Helderberg Trails - Safe to ride alone?

Phil Williams

Hi all, ill be in CT for a couple of days at the end of September. Even though its a work trip, the bike will definitely be coming along! Unfortunately i don't know any riders and would love to check out the Helderberg Trails.. So, is it safe to ride alone there? Any suggestions to trails that are safe to ride alone in the area?

TIA
Cheers 

In terms of crime, yes 100% safe. I ride alone there at least once a week.

The trails are a bit more techy the higher up you go, so just stay within your limits because getting down the mountain alone with a broken collarbone will be a challenge. But I guess that applies to any trail network.

Enjoy it!!

Been ridding alone there for years without problems. Have not heard of any either. I guess maybe just for safety don't head all the way to the mast solo, it's a lot more rocky heading down from there, just in case the undesirable happens.

In terms of crime, yes 100% safe. I ride alone there at least once a week.

The trails are a bit more techy the higher up you go, so just stay within your limits because getting down the mountain alone with a broken collarbone will be a challenge. But I guess that applies to any trail network.

Enjoy it!!

Shot for the reply! Walking/checking the features before dropping in is a must for me as i cant afford to 'koop grond' since im on a business trip actually  :ph34r: Ill be heading out there on the Sat. afternoon (28 Sept) and Sunday morning (29th) if anyone reading this thread was thinking of heading out there!

I guess maybe just for safety don't head all the way to the mast solo, it's a lot more rocky heading down from there, just in case the undesirable happens.

That is my standard solo ride. It's not that bad if you don't take any of the left forks. .

Remember to pack your climbing legs. We don't call it Steilte for nothing.

That is my standard solo ride. It's not that bad if you don't take any of the left forks. .

Remember to pack your climbing legs. We don't call it Steilte for nothing.

Yeah, but we live there, we know every rock and pebble by now. I built my climbing legs on that mountain.

Shot for the reply! Walking/checking the features before dropping in is a must for me as i cant afford to 'koop grond' since im on a business trip actually :ph34r: Ill be heading out there on the Sat. afternoon (28 Sept) and Sunday morning (29th) if anyone reading this thread was thinking of heading out there!

I'm free on the 29th.

The only dangerous creatures you will encounter on that mountain are the few Puffies and Cobras that call it their home. Very safe there. Actually, probably the safest trails around except for Jonkers.

Be advised though that the trails are quite techie now after the rain season and is washed out so are more rocky than usual. Almost had an involuntary dismount on the red trail next to the black trail with the rock garden last weekend.

Edited by Moridin

I have newfound, way too intimate knowledge of a couple of rocks on my latest Helderberg plot that I bought Tuesday.

Waar het jy neergebliksem Philip? Ek wil gaan kyk want ek weet jy is major skilled.

Shot for the replies so far okes! Andrew got in touch with me and offered to show me around which I'm stoked about. Will be my first time riding in CT

Not sure you can ride this weekend though, weather predicts rain for all of Saturday.

Shot for the replies so far okes! Andrew got in touch with me and offered to show me around which I'm stoked about. Will be my first time riding in CT

Awesome man. Make sure he takes you to Eden Forest/G-Spot/Coetzenburg also. Only about 12km from Helderberg on the way to Stellies. You can cycle there in a blits.

How do you get from Monte Marie to Helderberg,do you have to go along the Tar Road?I ride G-Spot all the time,i'd like to connect all the Trails