Cape Epic or Bikepacking in Europe?

Mark62

Problem with the false alarms seems to point to the panic factor ....

Somebody gets TESTED ... while waiting for the tesults social media goes wild .... and after serious stress levels the all clear gets whispered ...

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nevermore let me help you understand something in a few parts so we all understand the overall implications:

1: Epic:

Their Ethical decisions at best are not great from passed experience from many so for them to go ahead does not suprise me at all. However, I dont believe this Epic will go the distance, they may start but after a day or 3 will call it off. Or they will call it off totally before Sunday. Maybe start, save face and call it off. Maybe not but still.

When the WORLD sporting and gathering events are being called off, its weird that the company who owns epic and Ironman are happy to carry on. This isn't being hardcore, this is not looking at the future health of riders, staff, spectators and family members never mind a country that to date is lucky to have a low infection rate.

Participants:

The Pros - this is their job, they paid to race and often the top riders are paid base salary and then bonus money for UCI points. Epic has good UCI points so their salary bonus alone from epic its good. If they get sick at Epic their season is over. Remove the races already cancelled and their payments are less.

THEN add in a contract year, sick, no racing and no possible new contract end of the year. Great, unemployed athlete. Why is that a good thing?

Do sponsors get mileage from a virus infected athlete? No. You can figure the rest out.

Athletes careers are short, often underpaid and hard as F to stick to mentally and physically. Why put that in Jeopardy?

Normal folk: Cant work, often if you sick you get unpaid leave, families effected the list goes on. Why risk that? companies close?

The Virus and its effect on a Team:

This I have beyond 1st hand experience from having riders and staff in total lock down for 15 + days. For the staff like myself not on lock down the logistical nightmare is something I cannot explain here. Its a 24/7 full load all day and night. Then comes in who can race, who cant, when riders cant race they get unmotivated to train alittle then mentally you need to work on that. Keep everyone motivated to get their jobs done best incase we race tomorrow.

Riders and staff in lock down - have you thought of the mental and psychological effects this has? on a 20 old for example? Or a rider who's wife gave birth while he was in lock down? Imagine that.

Last 2 days and from 5am this morning it has only been deep discussions over Epic and what is the best option forward on my phone. Why people other than the athletes I work with have asked me, I have no idea, maybe cause of the point above but its never my call.

As of now you can see that:

Spez

Trek

Ghost

Have all pulled out over safety and I have heard more are coming today. These are potential winning teams in their category. You know the bonus payments on that? I know a team who finished top 5 last year and got a 250k bonus. Imagine walking away from that when you an athlete but happy to.

Travel:

Boarders in Europe and the world are being closed, imagine being sick or just needing to get home and you cant. You stuck.

So excuse me if I have typed this in a weird way but your post is the most immature thing I have seen in a long time with total lack of respect for anyones potential long term health or their careers in both cycling and none cycling circles.

I have no issue with your unhappy obsession with me, each to their own and people who know me, know I dont give a F what anyone thinks of me, BUT have respect for others. this way the world will be a better place in a very tough time.

If you want to chat Im happy you give me call, those who know me, know Im open to talk.

Slightly off topic there, I was simply making sure you are aware that the greatest Mountain Biking event in the world is about to start. Ill make sure of this for many years to come. But, for once you might be right, back packing in Europe might have been a better Idea this time round

The world comes to a standstill as the MTB race that measures all is about to start. Take a bow.

Oops, that was bit premature.

The thing that came to a standstill was the race that won’t be doing any measuring this year.

Fortunately the bridge you crawled out from won't be going anywhere either.

Slightly off topic there, I was simply making sure you are aware that the greatest Mountain Biking event in the world is about to start. Ill make sure of this for many years to come. But, for once you might be right, back packing in Europe might have been a better Idea this time round

No, it’s was right in topic and it backfired in your face. Badly.

To help you once again, bikepacking around Europe, being your better suggestion of an idea would be another far reaching consequence ridden unthought of comment from you (again) due to the virus pandemic in Europe where boarders and towns being shut down. This is such a **** idea I just don’t know how you posted thinking it was a good idea. Right up there with Nkandla fire pool.

Edited by J Wakefield

To help you once again, bikepacking around Europe, being your better suggestion of an idea would be another far reaching consequence ridden unthought of comment from you (again) due to the virus pandemic in Europe where boarders and towns being shut down. This is such a **** idea I just don’t know how you posted thinking it was a good idea. Right up there with Nkandla fire pool.

don't want to feed the troll any further, but my initial reaction to it was that it was probably meant to be read in the fashion of: 

"go take a swim with the sharks"...

or

"go jump off a building".....

as in 

"go take a bike tour through Covid-19 infested europe"....

hahahaha Bike packing round Europe 'this time round' would have been the worst idea ever!

Borders are shut and regional quarantine is being implemented so you would have bikepacked round the same town for a few weeks.

The BEST decision (in hindsight) this year was to do some alterations to your home so that it is rad and all set for your enforced quarantine or social withdrawal.

Also make sure you have something to do, like an IDT, treadmill etc as there won't be any sport to watch on TV.....

hahahaha Bike packing round Europe 'this time round' would have been the worst idea ever!

Borders are shut and regional quarantine is being implemented so you would have bikepacked round the same town for a few weeks.

The BEST decision (in hindsight) this year was to do some alterations to your home so that it is rad and all set for your enforced quarantine or social withdrawal.

Also make sure you have something to do, like an IDT, treadmill etc as there won't be any sport to watch on TV.....

A multi day Ceres / Karoo / whatever bike packing trip would be first prize. ????

Am I wrong in saying that your post had nothing to do with Corona at all? You were just making a bit a snarky (comis sans) sorta remark that the Epic (ie: greatest race in the world - again comic sans) is about to start?

That's how I read it... I think the timing may just have lead others to read a bit more into it than intended?

Edited by Grease_Monkey

This hurts J, really hurts.

Lets put this whole thing behind us, come ride the epic with me 2021, finish it, and regain your honor.

A multi day Ceres / Karoo / whatever bike packing trip would be first prize. ????

Well that is what a couple of friends of mine that were entered for the Epic are doing now. Not bike packing per se, but they are just going to ride all the local trails in the next 2 weeks.

Very off topic but I made a (small) donation to the back a buddy in your signature. Good luck with that. 

Ag feck, nevermore. Not this crud again. Just leave your bloody hatchet at home, okay?

Not funny anymore? You over it?