[Event] Yzerfontein Cycle Experience 2019

iloveyzer

Event Name: Yzerfontein Cycle Experience 2019
When: 9 June 2019
Where: Main Beach, Yzerfontein, Western Cape
Category: MTB

It’s Back! The Yzerfontein Cycle Experience, voted as the best new event on Pedal Power Africa’s calendar for 2016 returns to our backyard for the 4th year in Yzerfontein on Sunday, 9 June 2019. Don’t miss the opportunity to ride in this truly wonderful event.

As with the past years, the cycle event will be complimented by an array of local stalls and entertainers, bringing a festival – like atmosphere to the town of Yzerfontein.

Feedback from the race over the past years, was incredibly positive, with the competitors enjoying the flat, fast, non-technical route. The veteran cyclists enjoyed the fast 78km training ride, and the less experienced, and more relaxed bunch took advantage of the 52km route, both routes being unique in that they are not open to the public, and run through the beautiful West Coast National Park.

Starting from the main beach parking area in Yzerfontein, the competitors will wind their way out of the town, onto the R315, and will turn off onto the Blombosch road which will take them into the West Coast National Park. The Park Manager Pierre Nel, has generously approved a route which takes the cyclists on private jeep tracks through the splendid nature which the West Coast has to offer. On the return route there is a mixture of tar and jeep track which leads back to the finish line at the main beach, where competitors will receive a medal, a Coca Cola, and a Goodie Bag from Premier.

Re-committing their support again is Premier FMCG’s brand Blue Ribbon. Gauteng Based Premier FMCG (Pty) Limited was founded over 195 years ago, and its operation and distribution facilities run throughout South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland and Mozambique. Premier FMCG also operate a home and personal care business in the United Kingdom. Today Premier markets iconic South African brands such as Snowflake, Blue Ribbon, BB Bakeries, Star, Mister Bread, Impala, Iwisa, Super Sun, Nyala, Invicta, Manhattan and Super C, Lil-Lets, Vulco and Dove Cotton Wool.

Premier FMCG adds “We are honoured to support such a remarkable initiative. This is not just any race, we are uplifting the Yzerfontein community, and proceeds will benefit the International Police Forum, The Jenna Lowe Trust and The Reach for a Dream Foundation. All three beneficiaries will be available on the day to talk to interested parties about the organisations and the work they do. Our value is growing our people, customers and brands therefore our partnership with the Yzerfontein Cycle Experience supports our ethos of Growing Together.

Pierre Nel, the West Coast National Park Manager has opened his arms to all participants with the following statement “West Coast National Park extends a warm welcome to all participants in the Blue Ribbon Yzerfontein Cycle Experience Race. We are honoured that the organizers of this event have selected the West Coast National Park as part of this race”.

The park is popular among cyclists and currently the Lagoon Challenge Cycle Race, which will be hosted in November, is the only other cycle event in the park. This Blue Ribbon event thus adds a new dimension to cycling in the park as it offers riders an alternative route from that of the Lagoon Challenge. We are proud to be associated with Blue Ribbon Yzerfontein Cycle Experience in the organizing and hosting of this event. I encourage entrants to enjoy the race and the splendour which West Coast National Park has to offer.”

This year the event also offers a 5km and 10km fun run. Entrants will get the opportunity to run along the Yzerfontein coastline. There will be medals for all finishers. Entry will be on the PPA website. Come along, and walk or run the distances and join in the fun.

The event is sanctioned by the Pedal Power Organisation. As such, cyclists can be assured that route markings and safety arrangements adhere to the Association’s requirements.

Registration

Cyclists will be able to enter the event on the Association’s website: www.pedalpower.org.za

Online entries will close on Thursday, 6 June 2019. You may enter on Sat/Sun during registration times.

Saturday, 8 June at the Yzerfontein Community Hall, 16:00 – 20:00

Sunday, 9 June at the Yzerfontein Community Hall from 05:30.

Go to Event Page

gravel bike looks like the right tool for the job here

I did this race in 2017 on my gravel bike and the first piece of jeep track was very hard on the hands. Not sure if the surface has been improved. Otherwise it was a perfect ride with the gravel bike.

• 4 weeks later...

My first time, battling the wind, still worth it. 

snip

wind was n teef, but was definitely worth while doing this just for the views. Will do it again.

wind was n teef, but was definitely worth while doing this just for the views. Will do it again.

What views? I saw one little rabbit run across the track in front of me, otherwise was flat out and no time to look at anything! Never done such a fast MTB race. Thats me in the Hermanus Pharmacies kit in one of the pics above.

I was in a group of riders approaching that and saw you had to wait for them. When we were a couple of meters away you started riding again - but I did see it, awesome stuff. 

Edited by Rouxenator

Two things I wonder about

1) Was there an e-bike category? I got overtaken by 2.

2) Where is "the line" you keep on rutted downhills. Last time I checked we don't "hold the line" - roadies do that. 

Yes, e-bikes were allowed. They had a separate start (last, of course).

Had to chuckle at the face of somebody working hard up the climb towards the Atlantic viewpoint when two young ladies – chatting leisurely – sailed past effortlessly on their battery bikes.  :w00t: