Vetplant

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

105 kms of tarmac 

AvV 

And the quality of the chase, other than the team strategy executed by Anna, was the best of the best

Geez

These rollers and hills, like the tide coming in, incessantly

Pic: Bettini Photo

3TPBTBmQTQccmWic7FushG.jpg

Edited by 'Dale

"It was all a little bit crazy. I'm a little crazy. I train a lot and I think that also helped me a lot today, to be ready for such a big effort. People know I train a lot of hours on the bike and that helped me today."
"There's so many emotions; my mother's here and that's special for me, my father a little but too because I was also wearing the earrings I had in Rio. It was a big win to already be the time trial world champion but on the road you can wear it so much more often. I was really going into the moment at the finish line. I really enjoyed all the crowds, Yorkshire was crazy today and they were all cheering for me. I had goose bumps."

AvV

Just watched the footage of Eekhoff being paced by the Dutch team car for 2 1/2 minutes until he gets back into the convoy of cars - this is an extract from it. Absolutely no doubt that the UCI jury made the right decision in disqualifying him #Yorkshire2019 https://t.co/yAV5XPSzFo

That's a long tow, but

I still feel for the dude.

Motorpacing happens all the time after crashes, when last was someone dsq, let alone fined for it?dutchie thought it was ok, because he sees world tour riders doing it all the time and getting away with it.

Like the poor nam scrumhalf getting pinged TWICE for putting the ball in skew at the scrum today. It is the most ignored rule in rugby, and he was almost justified in calling the ref a dick for singling him out

Astana and roglic taking a nice 60 second shelter in the crosswinds. The problem is not with the rule, it's the random enforcement of it.

Is a minute ok, but two minutes not?

post-1830-0-90234500-1569688913_thumb.pngpost-1830-0-04069600-1569689086_thumb.png

Fortunately for cycling everyone will remember him being handed the jersey on a platter.

You making out like the guy ‘won’ with a 2 min lead on everyone. He ‘won’ by a split second. Take out his motor pacing behind a car for +2minutes and I doubt the result would be the same.

Astana and roglic taking a nice 60 second shelter in the crosswinds. The problem is not with the rule, it's the random enforcement of it.

Is a minute ok, but two minutes not?

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20190928-183906.pngattachicon.gifScreenshot_20190928-184013.png

So do you have an issue with them enforcing it, or not enforcing it there?

I have no issue with a clear infringement going punished. I also think more people should get time penalties for sticky bottles or too many assisted medical hang ons in a certain amount of time.

Policing things isn't always cut and dry though. That car was clearly motopacing Eekhof with intent. Often the guys guilty of a bit of a pull do so on cars at the back of the group that just dropped them on their way back for a slingshot. No intent from the car.

This is pretty different. 

So do you have an issue with them enforcing it, or not enforcing it there?

I have no issue with a clear infringement going punished. I also think more people should get time penalties for sticky bottles or too many assisted medical hang ons in a certain amount of time.

Policing things isn't always cut and dry though. That car was clearly motopacing Eekhof with intent. Often the guys guilty of a bit of a pull do so on cars at the back of the group that just dropped them on their way back for a slingshot. No intent from the car.

This is pretty different.

Agreed, this was a team effort. Intent was clear.

We can however say that there is little doubt that the rider is a machine and will win races on his own too.

I did a quick calc with the youtube clip, google maps and strava for interest sake.

Eekhoff did about 2.1km over 2min at an average speed of 63km/h behind the car. At some point he passed rider no. 29 (Andreas Stokbro) who despite doing a little more than 800W 500W average (Strava estimate) for the same section does not look like he made it back to the peloton. https://www.strava.com/activities/2746051539/overview

Edit: his fall happened little under 2km prior to the camera picking him up, So more like 4km / 4min of motor pacing.

Edited by DuncanCT

Just watched the footage of Eekhoff being paced by the Dutch team car for 2 1/2 minutes until he gets back into the convoy of cars - this is an extract from it. Absolutely no doubt that the UCI jury made the right decision in disqualifying him #Yorkshire2019 https://t.co/yAV5XPSzFo

Times have changed it seems. . . . It used to be so normal and accepted to do this.

Where are the days that when the judges announced beforehand they where gonna be strict on this for the day. So that at team breefing you could be told stay away from our car but we have a deal with car 12 and 17 so look out for them and they will take care of you ;).

Or those lovely wheel racks on the back of the boot that stuck out just enough so that you could hold on to them.

Or when you could pace your national team car for at least 5k's just behind the main pack in the ladies tour of Flanders to make sure you got to your next spectating spot before the lead group did.

We actually trained on this motor pacing in the nineties. 

Though I can understand on the other side:

Have seen guys lying on the back seat after going through the rear window.

And myself been behind a car that needed to emergency brake. Sadly before go pro days We slowed from 75k/h to 40 with my front wheel sticking to the road and the rear bumper whilst the back wheel was definitely non near the tar.