Ironman 2020 African Championships Port Elizabeth

Craai

ChrisF thinks durbs also moved to end of year, that is hearsay for now

Lets hope the virus has run its course by then ... or more probably, that a treatment regime is in place sooner rather than later ...

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big picture ... sure, these things happen. And yes, in a day or two people will get past this news, and set new goals.

But if you spent four years of ironman level training chasing a goal ... it must hurt, even more so if November is not an option.

best wishes to each of you dealing with this.

Four years of training for a one day event?!

https://youtu.be/QGax29XITvw

Yebo yes .... SCARY the dedication some of these athletes put into this !!

This lady was the typical "generally fit" person, supporting her husband in his competitions.  Driving the back-up vehicle, etc.  Then one year she got talked into joining him for the Trans Baviaans, as a rider not back-up driver.  They won the couples race.

She then set her goals on the Ironman.  Training for two years before doing her event in 2018.  Swimming was a totally new sport to her, and took some serious training.  2019 she did Trans Gariep (one of the few to actually finish this event), half Ironman and a handfull of other events.  Her goal being to peak for the 2020 Ironman.  The ultimate goal being to take part in a European Ironman in 2022 ... she had already started doing the Zwift training on the European track ... 

She only does the full event every second year as the training regime is simply to intense, taking a toll on family and work.  It is simply crazy to see the dedication it takes to do this properly.

O-well, these athletes WILL bounce back !!  Give them a bit of space to deal with the dissapointment, and in a few days they will set new goals .....  Sadly for those over 50 there are not that many opportunities left to do such ultra-events, not at competative times ....

snip

id go as far to say it might be considered an insult to the olympians who actually really spent that amount of time or more building up and prepping for the olympics (no offence directed at you ChrisF)....which might also get cancelled. no THAT, is some real hurt....because for some of those people, it might be their only chance if you consider some of their back stories and circumstances thay overcame to make it to the olympics.

bat alas. what do i know...i'm not an olympian and i have been clinically diagnosed on a bicycle forum to lack the ability to feel empathy and am therfor a psychopath :P  :lol: 

Edited by morneS555

Morne just possibly it is easier for professional athletes ... the training part.

Doing a full day job, and 6+ hours per day of training takes serious dedication.

I am struggling with 2 hours per day for rehad ... for maybe 2 months .... I stand in awe of these dedicated amateurs ( non paid athletes)

PS .. I do appreciate that the pros have their challenges ... my comments stems from my exposure to a couple of dedicated amateurs

Morne just possibly it is easier for professional athletes ... the training part.

Doing a full day job, and 6+ hours per day of training takes serious dedication.

I am struggling with 2 hours per day for rehad ... for maybe 2 months .... I stand in awe of these dedicated amateurs ( non paid athletes)

PS .. I do appreciate that the pros have their challenges ... my comments stems from my exposure to a couple of dedicated amateurs

i get it, i really do...contrary to what some may think they know.

I have also competed at national level while working a 16h a day professional job, having to travel to other provinces on friday nights, to be ready on saturday mornings, do the thing...just to drive back on sunday night to be ready for work on monday morning again.

Most of the time I did the 'spannering' after finishing what needed to be done for work 9pm at night....be up until 2 or 3, sleep.... and go to work at 7. i know the dedication it takes for an amateur believe me. i'm also know the guy personally who has been dominating the Munga trail run for the past few years....he's a 'semi pro' too for that matter. 

id go as far to say it might be considered an insult to the olympians who actually really spent that amount of time or more building up and prepping for the olympics (no offence directed at you ChrisF)....which might also get cancelled. no THAT, is some real hurt....because for some of those people, it might be their only chance if you consider some of their back stories and circumstances thay overcame to make it to the olympics.

bat alas. what do i know...i'm not an olympian and i have been clinically diagnosed on a bicycle forum to lack the ability to feel empathy and am therfor a psychopath :P  :lol: 

Why are olympians considered a higher being than an average joe doing an IM?

Two Oceans now cancelled

Interesting that they did not follow the pattern of shifting it out to later in the year ....

Two Oceans now cancelled

Interesting that they did not follow the pattern of shifting it out to later in the year ....

It's mainly the big city marathons that are being rescheduled. I'm guessing this is largely related to the income that those marathons generate for the local economy and because there entry process is so much more complicated and difficult. I was watching the press conference for the Boston postponement... The race brings in 200 million dollars to Boston annually

It's mainly the big city marathons that are being rescheduled. I'm guessing this is largely related to the income that those marathons generate for the local economy and because there entry process is so much more complicated and difficult. I was watching the press conference for the Boston postponement... The race brings in 200 million dollars to Boston annually

I think the biggest loser for the two oceans cancellation is forries [emoji1787]

Yebo yes .... SCARY the dedication some of these athletes put into this !!

This lady was the typical "generally fit" person, supporting her husband in his competitions.  Driving the back-up vehicle, etc.  Then one year she got talked into joining him for the Trans Baviaans, as a rider not back-up driver.  They won the couples race.

She then set her goals on the Ironman.  Training for two years before doing her event in 2018.  Swimming was a totally new sport to her, and took some serious training.  2019 she did Trans Gariep (one of the few to actually finish this event), half Ironman and a handfull of other events.  Her goal being to peak for the 2020 Ironman.  The ultimate goal being to take part in a European Ironman in 2022 ... she had already started doing the Zwift training on the European track ... 

She only does the full event every second year as the training regime is simply to intense, taking a toll on family and work.  It is simply crazy to see the dedication it takes to do this properly.

O-well, these athletes WILL bounce back !!  Give them a bit of space to deal with the dissapointment, and in a few days they will set new goals .....  Sadly for those over 50 there are not that many opportunities left to do such ultra-events, not at competative times ....

Whoop de doo.

The level of training/time/dedication you put into finishing an ironman is your own choice.

There is no-one putting a gun to your head telling you to enter, to train 24+ hours a week. you can do it on way less training, you'll just take longer on the day.

it's a straight up tradeoff as to how you spend your freetime=> racetime on the day vs time spent with family. and you make a choice how you want to balance that equation.

So no I don't really have that much concern for people who throw their toys out the cot because this thing they've spent six months of their life obsessing over got postponed. There's much more worrying stuff out there in the grand scheme of things

Why are olympians considered a higher being than an average joe doing an IM?

You kidding right? 

Really gutted for all the 2020 athletes that it has been postponed.

My dream was to do the 2020 event, but realised that it would not be due to a running injury in December, and decided to do the 2021 event. 

The November date suits me great, but I see the entries are sold out. Anyone know if you will still eb able to enter as surely not everyone that was going to do the 2020 event is set for November?

My dream was to do the 2020 event, but realised that it would not be due to a running injury in December, and decided to do the 2021 event. 

The November date suits me great, but I see the entries are sold out. Anyone know if you will still eb able to enter as surely not everyone that was going to do the 2020 event is set for November?

Entries for March were already closed, hence the "sold out" status.  IMSA are nowhere near knowing what the status of entries for November is.  I' betting a LOT of Europeans and Americans will cancel or defer in the coming months. 

I expect IMSA to open up some additional entries later in the year, but only once things have settled down and it's clear that the November race will indeed go ahead. 

We are a long way from there now, or having any kind of stability and certainty in the world.... 

I have a similar story, but had already entered so deferred to 2021.

Quite keen now to do it in 2020, hope I can move it back if the running is OK.

I would imagine they need a little time to update their records as some pull out or deferr.