Jonkershoek route advice

Craig Armstrong

Awesome advice, I think I might plan my ride like that.

Just so I know what I'm getting myself into, how hard are the red lines of Jonkers?

I mean.. are there big drops and lots of rocks, or is it G Spot kind of riding? 

Fire Hut isn't technical at all, but it is sure fun. Armageddon (what used to be Canaries) starts off quite flowy, gets pretty rocky halfway down and then changes into flowy again at the bottom couple of sections. MEGA fun. You can take it as fast or slow as you want, and it's my favourite trail in Jonkers at the moment (until I clear Status Quo properly, I suspect)

Red phoenix can get rutty due to how it's exposed, so take care on that. A 2-lap repeat of Fire Hut & Armageddon should give you a good ride out. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-50361-0-94875200-1552987944_thumb.jpg

Here is the route I decscribed. AS far as I remember, Bosluis is an up only route, and its is quite a steep climb. Easier to go up the contours if you want to keep reserves for a Jonkershoek day mission.

Go up 1 to get to firehut, 

Then 2 to saaltjie, quite a lekker climb up. The last contour to saaltjie is quite steep and loose.

Then 3 to either do red phoenix / never ending story.

Finish with a cool down spin to wit brug on the kring pad and then back to the gate.

attachicon.gifmap.JPG

Here is the route I decscribed. AS far as I remember, Bosluis is an up only route, and its is quite a steep climb. Easier to go up the contours if you want to keep reserves for a Jonkershoek day mission.

Go up 1 to get to firehut, 

Then 2 to saaltjie, quite a lekker climb up. The last contour to saaltjie is quite steep and loose.

Then 3 to either do red phoenix / never ending story.

Finish with a cool down spin to wit brug on the kring pad and then back to the gate.

Thanks a million! This definitely helps a lot.

Though I'm now hearing that maybe I shouldn't bother with Red Phoenix or Neverendingstory.

Looks like most guys are voting for just doing 2 laps of Firehut and Armageddon. Maybe I'll do that. But your map will help me out with those parts too.

Thanks everyone

Thanks a million! This definitely helps a lot.

Though I'm now hearing that maybe I shouldn't bother with Red Phoenix or Neverendingstory.

Looks like most guys are voting for just doing 2 laps of Firehut and Armageddon. Maybe I'll do that. But your map will help me out with those parts too.

Thanks everyone

FWIW 2 laps of Fire Hut is a great way to get your eye in, and the climb is pretty chilled. Just take the LEFT HAND fork after the gate. The RH fork has an utter poooooooes of a climb. 

Armageddon is also definitely worth 2 shots. If you can handle it after you've done it top to bottom :P

FWIW 2 laps of Fire Hut is a great way to get your eye in, and the climb is pretty chilled. Just take the LEFT HAND fork after the gate. The RH fork has an utter poooooooes of a climb. 

Armageddon is also definitely worth 2 shots. If you can handle it after you've done it top to bottom :P

don't chicken out on the climbs.  the right hand climb is a good warmup.. haha

don't chicken out on the climbs.  the right hand climb is a good warmup.. haha

Fark. That. Shaite. Left hand climb is far more palatable, and far better as a warm-up. Maybe try the RH climb on your 2nd loop once you're warm... :P

Fark. That. Shaite. Left hand climb is far more palatable, and far better as a warm-up. Maybe try the RH climb on your 2nd loop once you're warm... :P

or just HTFU :ph34r: but the left probably a better option for a first timer

The Epic folks will be riding down Armageddon, as the Land Rover Technical Zone, on Sunday's last stage to Val de Vie.

I can only imagine the folks with not much left in their tanks after a gruelling week of riding are going to pay some serious taxes on this descent.

To prepare you for the ride, here is the video of that section made by Oli Munnik, Alan Hatherly and Simon Andreassen.

The Epic folks will be riding down Armageddon, as the Land Rover Technical Zone, on Sunday's last stage to Val de Vie.

I can only imagine the folks with not much left in their tanks after a gruelling week of riding are going to pay some serious taxes on this descent.

To prepare you for the ride, here is the video of that section made by Oli Munnik, Alan Hatherly and Simon Andreassen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km-de4829qw

Yeah, doing that after 70/80km or whatever will be interesting

Yup somehow I think a huge number of Epic riders will get a bit of a skills wake-up call going own Armageddon. If it's wet even more so..

Yup somehow I think a huge number of Epic riders will get a bit of a skills wake-up call going own Armageddon. If it's wet even more so..

Normally the technical terain sections are pretty tame. I'm sure on a normal day most riders would make it down Armageddon without too much trouble. But this is where one has to tip your hat to these riders - after 7 days and another 80 odd km with severe fatigue setting in I can see how the descent will be challenging to say the least.

Tiredness can make even the most experienced rider fly over the bars on a slightly rocly jeep track.

Normally the technical terain sections are pretty tame. I'm sure on a normal day most riders would make it down Armageddon without too much trouble. But this is where one has to tip your hat to these riders - after 7 days and another 80 odd km with severe fatigue setting in I can see how the descent will be challenging to say the least.

Tiredness can make even the most experienced rider fly over the bars on a slightly rocly jeep track.

Think about two years ago how many riders didn't survive "the Gorge" on Hooggekraal, which that you can just roll over at 5km/h if you want.

But agreed, hats off to those that even make it to the Armageddon trailhead after 7 days of very very tiring riding. I can't even picture myself ever doing 2000m of climbing on tar in one day, let alone the sandy trails out of Hermanus to Oak Valley, and these riders do it day after day after day.

When you guys talk about the left climb vs right climb, are you talking about the fork here.

So I must preferably follow the red line? And then is it worth going up Bos Luis or just take the yellow line up?

jikGQTQ.jpg

When you guys talk about the left climb vs right climb, are you talking about the fork here.

So I must preferably follow the red line? And then is it worth going up Bos Luis or just take the yellow line up?

jikGQTQ.jpg

Left and right refers to the mountain you climb. Jonkers is in a valley, when you come into the gate you will see a mountain face on your right and on your left. The one on the right has firehut trail, the rest are on the left.

The red line (from what I can make out) is the circle route cars drive on - not worth it. I'd rather take the yellow line up than bos luis.

jikGQTQ.jpg

Yes, but also no. There's a fork off a fork, and the gate is only on one of the forks. Go through the gate and then go up the yellow line to the left (right in this pic, left as you're facing the gate) to the top of the dual red striped trail. 

I'm keen to ride jonkers on Thursday. Just checking if it's open, considering the epic going there.

I see that Armageddon is the old canaries. Is iron monkey the old double black that has been there long time?

Archived