Spur Schools MTB League

ChrisF

Coming down Homerun, Maritz was following a rider when this happened :

post-110956-0-94350300-1564901993_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-35989800-1564902049_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-23941300-1564902064_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-52983300-1564902081_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-06578500-1564902100_thumb.jpg

Following the other riders, Maritz was only doing 12,5km/h before the incident, and managed to scrub off enough speed that he did not fall onto the other rider. 

But his leg got caught between the two bikes, and an adult stepped in to help them up.

THANK YOU !!!

If anybody knows the gent that helped, please pass on my thanks.  

Classic racing incident, just GLAD both kids are fine.

Edited by ChrisF

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do recall reading about the GoPro rule .... It is NOT on the SPUR website (just checked again).  Also not in the registration email.  Think I saw it in the email they send to the "school co-ordinators".

You might have to dig a little deeper for all the rules.

Spur rules are governed by the SACA, based on CSA MTB and UCI rules, adapted for High School MTB. :eek:  (Lets just say, its covered somewhere!)

The GoPro rule is quite an old UCI rule and was implemented in around 2012 if I remember correctly.

At the time UCI specifically banned helmet mounted GoPro's, stating personal safety.

In an event of a crash, the GoPro might hinder the movement of your head.  The GoPro might get stuck and you wont be able to "roll-over" your head, meaning far more severe injuries like a broken neck etc.

Made sense to me, I never mounted it on my helmet again thereafter and got all the other mounts.

Jip, surely was "chaotic" start to the event .... 

EDIT - spoke to one of the schools coaches last night .... the series grown to the point where they are overlapping the races as we saw, and yet the events only wrapped up just before 18:00 !!  :eek:   So as much as their is room for improvement, BIG THANKS to the team putting it all together !!  :clap:

I do recall reading about the GoPro rule .... It is NOT on the SPUR website (just checked again).  Also not in the registration email.  Think I saw it in the email they send to the "school co-ordinators".

I left there at 16:45 and it was all done and dusted. Maybe the exhibitors and vendors only got out at after 6pm, but the day's activities were wrapped at a couple of minutes before I left. 

Henk has answered and provided links to the GoPro topic: yes, it is not allowed under sanctioning rules. 

907 kids entered for yesterday's event at Bloemendal - beating the previous record of 850 set at the first WC round this year. There were 5 events in 5 provinces yesterday, which saw close to 2,000 kids on bikes - GREAT GREAT GREAT for the future of SA Cycling.

Thank you Tankman

I knew I read it somewhere before the Somerset West event .... The Garmin130 takes the space where we previously fitted the GoPro, and was going to use a chest mount.

Had to make a weird rig to fit the GoPro .... GLAD I did.  So good to see what is happening out there, where has he improved, and what we can work on next ....

Also the perfect way to include the whole family in what he is doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Best wishes to all participants in Worcester today.

Seems we may have "slightly better" weather than last year ...  :clap:   :whistling:

It "felt" like a lot less kids than Bloemendal .....

But the sub-nipper boys were only  down from 105 to 88 participants.  The wide start DID help.

Certainly the most difficult track of the year for the newbie riders .... lots of walking up short sharp hills ....

This event certainly was managed superbly !!!

From the email earlier in the week, to the line up gates and tapes in place in time ....

And those that attended 2018 certainly ENJOYED the absolutely PERFECT weather we had today  :clap:   :clap:

BIG, big thanks to Montana High school and all their staff that helped to make this a PERFECT day.  :thumbup:

By far the best organized of the series so far.

Much tougher track than the others as well. My son was strangely flat today but my daughter was strong.

By far the best organized of the series so far.

Much tougher track than the others as well. My son was strangely flat today but my daughter was strong.

JIP, this is thee most challenging course of the year.... probably comparable to B-Spot .....

Which is perfectly fine for 99% of the riders !!

but bound to cause "issues" when a 100 riders bid for the same spots ...  :w00t:   :wacko:   GOOD training for future races !!

THIS is what it looks like for an 8 year old (full un-edited view of what the kids experience..).  Maritz started at the back, and made up some 20 spots on lap 1.  Lap 2 he had some space, still got stuck at a few spots .... but thats the game ...

My son used to hate the Montana track. Said he did not like those little up and down bumps, and then for measure the wind used to be hectic, and it made the conditions dusty and unpleasant.

Edited by Moridin