Shimano XT Deore brake problems

mnr fly

As an bicycle technician I've encountered quite a lot of problems with the shimano XT Deore brake sets these last couple of months, whether its brake levers/pistons collapsing, loosing pressure or even seizing up. I have however found that overhauling the brakes makes a difference and there are kits available if need be.

is this only me or are there other ppl out there with the same problem?.

As an bicycle technician I've encountered quite a lot of problems with the shimano XT Deore brake sets these last couple of months, whether its brake levers/pistons collapsing, loosing pressure or even seizing up. I have however found that overhauling the brakes makes a difference and there are kits available if need be.

is this only me or are there other ppl out there with the same problem?.

Best news ever , where do we get ?

I have also had problems - basically the cylinder (in lever section) does not return fast enough and results in brake pads not releasing properly (or brake 'lock').

Just need to open it up and clean the cylinder. I think there might be a thread on the hub somewhere on this.

If you have a different problem - let us know, so we can also check on next bleed/cleaning cycle.

thanks

I have also had problems - basically the cylinder (in lever section) does not return fast enough and results in brake pads not releasing properly (or brake 'lock').

Just need to open it up and clean the cylinder. I think there might be a thread on the hub somewhere on this.

If you have a different problem - let us know, so we can also check on next bleed/cleaning cycle.

th

I have come to a point of actual buying a mone tool 10mm offshore.. this helps with the overhaul of the cylinder and using just a tiny bit of cilicone grease on the piston itself.. carefull of over mone the cyclinder!  

Best news ever , where do we get ?

E-Bay baby!! Got stock of all the seals and on top of it all instead of the original plastic piston the do aluminium... takes a while to land but woth the money about 22$ for the piston 13$ for seals. compatable with 

Bl-M9000

E-Bay baby!! Got stock of all the seals and on top of it all instead of the original plastic piston the do aluminium... takes a while to land but woth the money about 22$ for the piston 13$ for seals. compatable with 

Bl-M9000

lekker thanks

please share a link or some images with us, it would help allot of people 

I have not had problems with the Deore XT other than the disks that came with it which caused some endless problems with noise.  I have in almost 4 years only bled the brakes once and in my recent enquiry about my disk problem learnt here on the Hub that I should clean the pistons as well which I did.  But at the end wrt the disk problem I just upgraded to the Shimano Icetech disks and also the Icetech brake pads and all is sorted now.

I have not had problems with the Deore XT other than the disks that came with it which caused some endless problems with noise.  I have in almost 4 years only bled the brakes once and in my recent enquiry about my disk problem learnt here on the Hub that I should clean the pistons as well which I did.  But at the end wrt the disk problem I just upgraded to the Shimano Icetech disks and also the Icetech brake pads and all is sorted now.

You obviously riding with the old ones. we talking new age bro. also if you hadn't been bleeding in last 4years then i got news for you those brakes are dead inside. strongs.... 

You obviously riding with the old ones. we talking new age bro. also if you hadn't been bleeding in last 4years then i got news for you those brakes are dead inside. strongs.... 

They have been bled in the mean time and as I said, all sorted now.  Works 100%

I'm no bike mechanic but I'd suggest bleed brakes 1 every season or 4 times a year.

The issue is not isolated to xt brakes sram brakes the same thing

I feel like the m785 are the most overrated brakes ever. Every set ive felt just felt like crap. Same problems you describe. Levers just feels dead. The 8000 i tried was quite a bit better though. But definitely prefer the modulation on sram brakes but it seems like that's quite an unpopular opinion.

I'm no bike mechanic but I'd suggest bleed brakes 1 every season or 4 times a year.

The issue is not isolated to xt brakes sram brakes the same thing

From what I have learnt in the mean time is that the concensus is at least once a year.  

I have come to a point of actual buying a mone tool 10mm offshore.. this helps with the overhaul of the cylinder and using just a tiny bit of cilicone grease on the piston itself.. carefull of over mone the cyclinder!  

mone?

don't you mean hone?

I feel like the m785 are the most overrated brakes ever. Every set ive felt just felt like crap. Same problems you describe. Levers just feels dead. The 8000 i tried was quite a bit better though. But definitely prefer the modulation on sram brakes but it seems like that's quite an unpopular opinion.

I thought the same, until I recently bought Shimano Zee brakes. I'm chucking my Guide RSCs now and replacing all bikes with Zee