Rear Brake vibration MTB

Sidmouth

I eventual upgraded from 160mm to 180 mm rear rotor, however the vibrations which i have never experienced before make it impossible to brake, I have tried adding the 20MM spacers in a solid block and building them with individual spacers, the results are the same, radical vibrations

It only happened when i put the 180mm on, 160mm was fine.

any idea

I am also experiencing shuddering on my rear 180mm since I put new pads on.  It shudders at very low speeds - been doing it for about 200km's

Your vibration may be due to it being a new disc that needs some time.   I know some new discs might need some time to "bed in" - when they vibrate it is sometimes suggested to sand it with very fine paper on top of a hard and perfectly flat surface.

I am not sure why my brakes are shuddering now because I have changed pads a couple of times in the past - perhaps I need to bleed my brakes which was last done 4 years ago....?

Did you clean your discs before installing? !0 to 1 your pads are dirty/contaminated.

Maak skoon.

are they those cheese grater type discs? with the huge holes/cutouts? I moved a set of deore m6000 brakes I had on my previous bike to my wifes bike that has those type of discs and when i bed them in for her I felt what could probably be described as a light shudder.....as those nasty cutouts chew up the brake pads. They give the feel of better stopping power but they chew through pads like crazy imo.

im 92 KG so I thought 180 would cool better.

rotors are new TRP rotors

yes, cleaned rotors a few time, even taken out pads, sanded to flat keen with alcohol, and reinstalled,

ive changed the 20 spacers from solid to single, realigned the works, 

I do a few enduros and see guys often upsize to 180mm, so im sure the problem is documented, hoping someone has had a similar experience 

are they those cheese grater type discs? with the huge holes/cutouts? I moved a set of deore m6000 brakes I had on my previous bike to my wifes bike that has those type of discs and when i bed them in for her I felt what could probably be described as a light shudder.....as those nasty cutouts chew up the brake pads. They give the feel of better stopping power but they chew through pads like crazy imo.

The bigger the cutouts in the discs the lighter they are but the downside is that they have a lower surface  and volume area tso less for the pads to grab on and less to dissipate heat. Be careful - there was a post on the hub where someone bought a really large piece of fynbos when he was using those rotors after a long downhill and heat built up - he basically had no brakes.

For this to be useful we need the details of which 180mm rotors were used, how were the pads aligned. I assume old pads. What discs? Was it torqued down correctly etc. 

Not all rotors are made equal as we are quickly establishing....

Mine are the RT62 M rotors of which the rear one shudder a lot when braking hard moving toward stand still.   At higher speed and light braking it is all fine.  I will take them apart later today to see if there are pieces missing on the sides of the pad from any "grating"

shimano-smrt62-deore-rotor-160mm-na-0010

those are fine

these are the chees grater types. they suck. The leading edges are more and the lips just eat up pads like crazy. they are also lighter and less stiff because all the material removed....making them warp so easy.

post-64325-0-63660000-1563777490_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

to addto this.

I have owned both these rotors..the older Hope saw tooth and the new ones with round holes in. The new ones are infinitely less noisy and work alot better. the saw tooth ones, especially with organic pads....made a noticeable 'shudder'or vibrating sound when you grabbed a hand full of brakes....like you could hear the pad material being removed lol ( DRRRRRRRRRR)

post-64325-0-08969500-1563777827_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-79512100-1563777833_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

Have you tried removing the rotor and clean mount and  reseat when you tighten up the screws do it like you do a car wheel  order 1/3/5 etc.