Makrodales - beware!

Psyrax

So was jy ook n arm gat in die 80's ?

Sure as heck could not afford "name-brands" back in the day ....

Who knows ... maybe Titan is halfway in their journey from an "entry level bike" to being a "respected brand" ....  (I am surely IMPRESSED with the quality of their kids bikes!)

and check the range of accessories and tools. They put some more established brands to shame with the quality. Their silicone bar tape is R200, half the price of others

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So was jy ook n arm gat in die 80's ?

Sure as heck could not afford "name-brands" back in the day ....

Who knows ... maybe Titan is halfway in their journey from an "entry level bike" to being a "respected brand" ....  (I am surely IMPRESSED with the quality of their kids bikes!)

Check their new road (Valerium) and gravel (Switch) options, well on point. In fact 19 year old Tiffany Keep has been dishing out some hidings in the Elite field on the road. Near podium as SA Champs and podium at CTCT.

Plus there are some new mountain bikes in the pipeline, the team is currently riding a duel sus prototype (Cypher) due to be launched soon. 

If you look at their range of accessories and apparel there are some quality items.

Check their new road (Valerium) and gravel (Switch) options, well on point. In fact 19 year old Tiffany Keep has been dishing out some hidings in the Elite field on the road. Near podium as SA Champs and podium at CTCT.

Plus there are some new mountain bikes in the pipeline, the team is currently riding a duel sus prototype (Cypher) due to be launched soon. 

If you look at their range of accessories and apparel there are some quality items.

the model seems to be a successful one.

Buy open mould frames, put your zooty brand name on it.

Sell cheap but well specced bike through sports outlet.

Grow the sales volumes and brand awareness

Move to offer more models to Local bike shops and up spec whilst maintaining budget options at sports/value store

By now you're ready to add a few layers of fibre in a speciifca orientation so you call your bike "engineered from the ground up"...

Boom you're no longer open mould and now a manufacturer.

Add accessories, basic items first.

add some flashy pants and tops.

add a Full susser...

Boom Dish you've arrived at the lower end of the respected spectrum.

You're almost in orbit now your flight path starts to flatten out. 

Reinvest profit into R&D and buy a suspension linkage design and give it a catchy name.

the model seems to be a successful one.

Buy open mould frames, put your zooty brand name on it.

Sell cheap but well specced bike through sports outlet.

Grow the sales volumes and brand awareness

Move to offer more models to Local bike shops and up spec whilst maintaining budget options at sports/value store

By now you're ready to add a few layers of fibre in a speciifca orientation so you call your bike "engineered from the ground up"...

Boom you're no longer open mould and now a manufacturer.

Add accessories, basic items first.

add some flashy pants and tops.

add a Full susser...

Boom Dish you've arrived at the lower end of the respected spectrum.

You're almost in orbit now your flight path starts to flatten out.

Reinvest profit into R&D and buy a suspension linkage design and give it a catchy name.

Thats cool and all. But its still a titan.

same was said of Giant, Specialized, Silverback to name but 3

True - but they will never please the brand sluts no matter what they do and they don't have to - enough people out there that care more about the value for money than impressing people with the sticker on their frame

True - but they will never please the brand sluts no matter what they do and they don't have to - enough people out there that care more about the value for money than impressing people with the sticker on their frame

post-7-0-41866900-1554904070_thumb.jpeg

Would still buy one... And a Silverback... Still designed locally, even though the HQ is in Germany now. 

The Calibre Bossnut (and their newer bike) comes in at a KILLER price with some very decent specs. 

Theres money to be made in MTB and only a matter of time before the bigger retail stores get involved.

The Walton family that owns Walmart have been building local trails and outdoor centres for the schools.If they get more people on bikes then its a good thing.

Bikes seem to be priced very similar to Canyon range and spec.

https://www.businessinsider.com/canyon-bicycles-united-states-bike-industry-disrupter-2017-8?IR=T and similiar business model too if going online direct.

spez - revenue estimated $500m in 2011 (privately owned so no real data)

Dorel Sports (cannondale, schwinn, mongoose, GT etc) revenue $2600m in 2017 

Trek bikes - revenue $900m est in 2013

Walmart revenue $514 000m in 2019, or about 100 times bigger than all those others combined.

If they really want to take on the bike industry, either for profit or vanity. They can.

They already have their own made in usa carbon roadbike brand

https://alliedcycleworks.com/

https://www.bikebiz.com/rapha-bought-by-bike-mad-wal-mart-heirs/

they like bikes, 

now just imagine they go and sit down with SRAM and then Shimano and ask them to tender for the exclusivity of supply.

True! But to be fair i think theres some brand slut in all of us. Some more than others. Ive admittedly got quite a bit. You see titans everywhere on the street, but you hardly find someone that takes their cycling seriously on one. Also need to accept the fact that even if you are not a brand slut, and you decide to buy a well specced titan, you will never see a fraction of what you spent when you try to resell it some day. Like these carbon titans on the hub. Theyre not selling.

True! But to be fair i think theres some brand slut in all of us. Some more than others. Ive admittedly got quite a bit. You see titans everywhere on the street, but you hardly find someone that takes their cycling seriously on one. Also need to accept the fact that even if you are not a brand slut, and you decide to buy a well specced titan, you will never see a fraction of what you spent when you try to resell it some day. Like these carbon titans on the hub. Theyre not selling.

Personally I am happy to take a knock on resale value if it means I get to ride a better bike everyday until I sell it one day in the future but yes you have to be aware of that.

Edit - to add, Nokia cured me from being a brand slut forever - for many years I didn't even look at other phone brands - guess how that turned out for me..

The carbon Titans on the hub aren't selling cos they're largely being sold for way more than they're worth. Even with the same kit as a trek / spaz etc they're still worth less due to the cost of the frames.

A guy on a Viathon draped in Rapha walks into a bar...

Yup the Waltons own Rapha too...

Archived