Indoor trainer or spinning bike

Natie S

Hi everyone

Another question i have for the guys that have used the classic/dumb trainers before. How hard are these trainers on your tires if you use a mtb bike? A friend just told me that he used one for 45 minutes on his road bike and his tyre was worn out. Is that possible and the case of all classic/dumb trainers?

it certainly wears your tyre quicker, but if his tyre was worn out after 45 minutes something else was wrong.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone

Another question i have for the guys that have used the classic/dumb trainers before. How hard are these trainers on your tires if you use a mtb bike? A friend just told me that he used one for 45 minutes on his road bike and his tyre was worn out. Is that possible and the case of all classic/dumb trainers?

Pretty sure that you will get different wear rates on different tyres. Find out from your friend which tyre it was and which trainer. 45 mins means that something was seriously wrong.

I got 2 years on a normal gatorskin road tyre which came with the cheap 2nd hand wheel I bought, and the tyre was already seriously worn when I started using it.

I am now on a Continental Trainer Tyre for 6 months and I see absolutely no wear at all.

My IDT(IndoorTrainer for short) has a rubber lining on the drum which the tyre makes contact with, I think these might wear tyres down slower than other, but that is pure speculation.

Your usage of the trainer will also impact how quickly it wears out. Running it in highest resistance and doing sprints will surely wear it out quicker compared to doing steady state endurance sessions.

Pretty sure that you will get different wear rates on different tyres. Find out from your friend which tyre it was and which trainer. 45 mins means that something was seriously wrong.

I got 2 years on a normal gatorskin road tyre which came with the cheap 2nd hand wheel I bought, and the tyre was already seriously worn when I started using it.

I am now on a Continental Trainer Tyre for 6 months and I see absolutely no wear at all.

My IDT(IndoorTrainer for short) has a rubber lining on the drum which the tyre makes contact with, I think these might wear tyres down slower than other, but that is pure speculation.

Your usage of the trainer will also impact how quickly it wears out. Running it in highest resistance and doing sprints will surely wear it out quicker compared to doing steady state endurance sessions.

It also didn’t make sense to me. Thanks for your help.

I do a lot of IDTing so here my budget setup

TACX Flow Electro Magnetic trainer like this

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/356931-tacx-flow-in-great-condition/

Gen 2 Ipad - you can get them cheap cheap

Ant+ 30 pin dongle

GARMIN speed Cad sensor from my edge 520

GARMIN HR strap from my edge 520

TACX tablet handle bar mount.

TACX Blue trainer tyre on a cheap spare road wheel

I signed up with Trainer Road = 99 USD per year.

I use Spotify free version with a collection of kick ass music through headphones to keep me in the zone

I use the virtual power with Trainer Road so no need for a power meter.

Works perfect.

One day when i'm big i'll get a smart trainer  :ph34r:  

IMHO, not easy to get hold of at LBS. 

Good morning everyone

So i found this special. What do you guys think of it to start off with? I know i can save a few randelas if i buy second hand but then I don’t have a warranty and back up service.

a752ce8aefa6e2e046e040fe8912bf58.jpg

Good morning everyone

So i found this special. What do you guys think of it to start off with? I know i can save a few randelas if i buy second hand but then I don’t have a warranty and back up service.

a752ce8aefa6e2e046e040fe8912bf58.jpg

Nothing wrong with it, it is just very basic. It won't give you the power reading or speed readings, you would still need to buy a sensor to be able to use it. You can buy something like that for R600 in the classifieds. But if you are happy to spend a little bit more to rather have something new then that unit will work fine.

A mate just brought his marvel t1 to me and said i can get it for R500. But my tyre is running on the floor. Is it not compatible with a normal 29” mtb tyre?

So i also emailed cyclelab and they replied that if i buy the blue matic IDT i must get a training tyre with it or it will not work. Now thats a bummer. I read on other places that a 29” mtb will fit on it straight away.

Think its time i take my old school bike out and use it as a trainer on the IDT until i get the training tyre for my 29er.

A mate just brought his marvel t1 to me and said i can get it for R500. But my tyre is running on the floor. Is it not compatible with a normal 29” mtb tyre?

So i also emailed cyclelab and they replied that if i buy the blue matic IDT i must get a training tyre with it or it will not work. Now thats a bummer. I read on other places that a 29” mtb will fit on it straight away.

Think its time i take my old school bike out and use it as a trainer on the IDT until i get the training tyre for my 29er.

That is a great move getting the IDT from a mate.

Your old school bicycle on the IDT can be very beneficial because then you are not wearing out your MTB chain etc on the IDT. See if you can't make this your permanent setup, as then you also don't need to swap out the MTB every time you want to go out on the trails.

That is a great move getting the IDT from a mate.

Your old school bicycle on the IDT can be very beneficial because then you are not wearing out your MTB chain etc on the IDT. See if you can't make this your permanent setup, as then you also don't need to swap out the MTB every time you want to go out on the trails.

Yes sounds like what im going to do for now. Will it be a problem if my trainer is a medium frame and my trail bike a large?

So today I took the old 26er out. Let me think of all the great kilos ive done on it and some awesome crashes too! Anyway today was the first time in many years i patched a tube. Man i love tubeless tires.

So I mounted the bike and set the resistance. Man I didn’t think that an idt could make so much noise. Now i now why guys are put off by them.

Can it be because it’s a cheap trainer and the tacx blue matic will be softer as i heard in YouTube videos?

Will a training tyre be a bit softer?

So today I took the old 26er out. Let me think of all the great kilos ive done on it and some awesome crashes too! Anyway today was the first time in many years i patched a tube. Man i love tubeless tires.

So I mounted the bike and set the resistance. Man I didn’t think that an idt could make so much noise. Now i now why guys are put off by them.

Can it be because it’s a cheap trainer and the tacx blue matic will be softer as i heard in YouTube videos?

At least get a slick

I would rather have a R3000 spinning bike, no mission of  taking your bike on and off the wind trainer and no wear on the rear tyre. As for R25000 trainers, rather go and ride.

• 4 months later...

Anyone considered an Assault Air Bike?

Yeah they go for around 15k which puts it in the bracket with some of your high end smart trainers, but is it an option?

It will make more noise, but in terms of getting fit? Is it a better option then a smart trainer?

Or are they completely different and can’t be compared?

Yes sounds like what im going to do for now. Will it be a problem if my trainer is a medium frame and my trail bike a large?

Not really, as long as they both "fit" you correctly.

Before I bought a wahoo I used a "dumb" trainer on a mountain bike with knobblies and all. It was dedicated to being on the trainer so never took it off. The only two downsides where the noise from knobblies is loud and the little black bits everywhere after the ride. I had to get a new tyre every 2 or so years.

Anyone considered an Assault Air Bike?

Yeah they go for around 15k which puts it in the bracket with some of your high end smart trainers, but is it an option?

It will make more noise, but in terms of getting fit? Is it a better option then a smart trainer?

Or are they completely different and can’t be compared?

Totally different use-case in my opinion.

Assault Bike is great if you want to push all-round fitness in a Crossfit kind of way. It works the legs and arms.

But if you want to get better at cycling, you need to cycle more. Smart trainers like Kickrs and Kickr Snaps are really good in executing the training load as prescribed in training plans via various tools including Online training platforms and even some of your cycling head units.

The Assault Bike is built and priced for a gym and subsequently a portion of the cost is there because it needs to survive 20 people using it a day, every day. The feature list is very small.

Two totally different kettle of fish. 

Get slicks on the 26er, knobblies makes a massive noise on any trainer, except on a direct drive that is  :whistling:, there you don't even need a tjoep  :D