Hi, for me to get to know more mtb routes and events in the Cape Town region would it be better for me to join a mtb club? I liven Wynberg, Southern suburbs. None of my friends ride so I always go out alone and always just do the Constantia area trails. There are some maps etc available on bike hub but I won't just go out and do it on my own. Also the issue of safety etc. Thanx

Edited by Naz33m

Joining the Tygerberg club gives you all year access to all the trials they look after in the area between Durbanville and Parklands.

So Contermanskloof, Hoogekraal, Bloemendal, Meerendal etc. Routes are all well marked so you cant get lost and always a lot of riders on the trials especially over weekends.

You can also go these trails and pay the day permit fee (about R50).

Joining the Tygerberg club gives you all year access to all the trials they look after in the area between Durbanville and Parklands.

So Contermanskloof, Hoogekraal, Bloemendal, Meerendal etc. Routes are all well marked so you cant get lost and always a lot of riders on the trials especially over weekends.

You can also go these trails and pay the day permit fee (about R50).

Or you could get a TMNP Activity Permit in a group of 4 ppl for far cheaper and have access to as many trails with far more variety and closer to home.

None of my friends ride so I always go out alone and always just do the Constantia area trails. 

Or you could get a TMNP Activity Permit in a group of 4 ppl for far cheaper and have access to as many trails with far more variety and closer to home.

Tokai is just down the road and Table Mountain/Lion's head via Rhodes Memorial is probably close enough to ride from home..

The Green belts are easily accessed from Wynberg too.

Activity card level 3 gets you legal access to all of the above and should keep you happy enough.

You know you can make new friends right

Just saying that trying to sell that it's cheaper for 4 people to someone who expressly said they cycle alone because their friends don't - doesn't really make sense.

But yes the activity permit will grant access to awesome trails much closer to home.

On the flip side, joining tygerberg mtb will allow for meeting lots of new people and a lot of decent trails as well.

Just saying that trying to sell that it's cheaper for 4 people to someone who expressly said they cycle alone because their friends don't - doesn't really make sense.

But yes the activity permit will grant access to awesome trails much closer to home.

On the flip side, joining tygerberg mtb will allow for meeting lots of new people and a lot of decent trails as well.

OK Fine...it's cheaper than Tygerberm even if you don't do the group discount then.

They have decent trail, but no night riding, what does one do in the week in winter, etc. Trails are all so similar feature wise. Go ride the mountain closer to home.

@OP, PM me if you wanna come ride with on the mountain sometime, will happily introduce you to people n trails.

Thermo will never skip an opportunity to take a stab at Tygerberg... 

but he does have a point, Tygerberg not the most practical place for regular rides when you live in Wynberg, would also suggest looking at options in the Table Mountain area first

Thermo will never skip an opportunity to take a stab at Tygerberg... 

but he does have a point, Tygerberg not the most practical place for regular rides when you live in Wynberg, would also suggest looking at options in the Table Mountain area first

Someone has to fly the flag :P

Hi Naz

You are brilliantly located for several super mtb trails.

1. Up through Wynberg Park to the Kirstenbosch Top Gate. Then left into the little Lower Kirstenbosch single track loop.

2. Cross Rhodes Drive at the Cecilia Forest parking area. Then up the Cork Oak Trail. At the top end of that you can do the Constantia Greenbelts or Constantia Neck - Rhodes Mem.

3. Dip into the Constantia Greenbelts at the top end of Southern Cross Drive. You can carry on with this to the very bottom end in Lower Tokai Forest. From there you can turn back the way you came, or you can ride up through Lower Tokai and get into Upper Tokai Forest (the Southern Suburbs top riding place)

4. From the top of Cork Oaks you can also carry on towards Constantia Neck where you make a U-turn and ride the very beautiful trail above Kirstenbosch and towards Rhodes Memorial.

4. Upper Tokai Forest is enough to keep most of us going for a days ride, with various single track from easy ones for beginners to big stuff for experts. It is access controlled and patrolled. 5. You can also link Tokai it to The Silvermine West loop if you feel strong and love the best views of Hout Bay and Noordhoek.

6. From Rhodes Memorial you can ride the front of Table Mountain, again, enough for all levels of adventurers and fitness.

Where would I ride alone without a safety worry?

Upper Tokai

Silvermine West

Where would I ride alone but carry my pepper spray anyway?

Cork Oak Trail

Constantia Neck to Newlands Forest

Constantia Greenbelts

Where would I prefer at least 1 buddy and carry pepper spray? (but sometimes ride alone anyway)

Rhodes Mem to Blockhouse to Signal Hill

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for taking so long to respond. THANK YOU guys for the info and Thermo for the invite. I think for now I'm going with the TMNP option. [emoji120]

very interesting post this is, I must come check those CBD trails one day, I love our Tygerberg trails but always keen to discover new places

Today I decided to try the Tokai trails. I paid the single entry fee at Tokai Forest and made my way up the jeep track to a point where I didnt actually know where I was going. After asking a very friendly cyclist by the name of Patrick for directions he gladly showed me the way up furhter. I came down one of the blue trails if I may call it that and wow that was something else. I really enjoyed it and I had a couple of close calls,but managed to stay on my bike. All I can say is that I'm getting my Activity card this week and can't wait to get back there.

Tokai does that to you. You’ll also find loads of friendly guys who can give directions and tips. Just chat.

Glad you had an awesome time. There is a lot to explore around this way. The nek through to kirstenbosch is a good ride as well. On the safety front, i’ve Had no issues at all in 10 years around Constantia, Greenbelts, Rhodes mem’, blockhouse etc that’s not to say there aren’t incidents but in my experience they have been in the Rhodes area. I ride there a lot and always alone.

If you ride alone more worry about what might happen if you crash out. Just make sure people know where you’re riding and get a emergency app like Namola. I’ve crashed in Tokai before and realised I had no emergency contact details. Had to get myself out late afternoon with a with a broken wrist, collarbone and fractured pelvis then drive to the hospital. Wasn’t that fun but the bike was okay and I stopped my Strava!