[Event] Eroica South Africa & NOVA Eroica

Stan Engelbrecht

On Friday night the judging of the Concourse D Elegance took place and (please correct me if I make a mistake, I’ve had a fair bit of “carbo loading” by that time) this Peter Allen took the prize for the best South African made bike.

post-17716-0-60953200-1584317221_thumb.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best international bike was the yellow Schwinn Paramount. The Andre Bertin in the foreground is one of a few new names I learnt! It was fantastic to see so many entries and especially so many great locally made bikes (Alpinas especially).

post-17716-0-09904400-1584317286_thumb.jpg

And another: Detto. A most beautiful chrome bike. Owned by a bike shop owner from Denmark - long way to come and brag!

"Detto was established a 125 years ago when Sante Detto devised special shoes for racing cyclists in 1895.  The company is now called Pietro Detto and still trade from its shop in the heart of Milan, Italy. Detto was used by some of the most famous cycling champions, Coppy included. In the 1970s and 80s the firm offered racing bikes of super quality and desirability."

post-17716-0-28185300-1584317564_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

My Merckx, Daniel rode his brothers “Technicolour Dream Coat” LeJeune (he’s done every one of his 4 Eroicas on a different bike and wanted to continue the trend……… more bike building coming up methinks) and Beatbox’s Lejeune.

post-17716-0-20688800-1584317931_thumb.jpg

Saturday 14 March at the start. As you can see, it was more than just a ride, it is a gathering of classic bicycles, clothes and people. This year definitely brought out more young riders than before, many of them riding bikes older than themselves. That meant tattoos were evenly matched with grey hair.

post-17716-0-52944200-1584318027_thumb.jpg

Sixty km riders (that’s us) getting the speech. Apparently the middle distance got the reputation as the "party ride". Well, as true as that may be, don't let the relatively short ride mislead you. I don't think anybody managed it in under 4 hours, most took 5 hours or thereabouts, not that it mattered. But what a route it was! Beautiful, hard enough to make it worth it, with a surprise view around every bend and from every hill.

post-17716-0-18543100-1584318141_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR