Bike Carrier - Hyundai i20 MK2

Trevz

Hi guys

I'm hoping someone can assist me. I'm looking for a bike carrier that would fit on the new shape Hyundai i20. (bootlid fit)

Another question, I like the towbar variations. Is it possible to fit a towbar without the wiring? Will be strictly for carrying the bike... No ways I can tow anything with my naturaly aspirated 1.2 engine. Lol

TIA

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

I'm hoping someone can assist me. I'm looking for a bike carrier that would fit on the new shape Hyundai i20. (bootlid fit)

Another question, I like the towbar variations. Is it possible to fit a towbar without the wiring? Will be strictly for carrying the bike... No ways I can tow anything with my naturaly aspirated 1.2 engine. Lol

TIA

Go to the nearest thule shop and see what they offer for your bootlid. I've even bought a Holdfast rack from a thule store, so they have some Coca-Cola budget options for people with champagne taste.

I won't even bother with a towbar sans wiring. As soon as you have bikes on the rack, then you obscure your lights, so ideally you want to put a rack on that has its own lights and license plate holder. The whole shebang is a lot of money though. Good luck.

I put a towbar on my 1.2 Jazz... pretty handy! 

It makes me feel a lot safer having my bikes on a towbar carrier! 

I put a towbar on my 1.2 Jazz... pretty handy! 

It makes me feel a lot safer having my bikes on a towbar carrier! 

Agreed, our 1.2 Hyundai i20 also has a towbar, pulls a little trailer easily.

I would do that before getting a bootlid mounted rack. I had one for our polo and even with VPS it still damaged the paint.

Another vote for the towbar .. with the wiring harness.  Your bikes obscure your number plate and lights, and MANY have received traffic fines for this !  The Thule racks thus include lights and a number plate (well, space for your number plate)

still illegal .... as it obscures the vehicle number plate 

and down right dangerous as it obscures the lights !!  :eek:   :thumbdown:   Saw some similar dangerous behaviour last Saturday towards Napier .... THICK mist, and yet people use racks that obscure their vehicle lights  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

I trust that as a reputable firm you do have some safe solutions for your customers

Agreed, our 1.2 Hyundai i20 also has a towbar, pulls a little trailer easily.

I would do that before getting a bootlid mounted rack. I had one for our polo and even with VPS it still damaged the paint.

Yep, the honda is gutless but a little ventertjie works fine! 

thule platform rack with a light board for the winner

expensive i know but the peace of mind knowing the bikes are stable cant drop off and wont rub like on a hanging rack is well worth the money

i have one and when bikes are on i can drive without having to monitor rear view mrror

still illegal .... as it obscures the vehicle number plate 

and down right dangerous as it obscures the lights !!  :eek:   :thumbdown:   Saw some similar dangerous behaviour last Saturday towards Napier .... THICK mist, and yet people use racks that obscure their vehicle lights  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

I trust that as a reputable firm you do have some safe solutions for your customers

Saris offer a light board accessory, this will address all issues you have mentioned above. https://www.saris.com/product/light-board

@Trevz, try Autobar in Pretoria North for costing on a towbar. Best out there and the dealers use them.

Great price, great service. You literally wait for your car while they do it if you have pre-booked.

Hi Trevz- I have a Thule hanger mounted on an unwired towbar. Works perfectly fine. And i bought the Huyndai Getz towbar off gumtree for next to nothing.

I did do the wiring a while a go because I used a newer rack.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I prefer the towbar route... Would hate to damage the tail gateand hate for the clip on wrack to fall off on the way to an event out the province. Lol

Holdfast also have platform bike racks. Not as refined as Thule (some will say) but does the job well. I have been using the tilt one for 6 months now and I have had no issues. I got mine on a special a while back but I see the price has gone up again.

https://www.holdfast.co.za/pages/bike-carriers

I also owned a Hyundai i10 grand and had a thule strap on for a few years. I cut up an old inner tube and put over all the contact points, no paint damage observed. I had an extra number plate made up which I would cable tie to the rack to be legal.

But yes, carriers are the bees knees

How many bikes do you transport ?

Most of the time I only transport two bikes, still prefer to use the 1st and 3rd racks of the three bike platform rack.  The "trays" are just too close, and you have handlebars and seat posts clashing, when using adjacent trays ....  not a biggy, as you use straps and protection between the bikes.  Just so much easier with 2 bikes on the 3 bike rack  :thumbup: