

More than likely I would buy an Anthem - have a specific weapon for the specific task.

Anthem SX? But then if you had the old niner trance, the new one would make sense as a replacement

Sorry dude, you obviously don't know how small changes to geo and kinematics can change the way a bike rides and performs. 

Trance = hard hitting trail bike that acts as if it's got more travel than it has. A proper short-travel bruiser, like the Rocky Thunderbolt, Tranny Smuggler and other bikes that eke out the hooliganism despite the "lack" of travel. Happy to have long days in the saddle, but will pout more than a collie who hasn't been run for 4 days if that's all you do. Looks for trouble. Short legged AM bike. 

Spark = XCM / XCO bike with a bit more squish, happier to cover long distances instead of hanging with the cool kids. It'll do the tech stuff, but you'll need to be more clinical in your line choice instead of just letting it go. Long legged XC bike.

I was just looking at the small changes in geo never said there's no difference just said can't imagine a great difference with everyone raving about the Spark. But get what you say about a trail bike for longer rides and the other a xc bike for the trails.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after a couple short rides I can report the following differences vs the Spark:

1. The Giant is super comfortable to ride! It took me a bike fitting to get comfortable on the Spark. I literally set the saddle height, dropped the stem and rolled the bar forward a bit on the Giant and I find it fits me like a glove. No back pain, no shoulder pain, nothing!

2. The rear suspension is super active. The Spark always seemed a little harsh in the rear, like it wasn't keen to move. Giant does not have this problem.

3. The bike is stable. Pedaling with hands off the bars and the Spark felt like it wanted to dart around and spit me off. The Giant just tracks straight! Found this especially on a couple of downhills as well. The Spark was always a bit nervous, the Giant isn't.

4. Climbing is a bit more of an effort on the Giant. Not a big thing, just more incentive to get fit and TTFU

5. Maxxis Minions are amazing! they do such a good job of being the first bit of suspension travel and providing tons of grip! Loving them

Doing the first "long" ride this weekend. Will update with further findings :clap:

My feedback on trance old 27.5

Super fun bike, promotes confidence, almost bombproof.

on the down side, doesn't climb as well ( more effort) also heavy as hell

Looks like a Trance 29 1 will be in my stable next week

just asking what weight is your bike ??