Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started in the 3rd last batch last year on my gravel bike. We came to a stand still on the on ramp to the M3.

It is painfully crowded BUT you can definitely put foot, stop, chat, have a chow/beer and keep going.

It is dangerous, so keep your wits about you. There is NO etiquette and people just swerve/stop wherever they want to.

It's fun but I don't think there is an ideal way to ride the Argust casually unless you have a group of you.

Gravel bike is a great comfortable idea - etiquette? the guys in my batch are pretty liberal with this word - we all think we are sub 3 riders being held back by the idiots around us. Except we are the idiots around us

Gravel bike is a great comfortable idea - etiquette? the guys in my batch are pretty liberal with this word - we all think we are sub 3 riders being held back by the idiots around us. Except we are the idiots around us

hahahaha That is the best description of mid pack racing I have ever encountered!

:D Ja, that is where every slow under-trained dreamer try to sit on every other under-trained dreamers' wheel, hoping he will get pulled along to a magical 3 hour ride  :D (Been there, done that, again and again :blush: )

Edited by DJR

We are the idiots around us ... ha ha ... applies to so many contexts. I'm stealing that one for sure.

I'm IN...

Duane...you gonna join me upfront with one gear? :clap:

I'm waiting for a long range weather report before pulling the trigger. There will be entries available up till a week out.

Yeah it is a mission, especially with kids. I no longer go down for an extended period but I HAVE to keep doing it and TBH I am not complaining. It is now just part of my life and I work it into the budget. Once the kids are older I will make a holiday of it. I remember as a school lightie having to take school work down every year and do it while down there.

Maybe we can chit-chat again at 47 km/h again on Muizenberg beach road...

I'm waiting for a long range weather report before pulling the trigger. There will be entries available up till a week out.

Com'on boet, you can count on the wind!

I will not get a decent seeding this year due to lack of "racing" but it's not an issue as I want to take it easy this year. I've given up on a sub 3 because it requires training I don't like and talent I don't have. I do the miles just my way not the right way.

Has anyway who is half ok, lets say can comfortably do 4 hours or better, ever deliberately started at the back? Is it frustrating or fun? If I wanted to cruise and then every now and then put the "hammer" down would it be possible to do this or is it just too crowded? Should I rather look for the 5 hour guys and just cruise along with them? This year I want to stop for coffee, boerie rolls and perhaps a beer. Seems more fun than racing for 3337th position

It can't be worse at the back than down 1e to 1J where I usually am. This is dangerous territory and I sh*t myself here.

When my son did his first at 11 years old we started fairly far back.his mom and I rode shotgun around him and we saw the madness

We rode a 6 hour so pretty much kept pace with the loonies

So many crashes

When my son did his first at 11 years old we started fairly far back.his mom and I rode shotgun around him and we saw the madness

We rode a 6 hour so pretty much kept pace with the loonies

So many crashes

A friend calls it the wildebeest migration.