Standard Maxxis ICON tyres with new bike tubeless?

julianp.oosthuizen

Hi

I got a brand new wheelset with Maxxis ICON tyres on. These tyres were converted to tubeless. Chap said who I bought it from, these wheels came with his new bike, but he got new wheels fitted when purchased. 

(When I purchased my new bike 2016 with same tyres on the bicycle shop changed tyres to new tubeless tyres . The Maxxis ICON tyres that was on this bike is still on my wifes bike WITH TUBES.) 

Question: (Maxxis ICON tyres with white writing and no sign TR, just "MAXXIS ICON" ....Should I be worried to try these tyres tubeless on the mountain. 

I have spare tubeless tyres I can fit or should the MAXXIS ICON tyres be good to ride tubeless as is. 

I hope someone can clarify this.  I see all the Maxxix ICON tyres at Bike shops have a range of different markings on and the tyre name "MAXXIS ICON" is yellow..

I would not mind fitting Maxxis Aggressor tyre upfront. when I have more bucks. 

I had the same question.  I bought a few 'new' tires from someone that didn't use them.  Came with all the manufacture packaging etc - nowhere on the packaging did it say tubeless / tubeless ready/ non tubeless etc.

Checked on their website:  none of the IKONs are marked as either tubeless or non-tubeless.  So I assumed they all are.

Fitted them, sealed them, pumped them up and rode with them - no issues to date...

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-278-140-ikon#

Just checked .... my MAXXIS Icon tires are marked in White, and displays the TR (tubeless ready) mark on the sidewall.  On the tagg it clearly states these tires are "tubeless ready".

These were bought in 2019.

NOT sure when they started showing the "TR" mark on the sidewall.

When I bought a new bike a few years ago it was fitted with the foldable but not tr tyers. Bikeshop said it could be made tubeless, but it wont las as long as tr tyers. I took the chance and did about 400km on the rear and 800 on the front. I did not have any problems with it. The only reason I changed it was because it started wheezing slime fom the sidewall. The sidewall isn't very thick and it wears quickly without tubes. You can see the rubber disintegrate. It makes white v's on the side.

Ride it till it is done and get some new tyers.

When I bought a new bike a few years ago it was fitted with the foldable but not tr tyers. Bikeshop said it could be made tubeless, but it wont las as long as tr tyers. I took the chance and did about 400km on the rear and 800 on the front. I did not have any problems with it. The only reason I changed it was because it started wheezing slime fom the sidewall. The sidewall isn't very thick and it wears quickly without tubes. You can see the rubber disintegrate. It makes white v's on the side.

Ride it till it is done and get some new tyers.

:thumbup:  This

Icon's with no markings on them can be used as tubeless but won't last as long and eventually sweat sealant.

When I bought my bike new they were fitted with TR tyres with tubes. Bikeshop said that although they are tubeless ready, they wouldn't convert it to tubeless because it already had tubes in, something about the tubes stretching the tyre and then they are prone to "burping" sealant at the rims. Any truth in this, or were they just looking to make an extra buck by selling me two new tyres? Sounded like BS to me..

When I bought my bike new they were fitted with TR tyres with tubes. Bikeshop said that although they are tubeless ready, they wouldn't convert it to tubeless because it already had tubes in, something about the tubes stretching the tyre and then they are prone to "burping" sealant at the rims. Any truth in this, or were they just looking to make an extra buck by selling me two new tyres? Sounded like BS to me..

Utter BS !!

TR or not TR. If its kevlar/folding bead, you can make them tubeless. Most tyres are fine but some have paper thin sidewalls (like Schwalbe Furious Fred), and they are also fine if you are willing to risk it and know you'll be able to pick your lines well in rocky areas. Put it like this... since tubeless first hit the market I have NEVER used a "real" tubeless tyre, never ever. And it has ever only backfired on me once. I've always used regular tyres with folding bead (not wire bead) and just pick the ruggedness of the tyre based on how I know the course will be.

If it doesn't day TR, tubeless ready then it's not tubeless

I have converted Maxxis Sphinx (wire bead afaik) 29x 2.1 to TL and have ridden almost 500 km with it, primarily on (not so nice) gravel roads.  Absolutely no issue.  (I am not recommending it I am only giving feedback on my non-TR experience).   

Edited by Pieter-za

Awesome! Now I can dust off some nice 29er tyres in my cupboard to use.

This is what I remember from long ago with converting 26" tyres, but also wanted to make sure. (I even used Schwalbe non-tubeless tyres with the thin porous side walls - not ideal, but eventually sealed up and stayed inflated once they had enough sealant dried to the sidewalls on the inside - at least they were light!)

Those Maxxis Icon tyres with white writing that come with new Meridas and Scotts and other brands are super *** tyres that are only good for hangind up in your garage or selling on the hub. They got no protection whatsoever and a small piece of glass or a baby thorn will puncture them easily. OEM Tyres they are called 60 TPI . (They are not even good for running tubes never mind tubeless). Serious Bike Shops usually throw them out when you buy a new bike.

Last year Kyalami Cycle Tech was selling them for 100 bucks each.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????