Still new to biking...yes this is a rant

Wheelie87

I don't mean to be facetious here and am not trying to stir, but what would you prefer happens in this situation?  Some hubs are just crap and eat bearings.  So your choice is to either replace the bearings every few months or buy a new hub and spokes and get it re-laced to your rim - not the cheapest exercise, and not one which more bike shops would recommend.  

I think my point in this instance is that the product, Roval wheels, sold by the concept store, in this case Specialized  are rubbish and not fit for intended purpose.  They know this but happily take your money on a repair that won't work. 

I've had cheap Giant hubs that are still going strong without any problems many years later. So it is possible to have cheap and reliable in one. 

What should happen is that the product should be properly made in the first place. If it isn't it should be replaced, instead of abusing the owner by charging for repairs that don't work. 

In this case the rims are probably worse than the hubs and are 28 spoke where I would always upgrade to 32...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did you not know you need to "upgrade" that bike annually!

I think my point in this instance is that the product, Roval wheels, sold by the concept store, in this case Specialized  are rubbish and not fit for intended purpose.  They know this but happily take your money on a repair that won't work. 

I've had cheap Giant hubs that are still going strong without any problems many years later. So it is possible to have cheap and reliable in one. 

What should happen is that the product should be properly made in the first place. If it isn't it should be replaced, instead of abusing the owner by charging for repairs that don't work. 

In this case the rims are probably worse than the hubs and are 28 spoke where I would always upgrade to 32...

WE STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT TYRE IT WAS  :thumbdown:

When I got into cycling I heard Racing Ralphs were cool. Drove through to a shop in Southern Subs that had them on sale for R120 each. Needless to say it was wire bead non tubeless paper sidewall crap. Bought 4, threw 4 away after learning my mistake.

did you not know you need to "upgrade" that bike annually!

I'm not as promiscuous as you... 

Today I severed all ties with my LBSs – this will be my last rant.

I’m ending this post with the last of countless dismal service experiences – it has come full circle – where I bought the bike is where it ended.

Nov’17 I bought SLX brakes on a Black Friday deal from a local online dealer as the stock brakes that came with my bike where crappy IMO.

Had them fitted and subsequently serviced at this LBS where it all began and where I’ve been getting most of the work done on my bikes the last two/three years. (Note - not the same shop as where I bought the tyre in OP)

In Feb of this year after visiting said LBS to quickly pump a slow puncture on my commute home I again voiced my disappointment with these brakes (as from being fitted they never felt like my friends’ SLX brakes (they can vouch for this) and after numerous bleeds and tweaks at two different LBSs they were still disappointing – they always seemed to lose pressure and felt weak - I don’t know) anyway - the owner very quickly checked/scanned and again could not find anything glaringly wrong. That afternoon I head out to meet a friend for some light shredding. I now hear a strange noise every time I brake…to my (and subsequently every person’s) surprise the rear brake caliper broke – see pic. 

No ride - Back to the shop the next day. Never in their life have they seen something like this – neither have I.

I have a used Deore calliper which they manage to fit in the meantime. Bargain – I can still ride a bit while I figure out what to do – I also use this bike to commute to work. 

Said LBS can’t send the calliper in to Shimano as I didn’t buy it there. I ask for them to please give me all the SLX parts (i.e. at least the two main pieces) as I need this to return to the online retailer. Get home – obv they forgot to give the one broken off part – back to the shop, no worries, I was heading out in any case.

Next day I hear a funny sound, now, the Deore caliper is noisy (I full well know I am running a Deore caliper with SLX lever etc. and it’s not ideal) Back to the shop. Oh, they forgot to put in some spring or something or they did put it in but something was wrong I couldn’t really understand – I know too little to ask more or complain and I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt as it is now mix and match parts. It was a Friday and I was having a beer while waiting so I was easy and the noise was now gone.  

FFWD lest I bore you with more details – online retailer replaces broken caliper as Shimano offers a 2yr guarantee on SLX products. I get it. Yay. Take it to the LBS now super excited. No hose was included with replacement and LBS do not have hoses (the hose was still attached to the faulty caliper I sent in). The owner being a pleasant chap first suggests I get the hose at another nearby LBS but then said they’ll have a look and could possibly sort me out. Bargain. I’m amped again. It’s Wednesday afternoon – he says come back Thursday.

Throughout Thursday I call several times just to check on progress and if I should rather come Friday – no answer (I later learn it was monthly stock take and they then do not answer phones – never knew that).

