Ironman 2020 African Championships Port Elizabeth

Craai

Jip 2 long weekends ahead the coming down. Had a 130 bike and 15 run. Weather gods said now wind but when we reached windmeul we were almost blown off our bikes.. Or are they telling us something?? mmmmm . Weekend coming is a 180 ride saturday and 24 run sunday. Tired AF. But forward we must go.. I must get some openwater swims in in the next week or 2.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jip 2 long weekends ahead the coming down. Had a 130 bike and 15 run. Weather gods said now wind but when we reached windmeul we were almost blown off our bikes.. Or are they telling us something?? mmmmm . Weekend coming is a 180 ride saturday and 24 run sunday. Tired AF. But forward we must go.. I must get some openwater swims in in the next week or 2.

Where do you do your open water swims? I've done Kalk Bay Harbour.

I have a 3.2km swim on Saturday and a 160km ride and 22km run on Sunday. 

Either Clifton 1 soms or phisantekraal dam ( Durbanville) on sat afternoons.  Following the other thread ( RE coronavirus ) and Cape epic and Ironman .. Do you think an cancelation  can be on the cards?

Either Clifton 1 soms or phisantekraal dam ( Durbanville) on sat afternoons.  Following the other thread ( RE coronavirus ) and Cape epic and Ironman .. Do you think an cancelation  can be on the cards?

Err say what?? 

Has anything being said? Hopefully it's not cancelled but postponed... I'm in no position to be dontating that kind of entry fee! 

• 2 weeks later...

With the Ironman African Championship and Splash Festival just around the corner, Nelson Mandela Bay is turning to the national health department — in the face of the global coronavirus crisis — for guidance on how to deal with these major events.

This as the Covid-19 virus is also set to scupper the Isuzu Southern Kings’ next away match against Italian side Zebre.

https://www.pressreader.com/south-africa/the-herald-south-africa/20200311/281487868411022

Oh no...... i can see this happening... 

I know it is far out , my friend send me accuweathers forecast for the day. Actually 4 days before and after IM... 60km/h winds.......... 

Oh no...... i can see this happening... 

I know it is far out , my friend send me accuweathers forecast for the day. Actually 4 days before and after IM... 60km/h winds.......... 

Some things cannot be controlled. Just accept that. 

In spite of all predictions I have never had a terrible PE IM event weather wise. 

Some things cannot be controlled. Just accept that. 

In spite of all predictions I have never had a terrible PE IM event weather wise. 

True, 

Last year we almost blew away on the bikes... heheheh that sucked

Another 6 cases just confirmed in SA. 

Good day all, I am attempting my first IM this year and have 2 questions:

1. What does one put in your special needs bags (both run and bike)

2. How is the visibility when on the run at night? Should I have a head light or just suck it up?

Thanks.

Good day all, I am attempting my first IM this year and have 2 questions:

1. What does one put in your special needs bags (both run and bike)

2. How is the visibility when on the run at night? Should I have a head light or just suck it up?

Thanks.

No need for a headlight. The streets are lit anyway. They will hand out lil straw lights to put around yr neck so u can be seen. Worry not bout lighting.

As to bags. In my bike bag I usually put a spare tube an bomb an a gel. I have never stopped to collect it though as have never had a puncture. In my run bag I always put a long sleeve t shirt an a chocolate. Have collected my run bag as it sometimes gets a bit chilly.

Just remember whatever you put in the bag if you do not collect it you lose it. So no valuables etc.

Apparently, (not confirmed) the IM management having a meeting with Dept, of Health today to determine whether the event will take place.

I am sure those that have entered, will be advised as soon as a decision is made.

Holding thumbs that it goes ahead for all those who have trained so hard!!!

We'll be there to support, loud shouting, but sadly no High Fives this year!!!!!