Trainer or groupset

W@nted

I would: from what you mentioned about the group set age I take it the bike is more or less the same age? 

So my opinion would be to get a cheaper trainer than the Kickr and use the remaining funds towards a new bike and then put the old bike onto the cheaper trainer on a more permanent basis rather than having only one bike for both indoor and outdoor riding  :whistling: .

Sufferfest is cheaper than Zwift on a monthly basis

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like consensus is buying a trainer for the long term benefit

Try to buy a direct drive trainer. I have both, the direct drive (Kickr 3) and a wheel-on trainer (Tacx Bushido). The feel on the wheel-on trainer is horrible.

Edited by riteshm

Hi

So I would like to hear some opinions on what item to blow some money on later this year.

My situation: Building fitness and racing mtb and road. Want to get competitive in the VA bunch. So my current race bike has a 10 speed Campag groupset on. Mixture of record and chorus. Shifting is not as crisp anymore, as the group is more than 10 years old.

I am itching to buy a 11 speed ultegra R8000 groupset, which looks and shifts great. This is option 1.

During the winter I spend time on the local gym’s wattbike to build fitness. But I have gained interest in this whole zwift thing... That said, option 2 is buying a wahoo kickr core and joining zwift and keeping my word existing groupset.

Advice?

Firstly - Never and i say never change a groupset from Campy to Shitmano - Your ergo's simply need a service with new indexing gear and springs, will work like new - You see with Campy you are able to do that.

Secondly - A 11spd gruppo not gonna make you faster, a trainer on the other hand will turn you into a machine.

Trainer.

Get the cables and housings inspected. Get a reputable bike shops to give you an honest assessment. I bought the CORE just a few weeks ago, it's kicking my arse, but I'm hoping it will bring serious fitness. 

I'm not a ZWIFT user, currently using TrainerRoad, maybe thinking of trying Sufferfest.  

Zwift has a few aspects:

1. "Gaming" aspect keeps the "just ride" or recovery workouts interesting (lots of carrots to chase)

The number of people that I know that say, “I’m doing a recovery ride”, yet they get KOMs/PBs on Strava... the hard rides aren’t hard enough and the easy rides aren’t easy enough.

For the OP, get the trainer. I’ve used to race VA and VB since 2008, on a 2007 bike and was able to keep up - due to training, not a new groupset. For the record, now I’m just a fun rider with a trainer - that I can keep fit on.

There is some exciting things coming on the virtual platform that might be up there with zwift. Have a look at Veleton indoor cycling.

Edited by Zatek

Forgot to mention. Even Zwift has bought shares in the company Virtupro that makes the bikes for Veleton. Same company

So I managed to connect the gym wattbike to zwift. Worked well, but there is no wifi available. So I ended up switching off mobile data on my phone and reconnecting only when uploading the workout. Will try this technique as all the zwift workouts can be done this way. Races will use about 100mb per hour of data though. And off course I need to manually adjust resistance on the wattbike to simulate climbs/decends.

So maybe this way I can build fitness and buy a groupset????