'Off The Bike' Training/Exercise

Currently, I am riding 3 to 4 times a week (wind dependant).  On days I can't ride, for whatever reason, I hit the gym for some upper body strength training, and single leg strength training.

I am curious to see who does what for 'off the bike' training?

currently on bike 6/7 days a week

hitting the gym twice a week (with a trainer)

Our focus areas; 

1)core strengthening 

2)power & explosive training (dependent on "on the bike" training load)

3)stability/mobility functional exercises 

Very little to none "upper body strength training" on my side.

currently on bike 6/7 days a week

hitting the gym twice a week (with a trainer)

Our focus areas; 

1)core strengthening 

2)power & explosive training (dependent on "on the bike" training load)

3)stability/mobility functional exercises 

Very little to none "upper body strength training" on my side.

Thanks!

That sounds like quite an intense routine!  Are you training for something specific?

So just so that I am on the same page:

Core - Would be things like plank etc?

Power & Explosive - Box jumps etc?

Stability/Mobility - Balance and flexibility?

I havent been doing much off the bike in the past 2 months.

But usually it is riding 4-5 times a week, and gym about 3 times a week.

I do strength work on the legs on a monday or tuesday, so I have enough time to recover for the longer weekend rides.

Then its core work, planks/crunches etc.

and then upper body and arms. I found that training bi's & tri's help alot with riding in the drops for longer periods.

Thanks!

That sounds like quite an intense routine!  Are you training for something specific?

So just so that I am on the same page:

Core - Would be things like plank etc?

Power & Explosive - Box jumps etc?

Stability/Mobility - Balance and flexibility?

I commute to work and also base my on bike training around this (win win).

Not training for a specific event no, i do race MTB & road.

I actually got into it after suffering with lower back issues after hard rides. Was advised on strengthening up the core. 

+-18 months later and the issues is long gone but haven't stopped training since. Makes a massive difference in racing experience. Particular after an event. 

you are more or less correct with exercises. 

I havent been doing much off the bike in the past 2 months.

But usually it is riding 4-5 times a week, and gym about 3 times a week.

I do strength work on the legs on a monday or tuesday, so I have enough time to recover for the longer weekend rides.

Then its core work, planks/crunches etc.

and then upper body and arms. I found that training bi's & tri's help alot with riding in the drops for longer periods.

Thanks Veebee!

I do a small amount of upper body i.e. chest, tri's/bi's, lats and then a bit of rowing, purely because I have been told that the K2C (doing my first one this year) has some longish downhills that can be quite taxing on the upper body if not conditioned.

I cycle 5-6 times a week. Average 130km 2500m climbing per week.

Run twice a week. Average 10km per week.

Then with the runs a bit of intervals and cross training.

I want to start increasing my upper body strength training a bit more. Maybe twice a week working on that going forward. And I also want start doing intervals on the bike now and then instead of just going for a ride.

Cycle 3-4 days per week

Run 3 days.1 session is 8 x hill repeats on a 400m hill with a 2km w/u and 3km w/d

3 days of gym concentrating on core and legs.

Thanks Veebee!

I do a small amount of upper body i.e. chest, tri's/bi's, lats and then a bit of rowing, purely because I have been told that the K2C (doing my first one this year) has some longish downhills that can be quite taxing on the upper body if not conditioned.

Train your shoulders and tri's. Both will help with the downhills and climbs.

@Pusher Thanks for the advice.

@pista and JohanDiv I see you both incorporate a bit of running into your training. Any particular reason why? I come from a running background, so am wondering if I should start throwing in one or two days of running...

When i  was racing in the 80 and 90's training every day and racing twice a week i used a punch bag for my off bike  training . I would warm up for 15 minutes on my rollers and then spend between 20 to 30 minutes working on the punch bag .For those that have never boxed before the first time you try it you wont make 10 minutes on a bag . It strengthens core muscles , wrists , forearm , shoulders and helped with reflexes . This i did twice a week later in the evening after my dinner had settled . Have the bag hanging in a well ventilated area or have a big fan blowing and big bottle of water you perspire like you are in a sauna 

I do the Bikini Body Guide exercises with my wife.

I'm not sure how I'll look in a bikini next summer, but if anyone does all those push ups, squats, lunges and ab work that Kaela prescribes, then they'll be pretty strong and hot.

It almost like crossfit, two circuits of 7 mins, x2 after a 1 min break that one can do at home with a bit of creativity (steps, weights, mats and a timer ate all you need.)

Edit: oh and burpees, millions of burpees.

What works for me :

Sat & Sunday- MTB

Monday-

leg strength day (enough time to recover before the weekend)

Deadlifts (good to mimic posture of lower back on the bike)

Squats

Then finish the day with 4 of the following (I rotate weekly)

Box jumps (explosive movement like a short burst on the bike)

Single leg lunges (to ensure no dominant leg bias)

Jumping lunges (explosive movement....)

Kettle bell squats / thrusters (anaerobic threshold training)

Step ups (again working on single leg, and focus on glutes and hamstrings)

KB swings (again good back posture and works hamstrings too)

Pair up 2 exercises (superset) to save time. Like KB swings and KB squats

Tues- rest

Wed - long slow cycle on watt bike. Base work.

Thurs - run or spinning class.

Fri - upper body (rest legs)

Usually a mix of dips, pullups, face pulls, presses, cleans, push-ups. Legs get a rest before weekend cycling

Rinse. Repeat.

I do the Bikini Body Guide exercises with my wife.

I'm not sure how I'll look in a bikini next summer, but if anyone does all those push ups, squats, lunges and ab work that Kaela prescribes, then they'll be pretty strong and hot.

It almost like crossfit, two circuits of 7 mins, x2 after a 1 min break that one can do at home with a bit of creativity (steps, weights, mats and a timer ate all you need.)

Edit: oh and burpees, millions of burpees.

Thanks!  I just Googled this and watched the Week 1/Day 1 - Legs & Cardio.  Going to try this routine and see how it goes  :thumbup:

Thanks! I just Googled this and watched the Week 1/Day 1 - Legs & Cardio. Going to try this routine and see how it goes :thumbup:

Kief. Hopefully you'll look better in a bikini than I would.

Archived