Ernst Viljoen

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Nice. The long route with it's 1800m climbing is always a rewarding but demanding experience. 

Last time I did it, we clocked 2200m climbing. Definitely a proper mtb event.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

How technical are the routes wrt single track? 

Regards, 

Tough one to answer - are you familiar with any of the Tygerberg trails?

What singletrack riding have you done before at other locations?

I have done some entry level  tracks like Meerdendal, Majik Forest and Bottelary Hills. But it sounds like the 60Km Durbie Dash might be slightly advanced for my level. Do you know if the 45 would be doable given the above? We just finished the K2C, so we are fit, but just concerned about skill level for hectic single track.

Tough one to answer - are you familiar with any of the Tygerberg trails?

What singletrack riding have you done before at other locations?

I have done some entry level  tracks like Meerdendal, Majik Forest and Bottelary Hills. But it sounds like the 60Km Durbie Dash might be slightly advanced for my level. Do you know if the 45 would be doable given the above? We just finished the K2C, so we are fit, but just concerned about skill level for hectic single track.

I think your technical skills would be fine if you ride the places you mentioned, the bigger challenge will be the loads of climbing (and sometimes the heat)

I am not 100% sure which exact trails they use in the Durbie Dash mtb race in the 45km and 60km races.

I think with those trails you will have a decent base for singletrack riding and with your K2C fitness, there shouldn't be much hassle in doing the 45km race.

1800m elevation on singletrack is a bit tougher than doing it on jeep track

You'll be fine if you made K2C. Single track is on par with Bottelary Hills. 

Thanks for your help!

I am not 100% sure which exact trails they use in the Durbie Dash mtb race in the 45km and 60km races.

I think with those trails you will have a decent base for singletrack riding and with your K2C fitness, there shouldn't be much hassle in doing the 45km race.

Essentially, the above sharing with regards to the singe track means that none of the advanced technical bits such as Hoogekraal Cobra and Contermans DH lines will be used in an event aimed at general public participation. 

edit - looking at the route on the website, Cobra is in play on the 60km it seems.

I have only contested one event on my "local" trails so far in the Nissan Trailseeker in 2015. I managed a DNF on that one, and have a score to settle, so I may just partake this time round.

I've done this for a good couple of years now, in the current format it is not too bad, worst was 2015, good gravy that was brutal.

But if I can do it then anyone can. 

Did the 45km last year, it covered sections of Altydgedacht, Hillcrest, Contermans, Faircape and Meerendedal totaled 1300m of climbing. If you do trails like Bottelary this is do-able. The 60km includes the Hoogekraal trails.

Edited by Rudii