I get there after work and see my bike sparkling clean hanging on one of those bike hooks against a wall. I didn’t even ask for a wash so I’m happy. I notice it is hanging directly against a single nipple and spoke of the front wheel (if you know what I mean) - having one of these hooks at home on which I sometimes store my bike - I (and my apparent absolute no knowledge of bikes) try to avoid this at all costs as it just doesn’t look right to suspend the full bike weight like that. I don’t know. Anyway, they didn’t fit the new caliper as they were too busy – I fully understand and say can I take it as is as the weather is again perfect and I’m itching for a ride and bring it again the next day – All is good - thumbs up all around. I get to the car and notice the one bar end plug of the brand new grips I fitted (myself) a few days earlier and have only taken on one short ride is broken and you can clearly see the handle bar through it. I’m now angry, saddened, frustrated - depressed even. This week is not going well. I go home, gear up and en route to the trails quickly pop in to say I’m frustrated. 

The answer I get after waiting awkwardly around as they continue with stock take and only briefly glancing at me is ... We hang all bikes on the spokes like that (I’m again amazed – I’m learning so much) I’m asked what did I use to fit the bar end plugs with…I respond like the supposed caveman I am – with my bare hands – I honestly do not know if you get a special tool for this and I wouldn’t be surprised if you did. The packaging of these grips had absolutely no instructions on so having done this before I again used my grubby paws to install them. Can you imagine.

They replace the bar end plugs with ones in a different colour and sort of kind of apologise in some way. I voice my frustration in a very calm manner stating that this is not an isolated incident – it’s the norm.

I get a hesitant we’re sorry but…

Today I went there to retrieve the replacement caliper and to tell them I've received lacking service the last two years, always kept calm about it, but it’s over now and I'm done with bike shops.

They hand me the caliper and with a big smile and a shake of the hand bid me farewell and say they understand. Nothing more nothing less. Again, it feels like I'm taking crazy pills.

Anyway, probably much ado about nothing and I'm crazy to rant like this, yet here I am.

I now know I was the idiot going back there time and again if I was not happy with the service even after bringing it to their attention each time. That’s on me.

I think I tried to look past the mistakes and wanted them to be better and believed they would be plus they are very close to my house and work and I bought the bike there and they always seem nice and they have a more similar riding discipline/style than the people from other LBSs in my area and to their credit they are actually very knowledgeable about cycling, etc.

Like a first GF or something I just wanted it to work and stayed in the relationship - a type of Stockholm syndrome if you will. I can only blame myself really. I honestly think their shop is different and something special but service delivery and execution is mostly dismal…in my (and a few other colleagues’ and friends’ opinions ) Having mostly always dealt with one of the owners, what more is there that I can do other than rant online. I’m sure this is not everyone’s experience and I know of at least one other person who loves the service he got there and Google reviews look good. So keep it up then I guess – just not for me.

Anyway – meh – that’s me - never to rant again.

Hello only online purchases and DIY bike servicing.

Trail and error here I come.

Okay Wheelie, you may not want to hear this .... but EVERY story has two sides, well actually three ....

Consider the following :

- You buy parts somewhere else, then ask your LBS to fit it ...

- You save a few rands doing this .... BUT, you also take profit away from the LBS - like it or not, that is just a hard fact.

- Your LBS fits the parts for an agreed labour rate.

everybody happy, until the part fails ...

- now the LBS is loosing labour hours on a part that they did not even make 2c on.

- Your LBS spent a LOT of hours going this way and that way to help you out ....  Imagine the labour bill if you paid the going labour rate for every hour they worked on "somebody elses" parts ....

They may be professional enough to swallow this .... but NO business needs this type of business ....

MY opinion - walk over there tomorrow, and make amends with the owner.

By all means, YES, get tools, get the skills and do the bulk of your work yourself.  Just KNOW that when dealing with mechanical things, **** happens !!  Every so often you will have a part that drives you up the wall.

Really sorry you have had so much bad luck with these brakes, and really hope the brakes AND the LBS issues are resolved quickly.

PS - this post is purely a glimpse into the other side of the coin.  In no way what so ever is this a stab at you.

Okay Wheelie, you may not want to hear this .... but EVERY story has two sides, well actually three ....

Consider the following :

- You buy parts somewhere else, then ask your LBS to fit it ...

- You save a few rands doing this .... BUT, you also take profit away from the LBS - like it or not, that is just a hard fact.

- Your LBS fits the parts for an agreed labour rate.

everybody happy, until the part fails ...

- now the LBS is loosing labour hours on a part that they did not even make 2c on.

