Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

Amazing, if you think about it, there has not been a single Covid19 case traced to a CTCT contact..........lucky we were indeed! Looking back, we were so lucky it went ahead at all......same for Eroica SA the weekend after. Here's to a virus and wind free 2021 CTCT! Crossing fingers, holding thumbs, touching wood, rubbing my rabbits foot and have a horseshoe in my pocket! :)  

OH, that's a horse shoe in your pocket, thank goodness, I was getting worried.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OH, that's a horse shoe in your pocket, thank goodness, I was getting worried.

:D  :D  :D  :D

Amazing, if you think about it, there has not been a single Covid19 case traced to a CTCT contact..........lucky we were indeed! Looking back, we were so lucky it went ahead at all......same for Eroica SA the weekend after. Here's to a virus and wind free 2021 CTCT! Crossing fingers, holding thumbs, touching wood, rubbing my rabbits foot and have a horseshoe in my pocket! :)  

SO, 6 weeks later.

have there been any confirmed contacts/infections coming from the CTCT 2020??

SO, 6 weeks later.

A lady the rode the CTCT passed away from Covid this week ....

They did NOT say where she contracted it though ...

SO, 6 weeks later.

I have saw something that the WC government is preparing themselves that it will take over as the epicenter of the outbreak in SA.

This could be due to a totally different cause than CTCT, as I would think that CPT gets way more international visitors than JHB, so the initial seeding of the virus was more intense in CPT irrespective of the CTCT itself.

What is surprising is that Tshwane sits on roughly 159 cases, and Jhb on about 800 IIRC. Would have expected a way closer number between the two.

• 2 weeks later...

The tour that should have never been....

So lucky! Just before Covid!!

SO, 6 weeks later.

So, the City Of Cape Town has 3000 cases. Almost double that of the next biggest Province, Gauteng.

I honestly just think it is as a result of most European visitors spending most of their time in CPT instead of the rest of the country. But there might be a chance that officials will look at the influx caused by the CTCT and deduce that sport must by the reason for this outbreak.

post-27827-0-51208400-1588659637_thumb.png

post-27827-0-29570400-1588659643_thumb.png

So, the City Of Cape Town has 3000 cases. Almost double that of the next biggest Province, Gauteng.

I honestly just think it is as a result of most European visitors spending most of their time in CPT instead of the rest of the country. But there might be a chance that officials will look at the influx caused by the CTCT and deduce that sport must by the reason for this outbreak.

I think that the climb in numbers started way too long after the CTCT to be attributed to that. We should have seen a spike early on, 2 to 3 weeks after. It would have showed even if the state was not testing yet, because most would have been on private healthcare and would have gone for private testing.

But then the question is why?

In the initial spike of numbers I would suspect the Europeans tourists and South Africans returning home. Beyond that it is difficult to explain.

Something as simple as the effectiveness of the screening and testing can have a big effect of the numbers. The Western Cape has been pretty efficient with that, so I suppose it can be argued that they would find the positive cases more efficiently than some of the less organized provinces?

It is a good question, perhaps not such a good answer?

I think that the climb in numbers started way too long after the CTCT to be attributed to that. We should have seen a spike early on, 2 to 3 weeks after. It would have showed even if the state was not testing yet, because most would have been on private healthcare and would have gone for private testing.

But then the question is why?

In the initial spike of numbers I would suspect the Europeans tourists and South Africans returning home. Beyond that it is difficult to explain.

Something as simple as the effectiveness of the screening and testing can have a big effect of the numbers. The Western Cape has been pretty efficient with that, so I suppose it can be argued that they would find the positive cases more efficiently than some of the less organized provinces?

It is a good question, perhaps not such a good answer?

Think  allot of factors at play, including testing volume and efficiency.

But I do believe there is a chance that we cannot discount CTCT as an event where the seeds were planted, from which the outbreak took place. But we will most likely never know, so probably best to let this one go for now.

The more likely reason for more cases probably lies between more International Visitors staying longer than in other parts of the country, combined with more efficient and numerous testing instances taking place in the WC.

The cases are coming from Mitchells Plain, Khayalitsha, Tygerberg and Atlantic Seaboard. So it's likely spiking due to initial lack of testing , tracking of contacts of positive cases. WC has been slow to respond and now its catching up. That's one theory