Tokai Trails

jimmy hardtail

I think Vasbyt is in my 5km radius, but Tokai will be simple to figure out... no one at SANParks is going to  unlock the pedestrian gate. Greenbelts it is, me and half of the Southern Suburbs!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes a lot of sense but I have a feeling that the car park is going to be packed tomorrow with alot of peeps frothing for the mountain. Jeez, the beach must be torture. Just saw they opened up Bondi in Aus' with taped off lane for people to run down, surf and come back up. dropping in isn't social distancing so that would make a nice change there! 

hahaha yeah... Hearing the waves breaking knowing that there is a light off shore makes it pretty annoying. But I will be happy to walk the hound and ride/run in my limited piece of pie.

The wife and I are planning our schedule. I would guess the trainer is still going to get plenty of use on the alternate wife allocation days when I stay home and watch baba.

I've finished shaping 2 of the 3 surfboards I set out to doing at the start of lockdown. Number 3 will go into the bay tomorrow to have some foam mowed. 

I will glass all 3 when we have a warm day and then make custom fins out of the off cuts. Then the frustration will be super real re surfing! 

I've finished shaping 2 of the 3 surfboards I set out to doing at the start of lockdown. Number 3 will go into the bay tomorrow to have some foam mowed. 

I will glass all 3 when we have a warm day and then make custom fins out of the off cuts. Then the frustration will be super real re surfing! 

Love it. I pulled all my old boards out a couple of days ago. Man I'd forgotten what I'd kept in the big sell of before we moved from Sydney. In the usual shortboards there are a couple of sick modern single fins (6' and 6'4") as well as a wood keel'd twinny which is thicker and wider than most longboards. 

Not to turning this into the surfing thread but I was looking at something like this Calyton board before the lockdown as I want a decent cruise board that will work in most small stuff through to about shoulder high. Mainly as I want to get my kids into surfing now they are old enough (your hood and the usuals), want to still surf but I'm fatter and more unfit then I used to be but I honestly don't like long boards. What do you think and who would you recommend to do a good job on something like this? It's basically a Takayama Scorpion. I think Hurricane do something similar. I was thinking in the 6'6" range.  

Scorpion-vert-top_1024x1024.png

Edited by T-Bob

Makes a lot of sense but I have a feeling that the car park is going to be packed tomorrow with alot of peeps frothing for the mountain. Jeez, the beach must be torture. Just saw they opened up Bondi in Aus' with taped off lane for people to run down, surf and come back up. dropping in isn't social distancing so that would make a nice change there! 

Honestly, with how busy the green belts are likely to be on those mornings, I think I'll stick to the indoors for a bit longer so I can actually go at times that are ACTUALLY quiet

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Honestly, with how busy the green belts are likely to be on those mornings, I think I'll stick to the indoors for a bit longer so I can actually go at times that are ACTUALLY quiet

Was thinking exactly the same myself. The pooches need a walk before they mutiny but that can be done far from the madding crowd. 

Is the forest where the ribbon memorial is down the the river / greenbelt also SanParks aka closed? 

Damn, One side 5km of my radius is pretty decent cycling, the left and right side is ok, but the other side!!!! If I want to lay an insurance claim, I should go cycle there!!

Love it. I pulled all my old boards out a couple of days ago. Man I'd forgotten what I'd kept in the big sell of before we moved from Sydney. In the usual shortboards there are a couple of sick modern single fins (6' and 6'4") as well as a wood keel'd twinny which is thicker and wider than most longboards. 

Not to turning this into the surfing thread but I was looking at something like this Calyton board before the lockdown as I want a decent board that will work in most small stuff through to about shoulder high. Mainly as I want to get my kids into surfing now they are old enough (your hood and the usuals) and I'm fatter and more unfit then I used to be but I honestly don't like long boards. What do you think and who would you recommend to do a good job on something like this? It's basically a Takayama Scorpion. I think Hurricane do something similar. I was thinking in the 6'6" range.  

Scorpion-vert-top_1024x1024.png

Get that clayton shorter, it will be the ultimate Muizenberg/Kommetjie board but you need to be able to duck dive it otherwise you may as well just surf a 9'4 log....

Check this out;

https://colbysurfboards.co.za/promo/

You could get exactly what you want custom done for about R1500....

I made a Mini Simmons, 5'2, 22 1/4, 3, a 5'5, 20 2/5, 2 7/10 Fish low rocker but quite big tail kick to be fast in the flats but turn gauges off the back foot and a low rocker 6'3, 20 1/2, 2 3/5 single fin with super turned down rails for big dunes/hoek barrel city.

EPS with carbon tape stringers for snap and glassed to last and survive kelp heads and me being a kook with 6oz bottom with 4oz tail patch and 12oz decks tree sap epoxy.

I cannot wait to see if they surf like ironing boards!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.... Being allowed to run and ride doesn't suddenly supersede the other rules. I fear too many people are going to forget this.

Edited by Jewbacca

Get that clayton shorter, it will be the ultimate Muizenberg/Kommetjie board but you need to be able to duck dive it otherwise you may as well just surf a 9'4 log....

Check this out;

https://colbysurfboards.co.za/promo/

You could get exactly what you want custom done for about R1500....

Boom. Done. Awesome. Thanks. 

Edited by T-Bob

Was thinking exactly the same myself. The pooches need a walk before they mutiny but that can be done far from the madding crowd. 

Is the forest where the ribbon memorial is down the the river / greenbelt also SanParks aka closed? 

Yeah, that's also Parks land. 

I truly don't see the sense in allowing people to exercise withing 5 km from home and then not allowing them onto something like the Constantia Green Belts. Simply makes zero sense. It is physically open, there is no access control, no workers needed at gates or ticket sales, no rangers needed to patrol, it is on peoples doorstep, safer than to walk in the street, certainly safer than a shopping mall. the same applies to the front of Table Mountain as well. To those living close by, it is like the neighbourhood park. Why keep it closed? (Btw, I do not live close to the greenbelts)

Someone please explain to me why, or I may just start my personal civil disobedience campaign

I truly don't see the sense in allowing people to exercise withing 5 km from home and then not allowing them onto something like the Constantia Green Belts. Simply makes zero sense. It is physically open, there is no access control, no workers needed at gates or ticket sales, no rangers needed to patrol, it is on peoples doorstep, safer than to walk in the street, certainly safer than a shopping mall. the same applies to the front of Table Mountain as well. To those living close by, it is like the neighbourhood park. Why keep it closed? (Btw, I do not live close to the greenbelts)

Someone please explain to me why, or I may just start my personal civil disobedience campaign

Same reason you can buy sushi but not roast chicken? Electrical tape but not silicon bath sealant....?

Same reason you can buy sushi but not roast chicken? Electrical tape but not silicon bath sealant....?

:D Civil disobedience it is then - my duty  ;)

Edited by DJR