SRAM NX Crank stripped bolts

Jako De Wet

Hi everyone

So in my infinite wisdom of trying to get rid of a crankset creek, I over-tightened my direct mount chainring and seems I have stripped 2 of the 3 bolts. I am going to locktite them as good as possible and hoping it lasts the 60kms waiting for me at the CTCT MTB this weekend.

So now my question is, is there anyway to fix this somehow? Current mac says he can't tap in helicoils, so apparently that is not an option. New crank is going to set me back a couple of K.

Unless someone has a compatible 170mm DM right crank arm just laying around.

Any options I'm not thinking of?

Such a k#k design to have to replace the whole freaking crank for stripping 2 bolts...

Edited by Jako De Wet

How'd you end up stripping two bolts? 

According to me the reason for the creak was that I didn't tighten it enough in the first place. Then I thought, let's just give it one tiny little turn more and it just kept on turning...and turning...and turning...

Assume you stripped the hole and not the bolt..... if you stripped the bolt then you can just replace the bolt(s) - no? If you stripped the hole (like I think you mean), then that's bigger issues....

Assume you stripped the hole and not the bolt..... if you stripped the bolt then you can just replace the bolt(s) - no? If you stripped the hole (like I think you mean), then that's bigger issues....

bolts are all in tact, thread/hole is stripped.

Thanks PhillipV, I know Lance, will give him a call. I have a colleague here that works in the engineering department and he can also tap new thread for me, so all is not lost.

I guess that is what you can expect when you buy SRAM, if it is aluminium have an insert made that fits the original bolt size on the inside and M10 on the outside. Use Red loctite to keep that in place and screw in the original bolts.

If it is carbon , uhm rather buy Shimano :ph34r: