Drive Train Issue

JJDT

My chain broke on Nissan Trailseeker and at home inspected the chain. Measured the chain and saw that it is due for replacement anyway.

Bought a new chain and fitted it quickly last night, now the issue is on the work stand it sounds smooth shitfs easily tkrough the gears. As a final test just went on to the road quickly to test. Although the shifting is fine I keep on hearing the noise that the gears are not properly aligned. Back to the stand and everything is smooth and quiet, can pedal backwards and is smooth with no sign that the chain is not properly aligned. It seems that if there is load on the drive train the noise is there as well.

Setup is 1x10.

The casette is just over a year old and the front chainring about 2 years. Could this be a sign that the front chainring has reached end of life?

Attached is a pic of the casette and chainring.

post-13049-0-01404600-1557817310_thumb.jpg

post-13049-0-70272100-1557817337_thumb.jpg

I have had a similar issue, replaced the chainring and problem solved. The chain, cassette and chainring "marry" in that the three components wear over time and when you replace the chain this is now not the same wear pattern as the other two components - hence why when on the bike stand all is good, but the minute the drivetrain is under load it then makes that horrible sound. I am pretty convinced that if you replace the chainring you issue should be sorted - sounds like a good opportunity to upgrade and go 1x12 :whistling:

Good idea to change the cassette and front chainring

The old chain was stretched and wore teeth on the pull surface 

no the new chain is shorter and when you apply pressure it cant reach the pull surface on the ring thus grinding noise.

I had the same issue and at first changed the chain and the noise persisted under load so changed chain ring and the problem was solved . I kept the cassette on and its not given me problem so no need to change the whole drive chain set as some LBS suggest ..Mine had done  over 8000 km  when the problem started . 

serviced a friends bike once, also grinding noise as soon as pressure was applied, turned out to be badly worn freehub bearings, got some play on the cassette, pulling the freehub forward when pedaling... making a noise as the bearings was rusty and miss aligning the cassette to run on an angle. made the chain rub agains other gears on the cassette...talking about millimeters here

if you carry on your chain will stretch in no time , change front and rear . From the pics the front ring is beyond and some on the cassette aswell

I'd put money on a worn chainring.

In this case I agree, cassette looks fine. Normally 2-3 chains at just over 75% wear=1 cassette. This chainring looks toasted though