Sram Eagle NX rant & rave

Red Bird

on Shimano stuff that guide jockey wheel (top one) has RED (not medium blue) threadlock on it. t

This could sortoff support Headshots argument that maybe the friction causes the screw to undo itself...that then leads to catastrophic failure? 

Edited by morneS555

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on Shimano stuff that guide jockey wheel (top one) has RED (not medium blue) threadlock on it. t

This could sortoff support Headshots argument that maybe the friction causes the screw to undo itself...that then leads to catastrophic failure?

Called Locktite, I heard?

locktite is just a brand name, wynns makes some, pratley too. But the color standards are universal.

GREEN -permanent (you'll cut or drill this off lol)

RED - HIGH strenght (needs proper heat to be removed)

BLUE - Medium (what appears to be on there)

PURPLE - (dont even bother)

Edit: punctuation-my keyboard's spacebar is making me look special...

Edited by morneS555

That's only for GX/X01/XX1, apparently the NX uses a different system hence the weird looking washer. 

My friend who broke his over the weekend hasn't taken it apart and it was a brand new bike.  

The cage is the same NX just uses a BUSH and not bearings 

OP upgrade to the GX pulley and cage.

post-31289-0-78870400-1554727122_thumb.png

Just my luck -  days after spending about 5K+ to overhaul my whole drivetrain to make it an Eagle NX this thread pops up  :cursing:

I really hope this is an isolated issue...

nx.PNG

Missed that then, apologies.

Here is my idea on what happened. Since a friend of mine did it also

Friend took Pulley of to clean etc and installed it.

Came to me and said gearing "NOT lekka"

So we set the High and low limit and as they were off and installed cable and set index = all good.

Start riding and on the first climb we hear tik tik tik tik....sounded like spoke touching the RD>

Unloaded it looks ok, but then I noticed that there is a little gap and the RD inside cage it not flush with pulley.

SRAM 12 speed pulleys uses 3 washers /spacers that has one size hole and ONE that is slightly larger. that one goes on the top inside. If you don't do that the bolt does not thread in all the way. So my theory is that people take it apart to clean and assemble it wrong. So either the RD get eaten buy Spokes or the bolt breaks like what happened here

This caused the need to set the low high limit. 

Put the washers in correct place and reset limit. ALL GOOD.

Was at my lbs today, and this is what happened to mine :blush: . Did not know of the one that is slightly larger, and that caused the bolt to strip out. But managed to safe the part that stripped by putting in a longer bolt. 

Edit : But my LBS confirmed that this had happened to a couple of Sram RD's that was installed correctly

Edited by Wil6

Just my luck -  days after spending about 5K+ to overhaul my whole drivetrain to make it an Eagle NX this thread pops up  :cursing:

I really hope this is an isolated issue...

I'm in the same boat here and cringed when I saw this thread. Mine has been on for 5 months and it is still going great. That being said, I wash my drivetrain thoroughly after almost every ride, and then lube up before the next one.

One thing I've found is that the jockey wheels collect a lot of junk - way more than my previous shimano setups, and requires active cleaning.

nx.PNG

Ok will try to do that. LBS confirmed that they have not taken the jockey wheels apart. He will probably phone up Sram to find out more

I'm in the same boat here and cringed when I saw this thread. Mine has been on for 5 months and it is still going great. That being said, I wash my drivetrain thoroughly after almost every ride, and then lube up before the next one.

One thing I've found is that the jockey wheels collect a lot of junk - way more than my previous shimano setups, and requires active cleaning.

Also clean regularly, even the pulleys. Mine is now 5 months old

Ok will try to do that. LBS confirmed that they have not taken the jockey wheels apart. He will probably phone up Sram to find out more

There seems to be an issue also where the "bush" stops turning and the the bolt unscrews itself.

So I could be wrong about the wrong install.

Hence I say upgrade the pulley to GX and use lekka locktite

Interesting, over 4000km on my XX1 RD

I've removed the pulley wheels several times for a good clean and zero issues.

serviced a few including Gx, X01 and XX1 with zero come backs and no reports of issues.

watching this with growing interest

Interesting, over 4000km on my XX1 RD

I've removed the pulley wheels several times for a good clean and zero issues.

serviced a few including Gx, X01 and XX1 with zero come backs and no reports of issues.

watching this with growing interest

I am starting to think that the NO-bearing type bush they have in NX is the problem hence the GX etc does not have this

even my Shimano Saint has a ceramic busing type guide wheel at the top, the sealed bearing is reserved for the bottom jockey wheel. I honestly don't think it is the lack of a sealed ball bearing...more the way it is all held together maybe. 

even my Shimano Saint has a ceramic busing type guide wheel at the top, the sealed bearing is reserved for the bottom jockey wheel. I honestly don't think it is the lack of a sealed ball bearing...more the way it is all held together maybe. 

Ceramic busing type  is something totally different