Spez Camber vs new Spez Stumpjumper ST

JensvD

I’ve been really happy riding a Camber Carbon Comp (large) for the last 5 years but it’s now coming to that stage where I’m going to have to start spending money on it (like getting a new fork…). I’m seriously considering getting a Stumpy ST instead but am unable get hold of a demo bike to try it out. Any comments from those in the know on how theses 2 bikes compare ridewise? I’ve also been advised that maybe an XL frame size may be more appropriate for me. I’m 188cm and 90kg. I guess it may be worth keeping an open mind about something like a Pyga Stage Max or Trek Fuel EX too...

Any comments most appreciated…

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve been really happy riding a Camber Carbon Comp (large) for the last 5 years but it’s now coming to that stage where I’m going to have to start spending money on it (like getting a new fork…). I’m seriously considering getting a Stumpy ST instead but am unable get hold of a demo bike to try it out. Any comments from those in the know on how theses 2 bikes compare ridewise? I’ve also been advised that maybe an XL frame size may be more appropriate for me. I’m 188cm and 90kg. I guess it may be worth keeping an open mind about something like a Pyga Stage Max or Trek Fuel EX too...

just...how?

I am 1.90, 120..... :blush: 

As for the Camber's fork. I have a Camber with the RS Revelation. Do they die that quick?

Hi there, I am 1.89, 84kgs and ride a 2019 XL Stumpy ST.

I love the bike, but depending on which model you are planning to get, consider upgrading the brakes and get a 150mm dropper.

I went from a s-works camber to a Pyga Stage.

I loved my Camber and still think they one of the best bikes for SA type riding but...

Do yourself a favour, ride the Pyga before making any decisions. I am completely blown away at how well the bike rides and climbs and I'm a 100km rider

Edited by Markellis

You might have to wait a while before you'll be able to get a demo as I think they are currently selling the test fleet and awaiting the 2020 test bikes. Maybe phone around a bit to find out when they'll be available.

I haven't ridden the new stumpy but looking at the geometry compared to the 2014 camber I assuming you have it is not comparable. The stumpy ST replaced the camber but I dont think it rides like a camber...

Edited by RudolphP

I am +/- 1.82m and ride a large Fuel Ex. I really can't complain about it. It is extremely stable and planted, but can also climb relatively well. You would probably want to go for a XL on it though. 

I think those are horses for different courses.

Don't know what a correct replacement is for a camber but it's not a Stumpy.

There is a huge difference in climbing ability whereas a fork upgrade on the camber goes a long way to bridge the gap in downhill performance.

Edited by Eugéne Alberts

I think those are horses for different courses.

Don't know what a correct replacement is for a camber but it's not a Stumpy.

There is a huge difference in climbing ability whereas a fork upgrade on the camber goes a long way to bridge the gap in downhill performance.

Stumpy ST(short travel)=Camber

Edited by bullet77

Been running similar ideas through my head ... this is a geo chart I have put together showing the comparison.

post-5403-0-45673000-1566544305_thumb.jpg

I went from a s-works camber to a Pyga Stage.

I loved my Camber and still think they one of the best bikes for SA type riding but...

Do yourself a favour, ride the Pyga before making any decisions. I am completely blown away at how well the bike rides and climbs and I'm a 100km rider

i have heard this ^^^^^ from more than one Stage owner.

just...how?

As for the Camber's fork. I have a Camber with the RS Revelation. Do they die that quick?

No, but they do like a service now and then.  Also, mine had the damper replaced fairly early (1 yr)

If you want a very similar bike to your Camber, then the Epic Evo has almost exactly the same geometry as the last Camber model.  Your views on the brain shock will probably help make up your mind.

With the newer bikes (modern geo), I don't think the sizing makes such a large difference and you could easily move up to an XL on the Epic.

The New Stumpy is much more of a TRAIL bike than the Camber, which is more XC orientated.  Be clear about what you're gonna use the bike for.

Happy hunting!

If you want a very similar bike to your Camber, then the Epic Evo has almost exactly the same geometry as the last Camber model.  Your views on the brain shock will probably help make up your mind.

With the newer bikes (modern geo), I don't think the sizing makes such a large difference and you could easily move up to an XL on the Epic.

The New Stumpy is much more of a TRAIL bike than the Camber, which is more XC orientated.  Be clear about what you're gonna use the bike for.

Happy hunting!

Dont confuse the Stumpy with the Stumpy ST. As stated earlier in the thread, the new Stumpy ST = Camber. Only real difference between them is the slightly slacker head tube angle and longer reach of the new Stumpy ST

Dont confuse the Stumpy with the Stumpy ST. As stated earlier in the thread, the new Stumpy ST = Camber. Only real difference between them is the slightly slacker head tube angle and longer reach of the new Stumpy ST

I beg to differ I ride the Stumpy ST and it is fundamentally different to the Camber just on travel alone 130 vs 120. My wife has the Epic Evo and that rides like a Camber at 120mm travel. Bear in mind that the Stumpy St travel can be upgraded to 140mm if needed which puts it closer to the enduro level.

just...how?

just...how?

Fox Evolution. Not quite dead yet but some wear on the stanchions requiring more frequent replacement of seals.