Giro d'Italia 2020

Gen

Sooooo, to stir a bit

If Sagan did not have the additional weight of disks and the extra aerodynamic drag, perhaps he could have won?

1. All 3 had discs

2. Aren't heavier bikes better in a straight line for sprinting?

Dunno..... I'm over the 'disc vs Rim' debate. Also, those new Spaz disc bikes weigh in at around 6.95kg. ALSO, Sagan isn't a climber, so weight isn't his main metric of performance. The weight helps get over the climbs, but has little to no positive impact in a sprint.

I think he would have won if Demare wasn't stronger than him on the day

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. All 3 had discs

Dunno..... I'm over the 'disc vs Rim' debate. Also, those new Spaz disc bikes weigh in at around 6.95kg. ALSO, Sagan isn't a climber, so weight isn't his main metric of performance. The weight helps get over the climbs, but has little to no positive impact in a sprint.

I think he would have won if Demare wasn't stronger than him on the day

Not disagreeing, just mentioning that weight still needs to be accelerated. The faster you need to accelerate, the more input (power) is needed.

PS. edit: For sprinters its more important where the weight is. Rotational mass, inertia and momentum plays a big role.

Edited by JA-Q001

Don't you mean stiffer?

Well they have already accelerated? 

Also, stiffer vs heavier.... So, once a larger mass is moving, it moves faster for longer with less effort to keep it moving faster. So Inertia comes into play. But again, the differences in their body weights probably influences this more, which illustrates how silly it is pointing out a 300g discrepancy in a sprint.

So a sprint like that, long, drawn out and not 'led out' means that a weight advantage would assist them in being able to maintain their top speed, provided they had the legs.

So no. I feel as though this 'equipment quibble' should be put to rest.

Concentrating one 1 metric and disregarding many other relevant factors is dumb and really ill informed.

Dynamics is seriously complicated when it comes to something like a sprint and the focus going into 'weight' by all the armchair engineers without looking at the big picture is tiresome

Well they have already accelerated? 

Also, stiffer vs heavier.... So, once a larger mass is moving, it moves faster for longer with less effort to keep it moving faster. So Inertia comes into play. But again, the differences in their body weights probably influences this more, which illustrates how silly it is pointing out a 300g discrepancy in a sprint.

So a sprint like that, long, drawn out and not 'led out' means that a weight advantage would assist them in being able to maintain their top speed, provided they had the legs.

So no. I feel as though this 'equipment quibble' should be put to rest.

Concentrating one 1 metric and disregarding many other relevant factors is dumb and really ill informed.

Dynamics is seriously complicated when it comes to something like a sprint and the focus going into 'weight' by all the armchair engineers without looking at the big picture is tiresome

From my armchair and reading a few posts here, I'd go with a stiffer bike, so it can get to the desired speed quicker. As you point out, weight of the rider is far more than a few 100 grams between bikes, so the inertia thing would be dependant on that. Doesn't it make more sense then to accelerate the total mass of bike and rider as quickly as possible?

I assume the peloton looked at the weather forecast and thought "bugger this". Roads look very slippery.

Still showing highlights from yesterday.....

Coverage only from 12:20

And what do I see when I checked twitter for updates

#Giro - BREAKAWAY: Meyer, Denz, Tratnik, Sagan, Narvaez, De Gendt. Peloton trying to close.

#LFRLive

And then this

Another breakaway attempt foiled at km 40

Tratnik (TBM), Sagan (BOH), De Gendt (TLS), Howson (MTS), Narváez (IGD) and Denz (SUN) briefly formed a 6 man breakaway, but attempts to join them brought the peloton back and, at km 40, the group is all together again.

So of course we have a hectic stage and I see nada

Coverage only from 12:20

And what do I see when I checked twitter for updates

#Giro - BREAKAWAY: Meyer, Denz, Tratnik, Sagan, Narvaez, De Gendt. Peloton trying to close.

#LFRLive

:eek:

After 52 km of racing, a breakaway has formed, at last.

38 TRATNIK JAN (TBM) + 17:58

124 HAGEN CARL FREDRIK (LTS) + 8:23

164 GANNA FILIPPO (IGD) + 18:24

167 PUCCIO SALVATORE (IGD) + 19:19

They have been joined by joined by

17 RESTREPO JHONATAN (ANS) + 28:10

141 CARRETERO HÉCTOR (MOV) + 22:21

203 CONTI VALERIO (UAE) + 20:49

218 ZARDINI EDOARDO (THR) + 23:51