Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

Got the formula off WW.  It is pretty widely used.

From there I have just added some climbs I have don along the way to get a more clear picture overall.  

To get a BIG picture   (what REAL climbs looks like out there.....here is my complete list:

Ventoux sitting waaaaaaaaaaayyy at the top

Awesome.. You very fortunate to have ridden all those European climbs. No wonder you such a strong bugger.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the formula off WW.  It is pretty widely used.

From there I have just added some climbs I have don along the way to get a more clear picture overall.  

To get a BIG picture   (what REAL climbs looks like out there.....here is my complete list:

thanks for that. I'll play around with it. looks interesting

Once you've done one of those big boys it puts Suikerbossie into context.

I've been up Monte Grappa. Hands down the hardest climb I've ever done. 1600m of vert in 26km. The Giro goes up the steeper route which is 1600m in 19km. People I've spoken to reckon it's Italy's answer to Ventoux. I'd love to speak to a normal human being who's done both to get a gauge.

Tourmalet, Hautacam, Aubisque, Luz Ardiden and Col des Tentes are all on my hit list for June.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Took me like 15 min. I was hoping for less. I answered no to pretty much everything. I answered yes to cramps but then the other questions made me regret it as there wasn't an option to answer-to flipping unfit to push this hard. Anyway I have had the odd cramp during a race when the pace is high and my fitness is lacking. So I will take the punishment of the extra questions for not training enough.

Took me like 15 min. I was hoping for less. I answered no to pretty much everything. I answered yes to cramps but then the other questions made me regret it as there wasn't an option to answer-to flipping unfit to push this hard. Anyway I have had the odd cramp during a race when the pace is high and my fitness is lacking. So I will take the punishment of the extra questions for not training enough.

yeah if you just answer no to everything then its quick, but given my age and 20+ years of cycling and their broad "In you cycling career" statements i had to answer yes to some of them.

I will not get a decent seeding this year due to lack of "racing" but it's not an issue as I want to take it easy this year.  I've given up on a sub 3 because it requires training I don't like and talent I don't have.  I do the miles just my way not the right way.

Has anyway who is half ok, lets say can comfortably do 4 hours or better, ever deliberately started at the back?  Is it frustrating or fun? If I wanted to cruise and then every now and then put the "hammer" down would it be possible to do this or is it just too crowded?  Should I rather look for the 5 hour guys and just cruise along with them?  This year I want to stop for coffee, boerie rolls and perhaps a beer.  Seems more fun than racing for 3337th position

It can't be worse at the back than down 1e to 1J where I usually am. This is dangerous territory and I sh*t myself here.

I will not get a decent seeding this year due to lack of "racing" but it's not an issue as I want to take it easy this year.  I've given up on a sub 3 because it requires training I don't like and talent I don't have.  I do the miles just my way not the right way.

Has anyway who is half ok, lets say can comfortably do 4 hours or better, ever deliberately started at the back?  Is it frustrating or fun? If I wanted to cruise and then every now and then put the "hammer" down would it be possible to do this or is it just too crowded?  Should I rather look for the 5 hour guys and just cruise along with them?  This year I want to stop for coffee, boerie rolls and perhaps a beer.  Seems more fun than racing for 3337th position

It can't be worse at the back than down 1e to 1J where I usually am. This is dangerous territory and I sh*t myself here.

I'm a 4.5 hour rider.

But 2 years back I dropped back and rode with my dad doing his first CTCT.

6h30m

Climbs are crowded, water points crowded.

But, if you're dropping back and not going for a time you can have a jol. Especially if you're fitter than everyone around you.

Chirp the people, start conversations, help some folks out. Stop for a beer, massage, photo op. Its good fun.

I started in the 3rd last batch last year on my gravel bike. We came to a stand still on the on ramp to the M3. 

It is painfully crowded BUT you can definitely put foot, stop, chat, have a chow/beer and keep going. 

It is dangerous, so keep your wits about you. There is NO etiquette and people just swerve/stop wherever they want to.

It's fun but I don't think there is an ideal way to ride the Argust casually unless you have a group of you.

Edited by Jewbacca