[Event] 100 Cycle Challenge

Beodome

I sent the photo to Stefano - such a character on and off the bike.

I will upload the material to youtube or you can pm me a dropbox link and I will copy it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a race. Mass confusion at the start regarding the batches and running late did not help. must be my fastest race start section ever. Glad it never went thru Vervoedpark, and Alberton with that size A bunch. Don't know why the bunch was so large and I think there were so riders that would of been in the later bunches at other races thrown into the A bunch. I'm glad the guys spent 13hrs the day before marking the route and filling the potholes otherwise. I might need new wheels at least this week had I hit a pothole at those speeds. Way too much yoyo in the bunch. I felt sorry for the guys that tried to make a break but did not succeed but they got it right coming onto the highway and putting the gutter into the cones. It's racing and I knew it was going to happen but way too dangerous having an open highway and bunch racing with mass participation race where you are passing riders on the highway. That was the scariest 12km of my life tying to dodge the cones. I touched 3 cones and flattened one at full tilt. Glad Road Ranges were there looking after us. The finish was great but too many participants never received times. Maybe it was an issue with the mats, position of them. I hope they correct it. I really wanted to do that race and I have done it. Will I be back, no thanks its just too dangerous. I hope the people that crashed have a speedy recovery. Enjoy the ride, even if its just for coffee.

Welcome to the HUB! 

I sent the photo to Stefano - such a character on and off the bike.

I thought it looked like him. Isn't he VC though? That was VB bunch?

I thought it looked like him. Isn't he VC though? That was VB bunch?

We were chatting at Maluti, and he said he moves up next year. Must be right as we were both in the 35-39 age group at SA’s in 2009.

We were chatting at Maluti, and he said he moves up next year. Must be right as we were both in the 35-39 age group at SA’s in 2009.

Ah ok. I thought it was this year he moved up.

Start was a bit of a mess with everyone just standing around not really knowing what is happening.

With the 50km guys they had them lining up from inside the Germiston Lake area, not sure why they didnt do it with the 100km

Started 20 min late in a massive A bunch. MAX HR achieved in the first few km to get back to bunch just to drop my chain somehow as we turned left going to Alrode.

Got into a small group, I think with bmw1za.

Cramped with 20km to go and had a looooooooooong slow solo ride to the end.

Saw some very pissed of motorist at the big intersection just before the N17 and then also the guys stuck on the highway.

Chatted to one of the organisers after the race, sounds like they wont have the N17 section again.

What bike are you riding dude ? The guy on the red Colnago is pretty strong , did some solid pulls 

What a race. Mass confusion at the start regarding the batches and running late did not help. must be my fastest race start section ever. Glad it never went thru Vervoedpark, and Alberton with that size A bunch. Don't know why the bunch was so large and I think there were so riders that would of been in the later bunches at other races thrown into the A bunch. I'm glad the guys spent 13hrs the day before marking the route and filling the potholes otherwise. I might need new wheels at least this week had I hit a pothole at those speeds. Way too much yoyo in the bunch. I felt sorry for the guys that tried to make a break but did not succeed but they got it right coming onto the highway and putting the gutter into the cones. It's racing and I knew it was going to happen but way too dangerous having an open highway and bunch racing with mass participation race where you are passing riders on the highway. That was the scariest 12km of my life tying to dodge the cones. I touched 3 cones and flattened one at full tilt. Glad Road Ranges were there looking after us. The finish was great but too many participants never received times. Maybe it was an issue with the mats, position of them. I hope they correct it. I really wanted to do that race and I have done it. Will I be back, no thanks its just too dangerous. I hope the people that crashed have a speedy recovery. Enjoy the ride, even if its just for coffee.

I got onto the highway with the front of A, to stay out of the wind I ended halfway across the lane open for cars. The marshals kept on trying to get us to go back onto the coned off section of the road. Which is fully understandable, but once there, you were exposed to the wind. The cones on the highway were dangerous I dodged a few. Eventually I got dropped when going back into the safety of the coned of section. Finished on a 2.38 with the second group in A.

I got onto the highway with the front of A, to stay out of the wind I ended halfway across the lane open for cars. The marshals kept on trying to get us to go back onto the coned off section of the road. Which is fully understandable, but once there, you were exposed to the wind. The cones on the highway were dangerous I dodged a few. Eventually I got dropped when going back into the safety of the coned of section. Finished on a 2.38 with the second group in A.

Ok, so you should really be disqualified for not following the marshals orders, correct?

Ok, so you should really be disqualified for not following the marshals orders, correct?

Me and the rest of A and probably a lot of the other groups. I did follow the marshals orders, moved over, nearly hit the cones and then after dodging the cones and being out in the wind I got dropped. The guys that stayed on the left of the cones, stayed on. As somebody mentioned in earlier post we should have stayed on the left side of the highway, which would have created a whole lot of problems at the off ramps. Edited by Dgas

Regards the N17 I was also WTF about riding on the right but then realized there were 2 other ramps, Rondebuilt and Wadeville which would have been an issue had we not. Another positive is there was no issue of shorter and longer riders "interfering" with each other. 

Me and the rest of A and probably a lot of the other groups. I did follow the marshals orders, moved over, nearly hit the cones and then after dodging the cones and being out in the wind I got dropped. The guys that stayed on the left of the cones, stayed on. As somebody mentioned in earlier post we should have stayed on the left side of the highway, which would have created a whole lot of problems at the off ramps.

If a single file line down the side inside the cones was the extent of the group's make up and you dropped off not being able to hold the wheel then you should be dropped. Hard fact to face but fact. Those who rode on the opposite of the cones should be DQ but there is no hard barrier and no way to fully police the group. As organizers i would have neutralized the group and stopped the race and from there anyone crossing be DQ but the manpower required to police such a move is far too big. However it has been done before.

Edited by s14phoenix

If a single file line down the side inside the cones was the extent of the group's make up and you dropped off not being able to hold the wheel then you should be dropped. Hard fact to face but fact. Those who rode on the opposite of the cones should be DQ but there is no hard barrier and no way to fully police the group. As organizers i would have neutralized the group and stopped the race and from there anyone crossing be DQ but the manpower required to police such a move is far too big. However it has been done before.

on any other road you would be riding on the side in the dirt.

I am a bit unsure of the details but... I have picked up that perhaps the prize for the 1st in the ladies category was awarded to the wrong lady???

The ladies in AL seemed to have either had a timing anomaly or some other confusion - 2nd seems to have pictures of her prize etc on her Strava profile.

:oops: