[Event] THE BAINSKLOOF RUSH (bike packing/camping race)

KieserJ

Event Name: THE BAINSKLOOF RUSH (bike packing/camping race)
When: 9 August 2019 - 11 August 2019
Where: TWEEDE TOL CAMPSITE, Western Cape
Category: Multisport

BIKE PACKING RACE!

Here we go! We’re racing from town up to Tweede Tol campsite in Bainskloof on August 9th (Friday, Woman’s day)... it’s a bike packing race!

First team or person to pitch their tent/shelter wins.

Any route! Any bike!

There will be a fully loaded bike weighing at Woodstock Cycleworks on Friday morning 7:30am. The bike race follows about 30 minutes later, Racers set off in intervals, heaviest bike first, lightest bike last. You can choose any route you want. All routes bottle neck at Wellington where riders will have to slog it up the majestic BainsKloof Pass.

Bainskloof and the Limietberg nature reserve is a beautiful part of the country. Saturday can be spent hiking, exploring by bike, riding to nearby wine/olive farms, chilling around campfires and talking bikes with like minded people. All are welcome.

Some people are taking the train from wellington back to town on Sunday, others are riding the whole way back.

Feel free to use the comments section to organise lifts and logistical issues.

It's going to be a fun race up and a solid weekend with good people and good vibes.. Hope to see you there.

Make sure you book your spot at the campsite. (9th and 10th of August.)

https://www.capenature.co.za/reserves/limietberg-nature-reserve/

*the race/event is free and there is no official registration.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzhtKkVHaWt/

Go to Event Page

RACE: The race will be a weight handicapped race. Riders will set off in intervals, heaviest bikes first, lightest bikes last.

You can choose any route to Bainskloof. All roads should end up funnelling through Wellington and Bainskloof pass. So get your map out and start planning.

RIDE: If you aren't keen on racing and would rather just ride there will be a group of riders that set off before the race at 8am. There are lots of nice coffee/food stops along the way.
There are also a group of riders catching the train to wellington and riding from there.

CAMPING: You can book/pay for your spot here (https://booking.capenature.co.za/#resorts/277/accommodationTypes) or call this number 087 0878250 to make a booking.
Each campsite holds 6 people, so try find other people to camp with to save money and space.

PRIZES: There are going to be a couple small prizes.
1. First person to set up their camp.
2. Fastest time up Bainskloof pass on the day. (*on Strava.)
3. Prize for the jankiest looking bike packing rig.

Notes.
1. Its going to be cold, so pack warm.
2. Wellington is the last town before the climb, so make sure you stack up on food and drinks before climbing up Bainskloof pass.
3. There isn't any signal at the campsite. (You can ride a few kms down the road if you really need some.)

Looking forward to a fun race and a cool weekend!

This is what cycling is all about. Booked No. 7. We are 4 people currently, so if someone wants to take the last two spots on the unit let me know. 

Edited by Wettas

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe I only spotted this now?? sounds like so much fun..exactly the kind of thing I like doing. Wish I saw it two weeks ago...we are big campers but i don't have 'bike friendy' stuff. If not for the predicted weather i would just gooi the army sleeping bag and a bottle of wine and rough it under the stars. Even the wife sounds keen. How are you lot coming back? riding too?

Can't believe I only spotted this now?? sounds like so much fun..exactly the kind of thing I like doing. Wish I saw it two weeks ago...we are big campers but i don't have 'bike friendy' stuff. If not for the predicted weather i would just gooi the army sleeping bag and a bottle of wine and rough it under the stars. Even the wife sounds keen. How are you lot coming back? riding too?

Hi Morne! Yeah i think the weather is going to hold up. Under 40% chance of rain. Pull in! Some of us are riding the whole way back on Sunday, some are taking the train. 

Hi Morne! Yeah i think the weather is going to hold up. Under 40% chance of rain. Pull in! Some of us are riding the whole way back on Sunday, some are taking the train. 

SUPER keen after seeing the forecast today. might have to ride from durbanville though, the bikes are still that side after Stellies MTB challenge. I know it is "choose your own route" but ive already scouted 'all three' and it seems most will be riding via Durbanville to Wellington unless someone has a death wish via Voortrekker - Brackenfell/Kraaifontein/klapmuts - BK LOL? i'll chat to the wife tonight...maybe I can get in touch with someone who will be cruising in the "groupride" so we can join the group from dbnville?

SUPER keen after seeing the forecast today. might have to ride from durbanville though, the bikes are still that side after Stellies MTB challenge. I know it is "choose your own route" but ive already scouted 'all three' and it seems most will be riding via Durbanville to Wellington unless someone has a death wish via Voortrekker - Brackenfell/Kraaifontein/klapmuts - BK LOL? i'll chat to the wife tonight...maybe I can get in touch with someone who will be cruising in the "groupride" so we can join the group from dbnville?

I can lend you a bivvy bag if you need?

Folds up small as a rain jacket. Let me know!

Lekker idea! Were there this weekend! Make sure you back extra thick long johns! Its a chilly zero degrees in the morning!

I can lend you a bivvy bag if you need?

Folds up small as a rain jacket. Let me know!

thanks for the offer! If she is keen though i'll properly just go buy small cheap 2 man hiking tent. My canvas stuff weights more than my bike haha. Those bivy bags are awesome though, long term solution for sure but they are quite pricey ugh

thanks for the offer! If she is keen though i'll properly just go buy small cheap 2 man hiking tent. My canvas stuff weights more than my bike haha. Those bivy bags are awesome though, long term solution for sure but they are quite pricey ugh

You can always rent gear from scuttle if you don't want to make a big investment.

https://scuttle.co.za/