947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling on all the people in the know - here's my scenario: 

I'm a mtber, but I have done the 94.7 six times already but every time on a full mtb kit. I mean, I'm not going to win the thing so why tinker with the mtb for one race? Anyhow, this year I will be doing it again but now the agreement is that we'll be doing it on slicks. 

So now my question: which ones, bear in mind that I'm never going to use it again after this event so I do not want to pay R600 per tire  :whistling:. I mean do the tires make such a big difference? Any advice please 

Calling on all the people in the know - here's my scenario: 

I'm a mtber, but I have done the 94.7 six times already but every time on a full mtb kit. I mean, I'm not going to win the thing so why tinker with the mtb for one race? Anyhow, this year I will be doing it again but now the agreement is that we'll be doing it on slicks. 

So now my question: which ones, bear in mind that I'm never going to use it again after this event so I do not want to pay R600 per tire  :whistling:. I mean do the tires make such a big difference? Any advice please 

These are about the cheapest, they were like R125 each a few weeks back.

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/chaoyang-tyre-viper-29er-slick-700x35c

But, why waste any money if you never going to use them again... Just go out and have fun with what you got

That's what I said. I mean I've always done it on the knobblies but now everyone wants more speed and they claim that I will be left behind  :whistling:

These are about the cheapest, they were like R125 each a few weeks back.

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/chaoyang-tyre-viper-29er-slick-700x35c

But, why waste any money if you never going to use them again... Just go out and have fun with what you got

Hi hubbers. If you have an entry for the full 94.7, is it possible to drop down and start with the guys (even if it’s at the back) for the 60km ride?

Hi, it is possible to start with the 40Km at Melrose arch but your time will indicate a DNF as you would not have crossed the start mats at Riversands. The 40Km ride is not a timed event

Did a 2h47 with my wife in D last year, we did a 2h33 from B at the Tshwane Classic last year. If you are fit enough to stay with the bunch the first halve of the route I would think a sub 3 is possible.

Last years Tshwane was 91km whereas this year was 97 km. so cannot compare those 

Thanks man.

Do you perhaps know if I can change it from the full to the 40km at registration? Or would you have to pay a fee?

Hi, it is possible to start with the 40Km at Melrose arch but your time will indicate a DNF as you would not have crossed the start mats at Riversands. The 40Km ride is not a timed event

I was wondering if anyone knows how spectators / supporters should approach the event - for example if my wife wants to find 1 or 2 places where she could easily get to and easily spot me and even perhaps pass me a nice ice cold bottle?   Where would 2 ideal places be and will access be easy difficult?

I was wondering if anyone knows how spectators / supporters should approach the event - for example if my wife wants to find 1 or 2 places where she could easily get to and easily spot me and even perhaps pass me a nice ice cold bottle?   Where would 2 ideal places be and will access be easy difficult?

Going the previous direction, I would have suggested the M2 but now its all downhill.

We seem to be running into a week full of rain, no complaints from my side.

When was the last wet 947? Feels like it is always just Hot and Dry?

post-27827-0-95402500-1573191649_thumb.png

the forecasts for JHB change rapidily, so we can only hope for a cool day without heavy showers.

I do hope the rain stays away, making the trip up for Durbz and last thing we need is for it to be rained out.

Going the previous direction, I would have suggested the M2 but now its all downhill.

We are from behind the boerewors curtain and do not know the applicable areas that well.  Wifi will have to park somewhere and get an easy acces spot.  Any suggestions will be much welcomed.

it used to always rain the week leading up to 947, even the evening before it would be raining.

I would say perhaps around the kyalami or woodmead area would perhaps be 1 good spot, your wife should be able to come on the N1 and then get off at Allandale and then either take the R101 and then past world of golf to get to the R55 or waterfall or Allandale itself to get to Kyalami, to get further down the R55 she will have to take New Road and perhaps park at the Crowthorne shopping centre (corner Arthur/R55) and meet you next to the road.

Not too familiar with the JHB side of things, but I am guessing if she can get to the other side of Jan Smuts in Randburg she might be able to meet you there next to the road (not sure how to get there with the road closures though) - that is quite a long hill getting to Wits with the route flipped around, so somewhere along there might be good

Edit: One thing to consider is the time it will take her to get from Randburg back to Midrand side if you look at the above 2 options, if there is heavy traffic she might not make it in time to meet you in Midrand, especially since she will have to go all the way around (through Randburg, N14, N1, etc)

Edited by PieterJvR

Cycling is a difficult sport to spectate and support loved ones. 

The only ever feasible way my family have been able to support was to wait for me at the finish line.

Sometimes the Juice isn't worth the squeeze.