- Your LBS spent a LOT of hours going this way and that way to help you out ....  Image the labour bill if you paid the going labour rate for every hour they worked on "somebody elses" parts ....

They may be professional enough to swallow this .... but NO business needs this type of business ....

MY opinion - walk over there tomorrow, and make amends with the owner.

By all means, YES, get tools, get the skills and do the bulk of your work yourself.  Just KNOW that when dealing with mechanical things, **** happens !!  Every so often you will have a part that drives you up the wall.

Really sorry you have had so much bad luck with these brakes, and really hope the brakes AND the LBS issues are resolved quickly.

PS - this post is purely a glimpse into the other side of the coin.  In no way what so ever is this a stab at you.

Thanks for the reply and I hear what you are saying. I'm not upset with them about the brake failing nor that they couldn’t help with the guarantee claim. I paid for them to fit the interim Deore brake and was going to pay to have the new replacement brake fitted and pay for the new hose. They were never losing any labour costs, on the contrary - only the profit form the SLX brakes and if I wasn't on a tight budget I would've bought it from them but plain and simple I couldn't afford it if it wasn't on the Black Friday deal...so they still always make labour costs from me which is better than nothing...I guess. I buy what I can from them. (Was waiting months for certain grips and knee pads that didn't come in - Anyway, that's not the point.) I left there shaking hands and I guess a general sense of no hard feelings it's just over. I think I did the right thing going there, calmly telling them that I wasn't happy, shook hands and left. I don't know anymore.

Haha been overthinking this whole thing obviously.

I was told in Nov by LBS that my rear hub was shot (it was), and needed replacement which I had done.

Go back in Jan for chain issues.

"Sir, your rear hub is shot. Needs replacement..."

Cue me losing it...

New hub was fitted under guarantee...uuhhh jaaa okay then...

Jeez bru,that bike shop is terrible.

Now that you have escaped Stockholm, it's time to find yourself a decent bike shop.

I'd suggest staying away from the exotic redhead bike shop and the supermodel bike shop. Rather find the nice girl next door bike shop that knows how to fix a bike, makes you laugh and knows how to tell you when it is your mistake that caused the mechanical issue. And remember that a relationship takes trust and effort from both sides.

Ps: please post pics of the broken caliper. I'm curious.

Jeez bru,that bike shop is terrible.

Now that you have escaped Stockholm, it's time to find yourself a decent bike shop.

I'd suggest staying away from the exotic redhead bike shop and the supermodel bike shop. Rather find the nice girl next door bike shop that knows how to fix a bike, makes you laugh and knows how to tell you when it is your mistake that caused the mechanical issue. And remember that a relationship takes trust and effort from both sides.

Ps: please post pics of the broken caliper. I'm curious.

Strange..thought I did post the pic.

Ag I realise this last rant was written in anger/frustration (I see you can't delete posts haha...now I know)

Having slept on it I know there is actually no point to it

Not sure what I was trying to achieve 

Please ignore

On to the next

Cheers 

post-103094-0-09636000-1551507707_thumb.jpg

Strange..thought I did post the pic.

Ag I realise this last rant was written in anger/frustration (I see you can't delete posts haha...now I know)

Having slept on it I know there is actually no point to it

Not sure what I was trying to achieve 

Please ignore

On to the next

Cheers 

Why does that bolt below your thumb look abused?

Eish, welcome to the wonderful world of bicycles and the love/hate of the LBS. It is a long and tough road, in my experience and you can never tell when treachery will prevail. The same main peanut, very well known Durban bike shop, sold me the wrong size bicycle, assuring me it was on "special" but I soon found it was a ripoff, but later sold me very good entry level shoes (I just went in for a price). Another well known Durban shop back in the day sold me a ladies saddle, also on "special". Took a lot of pain to find that one out - the sticker was small. Never went back.

But I've had consistent outstanding service from the Minnaar shop in Pmb, Spez in Waterfall (Spez in Somerset West; horrible) and Good2Go; Jason a stand out (all the best). Solomons and Cyclesphere ok. The other 5 or 10 I've frequented over 20 years; meh. Mostly expensive bullsh!tters.

might I suggest you switch to SRAM brakes!

The broken caliper is bizarre. My 2013 SLX brakes have given no problems and rarely need bleeding. No caliper should breake there unless fitted incorrectly eg skew or back to front. I wonder if the bike shop didnt cause the problem by fitting it badly? 

Best bet is to jump in and take the trial and error process as it comes and come out the other side a home bike mechanic. 

Archived