Cannondale Slate

Simon Kolin

Such a sweet bike and fork, I just hope it sees more of the real world than being stationery

Maybe I am just a bit jealous  :thumbup:

Ah. Fair enough.

I say 90% of the time indoors because I feel safer and can manage the time better training inside. I promise I'll take the bike outside  :thumbup:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not that we buy bikes for resale but I really struggled to sell my very well specced slate for a better than fair price so definitely test it first

and one other thing - having had one and now using a Lauf fork, if I was in charge of your wallet, I'd buy a Farr frame, add a lauf fork and you'd have a cheaper better bike that really handle gravel.  (I have the more travel version for the chunkier types)  

But I'm not in charge of your wallet and the slate is serious fun

and one other thing - having had one and now using a Lauf fork, if I was in charge of your wallet, I'd buy a Farr frame, add a lauf fork and you'd have a cheaper better bike that really handle gravel.  (I have the more travel version for the chunkier types)  

But I'm not in charge of your wallet and the slate is serious fun

Definitely agree that the Farr would probably be better value and I'm a huge fan of a steel frame. That said, I reached out to them by PM and they flat ignored me on various occasions, so they can keep their build kit and shitty service.

Hi guys

I'm seriously looking at selling all my existing bikes (2x mountain and 1x Road) and purchasing a Cannondale Slate as a do-all replacement.

Would the current/former Slate owners please let me know your thoughts on this bike. Is it as much fun as it appears to be? Is the Lefty Oliver worth the extra fuss?

If anything the bike will spend 90% of the time indoors on the trainer and then the occasional Spruit/Delta Dash ride. I'd probably get an extra set of wheels and use it for the odd road ride/race.

Thanks

Simon

I would test ride it first. I did and though the Slate had very weird steering dynamics so didn't like it at all. The Left Oliver is really great though. Very plush with good small bump sensitivity. 650b is cool for single track. It's less cool for long distance racing i.e. slower. Not by much but it is noticeable. Also noticeable that all the Cannondale sponsored riders no longer use the Slate in any of the big gravel events. Their 700c bikes are just better for that stuff. 

I would test ride it first. I did and though the Slate had very weird steering dynamics so didn't like it at all. The Left Oliver is really great though. Very plush with good small bump sensitivity. 650b is cool for single track. It's less cool for long distance racing i.e. slower. Not by much but it is noticeable. Also noticeable that all the Cannondale sponsored riders no longer use the Slate in any of the big gravel events. Their 700c bikes are just better for that stuff. 

Thanks for your thoughts Andrew.

I'm never going to do any long distance races, but if AT can will DK200 on the original Slate Ultegra, then I'm confident that the bike is more than capable/comfortable.

I think the 700C Gravel bikes are "better" purely as a marketing choice, but that's just a guess on my part. Would be interesting to see the Topstone with a Lefty Oliver. That would be a very cool bike.

Ready for collection :-)

looks good hope you have many happy miles. On the whole wheel size thing does it really matter? If you like the bike is all that matters. I've have had all the wheel sizes and enjoyed all except for road bikes because of the lack of comfort.???? Edited by Me rida my bicycle

Why keep the road bike for the indoor trainer? 

What type of IDT ?

Wheel-on-roller ..... bit of fiddling each time you want to ride.  Some say it works fine, others say the wheel slip, the tire wear off to quickly, etc ....  I just dont like the sound ....

Direct-drive-trainer ..... now you need a second cassette, and it is a bit of fiddling to fit the bike.  But for the next week or month you are sorted.  And it is SILENT .....  but next time you want to ride outside it is a bit of fiddling to fit the tire ....

Okay, in each case the "bit of fiddling" really is minimal !!

I just find it so much nicer to have the road bike mounted on the trainer.  As and when I want to ride I start the PC, put on my pants and shoes, log in and ride.  Bike is always ready.  And when I want to ride outside the other bike is READY.

Now if you have an expensive road bike, then it may make sense to sell it, but so many road bikes are sold for next to nothing ... then it makes more sense to keep it for the trainer.

okay, let's see how I feel mid summer when the trainer can be packed away for a few months ....  :whistling:

ENJOY !!!!

Please give feedback on the "front end feel" ..... would love to know how this compares with the Lauf, both in ride and maintenance costs ....

What type of IDT ?

Wheel-on-roller ..... bit of fiddling each time you want to ride.  Some say it works fine, others say the wheel slip, the tire wear off to quickly, etc ....  I just dont like the sound ....

Direct-drive-trainer ..... now you need a second cassette, and it is a bit of fiddling to fit the bike.  But for the next week or month you are sorted.  And it is SILENT .....  but next time you want to ride outside it is a bit of fiddling to fit the tire ....

Okay, in each case the "bit of fiddling" really is minimal !!

I just find it so much nicer to have the road bike mounted on the trainer.  As and when I want to ride I start the PC, put on my pants and shoes, log in and ride.  Bike is always ready.  And when I want to ride outside the other bike is READY.

Now if you have an expensive road bike, then it may make sense to sell it, but so many road bikes are sold for next to nothing ... then it makes more sense to keep it for the trainer.

okay, let's see how I feel mid summer when the trainer can be packed away for a few months ....  :whistling:

Hi have a CycleOps M2 trainer. It was un upgrade from a Power Sync.

Can't say that I've had to fiddle too much each time or that the tyres have worn out particularly fast. The noise isn't ideal, but it is what it is.

I use Trainer Road on my Mac for training and it really isn't an issue to swap out the back wheel when I want to go out for a "real" ride.  I do agree that having a dedicated bike for each situation is better. But like I said, I'll do 90% of my training indoors throughout the year.

I have a very special vintage MTB that I use on the trails if needed. 

Will let you know how it all works out.

Edited by Simon Kolin

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and wishes. I have collected the bike and I'm smitten. Will take it for a ride later this weekend.