[Event] 100 Cycle Challenge

Beodome

Another AL bunch surfer rat here... having not done any outside rides other than Tour of Durban I fear it is awfully cold in the mornings to be in lycra on a bicycle... 12degC to 15degC predicted for races day - sorry but without much "natural" insulation that's Brrrrrrr in my book

Coffee ride this morning revealed a 10 degree ambient at about 6am. AL start is just before 7:30, so the lead up to the start is going to be chilly, but after 7 it should warm up to not be too unbearable. 

Newspaper in the jersey for me, easily store able.. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i started a ride in the cradle at 7h30 and it was a cherry 12 degrees.

arm warmers, mtb gloves, a light vest and a wind breaker is all that was needed.

Also in AL for some unknown reason (last time I was in AL was Berge en Dale and I got dropped on the first hill  :oops: )

I'm basically planning on hanging on desperately as long as I can.

I’nm doing the same as last year... a 15km fun run in Boksburg (Colgate). I’m one of the many that skipped the ERCC, but my reason was fatigue. If the public holiday (27th) wasn’t on the Saturday, I might have opted for the Tour Durban anyway.

Haven’t had a proper break since mid-2017, and MalutiD90 was my final cycling event before a decent break. Looking forward to lots of coffee rides for the next month and a half.

Also in AL for Sunday

Been off the bike sunce Maluti in April, sick kids, sick me and sick wife.

Please give me a quick run down of route?

Same as last year?

http://sc10.dns-guards.com/~cyclechallengeco/stage/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/100_Cycle_Route_Map.png

Also in AL for Sunday

Been off the bike sunce Maluti in April, sick kids, sick me and sick wife.

Please give me a quick run down of route?

Same as last year?

http://sc10.dns-guards.com/~cyclechallengeco/stage/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/100_Cycle_Route_Map.png

Down Black Reef, onto R554 to Alrode.

Down the step, left at Klipriver.

Pass SBR, right into R103 to Heidelberg

Left on R23 all the way to Carnival City

N17 back to Wits Rifle road and up to the finish.

Good luck to all participants today. 

Keep the rubber side down, respect other cyclists and motorists, and have fun. 

Elite race being live streamed. I'm hoping AL/BL to be back before they set off, have a buddy debut-ing today in his first elites race as a team, very excited for him. 

i was sleeping in A ... missed the split .. blew myself trying to bridge ... urghhhhh 

but it was fun (LOL)

i was sleeping in A ... missed the split .. blew myself trying to bridge ... urghhhhh 

but it was fun (LOL)

lol thats my fault.

i put a big effort in up that highway 5-6 people then bridged to me, and from there around another 15 or so. bunch really blew up along the highway.

tried to jump ahead on the last hill and got caught 300m from the line.

got 5th i think. had a blast!

lol thats my fault.

i put a big effort in up that highway 5-6 people then bridged to me, and from there around another 15 or so. bunch really blew up along the highway.

tried to jump ahead on the last hill and got caught 300m from the line.

got 5th i think. had a blast!

Brilliant Dude !!  first race back in A ... hopefully i will be more awake next time  ;)

There was a crash in A just after the left turn by Heidelberg. Was everybody ok? I missed it by a few bike lengths.

Tough day on the road for me, the route suited me so I cant even blame the wind. Struggled to hold onto any passing bunches so spent most of the time in solo mode and missed my target time by 10 min. 

Pity about the low attendance appearance, Being only the 2nd year there are still issues to be sorted such as the start area and here they can look at how Germsiton Wheelers do it. Positives were the number of metro officials and marshals, road closure on many of the roads and the start/finish area. I had no issue finding parking but some riders stated they did. 

Planning on returning next year to find that 10 min.