Wahoo kickr, climb and headwind

I do a fair amount of training on the IDT. Time and not wanting to be hit on the roads the two major factors. Current set up is a wahoo snap version 1 and a large floor fan from Makro. I’ve been itching for an upgrade and I see cyclelab has a special for the kickr 4.0, climb and headwind for 30k.

Out of interest, has anyone moved from a snap to a kickr, is it a worthwhile change? Does anyone have the climb or headwind, are they worth it or just gimmicks? Lastly, would the tacx neo 2 be a better option?

I’ve never had to deal with wahoo after sales support, but gather they’re quite good. I’m not sure if Tacx after sales is as good as wahoos is supposed to be?

Anyway, thought, comments, suggestions...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

imo, dont buy Tacx.

Rather stick with Wahoo or try Cycleops.

I think the climb and headwind are a waste a money. Rather fit an aircon in your paincave and use a nice strong fan.

Unfortunately I don't have experience with the Climb or the Headwind and I also haven't tried the Snap before getting the Kickr, but GPLama's YouTube videos helped a lot to understand what I was getting into. 

He has comprehensive reviews on all Kickrs, the Headwind and the Climb. I will definitely get a Headwind for myself in the near future. 

The fan is not really directional enough, I used to use a spare bedroom with an Aircon in my old house, new house I have a large “gym” area with a 40” TV and dedicated space for the trainer in the garage... so no Aircon but better zwift experience. As I say, I’ve had no issues with the snap, the constant calibration is a pain though.

The Shane miller reviews are great, but he does have a lot of great things to say about the tacx neo as well. Just not so sure in the SA after sales environment.

I’m torn between the “real road feel” of the tacx or the “real incline” of the climb. Or just the kickr with the headwind. First world problems

pFFFT a headwind fan for IDT what next  :eek: what can this fan do that a cheap office fan can't. Think i'm gonna use a lighter bike on my IDT, that should ramp up my FTP nicely  :ph34r:

pFFFT a headwind fan for IDT what next :eek: what can this fan do that a cheap office fan can't. Think i'm gonna use a lighter bike on my IDT, that should ramp up my FTP nicely :ph34r:

What I have been searching for is a centrifugal air blower, much higher air volume than a fan and somewhat more directional. Can’t find them in SA though. The headwind is closer to the blower than a fan. I do agree the “heart rate linked speed” of the fan is a complete load of marketing BS. But the air flow was very nice when I tried the demo thingy at cyclelab.

Ok so i have owned both the Kickr 2 and Kickr 4.

massive difference.

the Kickr 4 is far far far quieter. really its impressively quiet.

THE KICKR 4 is worth the money!

as for the gimmicks:

i have the Climb. two things worth noting: its awesome fun. on Zwift is makes for a more natural ride being able to get out of the saddle on climbs and having the bike in the right position.

that said it is not as stable as a traditional wheel holder. when climbing steep gradients and putting out decent power it can rock the kickr 4. i get around this by placing 2x 2.5kg dumbbells my wife has on the legs of the kickr.

would i buy it again? HELL YES. 

i do not have the headwind.

R5k for a fan is insane.

especially as the "features" are silly. when i am dying a death on a steep uphill i certainly do not want it emulating the 10km/h i am doing. i want it pumping flat out!

that said i have demo'd one on a stand and was impressed by the airflow.

my fan cost me R899 off takealot

the table.

i have it. i got it used for 1/3rd of new price

its brilliant. i'd rather get the table than the headwind any day of the week.

my laptop, phone, snot lappie, sweat towel all go on here.

that said R4200 is crazy for a table.

i bought the kickr climb and kickr 4 i think from bikemob on a black friday special. 

R24998 incl delivery

so for R30k for the package is seems like a decent price. 

My paincave

post-19822-0-44834400-1556111693_thumb.jpg

you'll notice the weights on the legs of the Kickr in the pic

Edited by Furbz

Thanks guys. I think the deal includes a wahoo HRM and a lappie. I think I need one more run through the test rig. I’m gathering there’s not too many people overly enthusiastic regarding tacx over wahoo though

Thanks guys. I think the deal includes a wahoo HRM and a lappie. I think I need one more run through the test rig. I’m gathering there’s not too many people overly enthusiastic regarding tacx over wahoo though

Hey Geoffois, 

Wahoo Christian here... I really hope you end up with the Wahoo set up. 

We pride ourselves in our after sales support and also have a very knowledgable team who will be happy to assist with any questions. 

You will note that we have placed experience stations i your local bike shop where you can have a closer look if needed at each part of the range. 

Cheers!

Your local Wahooligan

Hey Geoffois, 

We pride ourselves in our after sales support and also have a very knowledgable team who will be happy to assist with any questions. 

You will note that we have placed experience stations i your local bike shop where you can have a closer look if needed at each part of the range. 

Cheers!

Your local Wahooligan

didn't realise you were on here!

i've only ever had good after sales service from wahoo

Hey Geoffois,

Cheers!

Your local Wahooligan

Thanks Christian, that is very reassuring!

I'm on the Neo since 2016.  It has been an excellent experience and still is.  Until Kickr4 I had much stronger opinions as the noisy Kickr just couldn't compare.  A true high end trainer should be quieter than the bike's drivetrain, or go play in mid range (I'm looking at YOU Cycleops Hammer and Wahoo Kickr 3).

Now that Kickr4 is out, I wouldn't hesitate to go Wahoo.

The Neo 1/2 has two advantages left, being road surface simulation and no need to do a spindown ever.  It is however not Climb compatible.

I have not had the misfortune of having to deal with Cool Heat as my Neo has been perfect despite many miles between my wife and myself.  From what I've seen on the forum the Wahoo support is great locally.  Apparently Tacx support is going to be rolled up into Garmin support in the near future, so that should hopefully improve local support massively.

So if I was buying right now, I'd go Kickr.  The Climb is cool, as I ride a lot of Zwift I'd get one of those.  Leave the Headwind, it's expensive and in the way of your table - we use one we bought from a hospital supply company.

Just replying to your original post on moving from Snap to Kickr4 - it is incredible.  Once you go direct drive you will never go back.

What I have been searching for is a centrifugal air blower, much higher air volume than a fan and somewhat more directional. Can’t find them in SA though. The headwind is closer to the blower than a fan. I do agree the “heart rate linked speed” of the fan is a complete load of marketing BS. But the air flow was very nice when I tried the demo thingy at cyclelab.

Then you need to be looking for an industrial fan - Google "Workshop Portable fans"

Then you need to be looking for an industrial fan - Google "Workshop Portable fans"

All that I can find is the good old axial fans. The centrifugal fans seem to only come in large mine ventilation versions... perhaps a bit strong for my delicate needs!