Spur Schools MTB League

ChrisF

Saturday 8 June 2019 the Somerset West leg of the SPUR schools series was held in the Western Cape.

Rain over night saw a few parents stay at home.  But the rain stopped shortly before registration started, and it turned into a SPLENDID day !!

New staff arranging the events in the Cape saw a few changes.  The race board is now valid for the YEAR, so no more lining up to get a board at the next event.  :thumbup:   :clap:

As always many of the schools put up gazebos and get a party atmosphere going.  One of the schools even had singing going before the start of the event.  NICE vibe !!  Even the very little ones wanted to get in on the action ...

post-110956-0-05617900-1560104079_thumb.jpg

While other teachers are marking exam papers, the cycling coaches were in full attendance and made sure all their kids got their numbers and school cycling kit.

post-110956-0-42744100-1560104044_thumb.jpg

Mr Sadie of Kenridge Primary School with a couple of his students, while the 9 and 10 years were having their race.  They are clawing back to the number one position they held a few years back ....

post-110956-0-67524800-1560104142_thumb.jpg

There are various non-profit organisations that go to great lengths to introduce kids to this wonderful sport 

post-110956-0-91807600-1560104210_thumb.jpg

Off course none of this would be possible without the stunning partnership from SPUR 

post-110956-0-01616500-1560104358_thumb.jpg

Let's not forget the contribution from ANATOMIC

post-110956-0-86729500-1560104271_thumb.jpg

BIG thanks to those that work so hard to keep this track in good condition !!  :clap:   :clap:

The practice rounds were BIG fun for the kids ....  But then it was time for the first group to line up

post-110956-0-49106300-1560104455_thumb.jpg

After what felt like an eternity the 2019 series started

post-110956-0-82262400-1560104475_thumb.jpg

LOTS of energy and excitement ....

post-110956-0-95703100-1560104528_thumb.jpg

The first hill quickly sorted the pack ....

post-110956-0-85209200-1560104565_thumb.jpg

Once the field spread out a bit a few of the kids used the opportunity to stretch their legs

post-110956-0-22848600-1560104613_thumb.jpg

At the end it was seconds between the "young racers" ... 

post-110956-0-99507900-1560104671_thumb.jpg

Just look at the face ...  :clap:   They ENJOYED it !!

post-110956-0-83565400-1560104723_thumb.jpg

Here is a short video of the sub-nippers boys race (aged 7 and 8) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwBOz8dBKQI&t=7s

Would love to hear how your day went, and to see your photos

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my dog for a walk and spent about an hour at the track.

Man schools racing and this event in particular warms the cockles of my heart.

My kids son (8) and daughter (10) had an absolute blast.  They were  among the first ever team to represent CBC.  Cant wait for Bloemendal.

Nice video Chris.

Edited by Sbloomer

My kids son (8) and daughter (10) had an absolute blast.  They were  among the first ever team to represent CBC.  Cant wait for Bloemendal.

Nice video Chris.

Small kids representing a beer brewery - no sure that is appropriate..?  :whistling:

Here is a short video of the sub-nippers boys race (aged 7 and 8) 

Would love to hear how your day went, and to see your photos

Nice video! Lekker to see it from the cyclist's perspective

Just one comment re the sub-nippers, I know some kids take this kind of thing in their stride but for many it must have been quite an intimidating experience with the crowds, 100's of cyclists (most of them older & bigger) and in our case first time doing a cycle event without a parent alongside them. Know it is a cliche but I think those little buggers were very brave and did really well  :thumbup: Well done to all of them.

Nice video! Lekker to see it from the cyclist's perspective

Just one comment re the sub-nippers, I know some kids take this kind of thing in their stride but for many it must have been quite an intimidating experience with the crowds, 100's of cyclists (most of them older & bigger) and in our case first time doing a cycle event without a parent alongside them. Know it is a cliche but I think those little buggers were very brave and did really well  :thumbup: Well done to all of them.

YES !!

heading off into the pack at age 7 must be a lot to deal with for these kids !  Last year Maritz started at the BACK, as in 5m behind the last kids ... waiting for the field to get moving, just riding the MTB trail, staying way clear of the other riders.

This year he tried to start mid-pack, and promptly got knocked over .... so glad that he just got back up and carried on (was it not for the video I would not even have known of this)

Kudos to all the parents lining the route.  A couple of kids did fall, and "other" parents stepped in to calm the nerves and to get these kids going again.

Edited by ChrisF

Small kids representing a beer brewery - no sure that is appropriate..?  :whistling:

AFAIK CBC is a school, stands for City Bum Cleaners

Not sure if you're taking the piss.

Christian Brothers College St Johns.

@ChrisF, where does one find the results?  

This is the first year for Gauteng Primary Schools and what a blast the kids are having.

Numbers are already close to 200 and that was slap in the middle of exams.

The Split focus between skills and racing is also working for the kids.

Edited by Rolling Stone

This is the first year for Gauteng Primary Schools and what a blast the kids are having.

Numbers are already close to 200 and that was slap in the middle of exams.

The Split focus between skills and racing is also working for the kids.

In the Western Cape the "split" is as follows -

PRIMARY school kids register and practice from 8:00 to 9:00.  Then the different age groups have their rides.

Lunch time the high school kids register and practice.  Then they ride in their age groups.

This works very well to keep the skill levels separate.  Granted some of the older primary school kids start jumping ... though they do stay clear of the little ones.  The high school kids are impressive to say the least !!

I wish there was a similar kind of event for road cycling - if you want your kid to cycle the only option seems to be mtb - roadies certainly missing a trick here

First time in 5 years that I am not part of the scenery at each race. Sadly. Will miss it. Was hoping that my other son and daughter would take up the baton for the family, but sadly they have no interest in 2 wheels.

Great thanks!!

Congrats.  Your school got some good points on the bord !

Maritz was the only one from his school to race ... so just 1 point on the bord.  His buddy was in bed with the flu ..... Hoping to have more entrants for the next one.